I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

carl douglas

Kung-fu / Martial Arts & Hong Kong Movies on UK Television

Film4 will be showing Police Story 3 Supercop on 29th August 2014 at 11.05pm

This is first time in years that years that Channel 4 showed this film, fingers crossed it will be the uncut and English sub version.

Heads up!

Found on another thread.

Film 4 have said that the version of Police Story 3 they will be showing will be the full uncut Cantonese version with subtitles.

So what would be included that isn't in the Dragon dynastyRelease?

Wow. I'm looking forward to seeing Police Story 3: Super Cop uncut, with subs in full HD on the 29th of August at 11:05PM. Don't miss it. I have a feeling it could be a genuine HD transfer from an original source!! Perhaps the UK rights to the film have been sorted out, meaning that this film could be given the DVD treatment it deserves for a UK audience to enjoy. Fingers crossed. :wink:

P.S. If anyone has a HDMI capture card and the film is from a real source rather than an FS upscale, they should consider ripping it and making a custom blu-ray.

Hey guys. If any on you are interested, film4 have released a TV spot for Police Story 3 Supercop and have uploaded some shots from their transfer for you to examine.

Home Page with Police Story 3: http://www.film4.com/

Police Story 3's own page with new TV spot: http://www.film4.com/whats-on/police-story-iii-super-cop-on-film4

Enjoy. :)

Well that was a waste of time. They just showed the upscaled Fortune Star version with doctored subtitles. At least many more people in the UK will be introduced (or rather re-introduced) to a film that has been denied any mainstream release uncut (they show the Miramax version on UK TV quite often but not even that one made it to any media) or at all on DVD, Blu Ray or Television since 1994. Lets just hope that eventually this film will receive the release it deserves but the way I see it, unless Jackie Chan dies, there will be no respect for these films. Same goes for all of Jackie Chan's other HK films.

The only media I own for this film are my pan\scan English dubbed VHS and my Dragon Dynasty DVD with the cut US version. The cuts made to the US version are pretty horrible but not as bad as other movies Scizzorhands released. I like the audio quality of the VHS, the music track is actually audible unlike the horrible remixed versions out there and the English dubbing is very good (much better than the US version). I've seen the HK version many times in pirate form.

I also noticed on Film4's version that they used the Mandarin end theme song instead of the Cantonese one.

The cuts are:

- A scene where the police superiors (Bill Tung, Phillip Chan, etc.) get a briefing about the rising drug trade and Yuen Wah/Kenneth Tsang, and then having a meeting about what to do with it. The superiors eventually hatch the plot of sending in Chan undercover, even though they are not sure if he can do it. 1 minute 24 seconds cut.

- After Chan is told about his mission, there is a bit more between Chan and Bill Tung/Phillip Chan. When Chan leaves, Tung and Phillip Chan discuss whether they have done the right thing or not (relating to the first scene). 51 seconds cut.

-A brief cut when JC arrives at the Military Police Headquarters in China. When he exits the car he looks up at the sign over the entrance. In the Asian version there is a close up shot of the sign. This is removed in the US version as a English caption is given as the car approaches the main entrance. 2 seconds cut.

- When Michelle Yeoh is briefing Chan about the mission, she tries to teach him about the differences between China and Hong Kong, including teaching him some slang words, which Chan messes up horribly. 37 seconds cut.

- After Jackie fights the police cadet and rides the gyroscope, the resulting crash scene is longer. There is brief cut as Michelle and the cadet approach JC as he hangs in the tree and he jokes that next time she must also call him world champion in somersault, and then a brief cut showing Jackie falling out of the tree. 7 seconds cut.

- After Jackie busts Yuen Wah out of the labor camp, the two can be seen treading through pouring rain to meet up with Yuen Wah's buddies. Missing is a brief scene where Jackie reacts to the foul smell of local swine. 20 seconds cut.

- When Michelle Yeoh, Chan and Yuen Wah are going to the restaurant in Chan's "hometown," we see more of the town square. Chan sees puppies in cages & says to Michelle how cruel it is and asks if her Police don't care about it. 44 seconds cut.

- The initial meeting with Kenneth Tsang was cut drastically. In the uncut version, we see two women being shot up with heroin (supposedly to "test" the new shipment). One of them dies and is thrown into the pool. Tsang later confronts one of his men and accuses him of being a traitor and orders him killed. The man is then thrown into the pool (this bit shown in the US version, but doesn't really make sense). For some reason, the video game Tsang is playing is also different. 2 minutes 18 seconds cut.

- After May discovers Jackie at the same hotel resort, she goes ballistic. Later, Jackie approaches her in the lobby to explain that he is undercover. Missing is the following scene where Pierre makes a joke about women before asking Jackie about his truckdriving skills. 24 seconds cut.

Hmmm one day I may look into finding the R3 DVD. How's the quality of the Blu Vs DVD PQ and is it region/area unlocked and uncut?

Well, since you don't have the uncut DVD I will tell you about those too.

Deltamac

Region free NTSC

PA.05464.001.jpg

Non-anamorphic widescreen with Cantonese or Mandarin original mono with English and Chinese subtitles. Uncut with slightly lower PQ then the average DVD. (I own this version)

Zone Culture (?)

Region free NTSC

police_story3.jpg

Remastered version, anamorphic widescreen with DTS, Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Digital 2.0 mono in Cantonese or Mandarin with English subtitles. Uncut. Recommended buy.

KAM

Region 3 NTSC

police-story-3-hk.jpg

Remastered anamorphic widescreen with DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 Cantonese or Mandarin with English subtitles. Uncut. Recommended buy.

Blu-Ray

KAM

Region A

police-story-3-blu-ray-hk.jpg

1080p upscale transfer (Still better PQ then any of the DVDs). Sound has Dolby True HD 7.1, and Dolby Digital EX 6.1. Languages are Cantonese, Mandarin or Thai. English subtitles. Uncut. (I own this version)

This is the only uncut Blu-ray that is English friendly. The only other Blu-ray 's are cut or the Japanese version which is not a upscale but doesn't have any English language option.

Thanks for taking the time to post that. Given I have the Dragon dynasty I wouldn't look at anything that isn't remastered(For this movie) so would have to be between the Fortune Star and Kam, unless I get a better video card I'm not sure about getting the Blu-ray. But I have plenty of time to think about it.

For the UK fans. Sammo Hungs New Wave masterpiece BLADE OF FURY is on TCM tonight. Yes YOU READ THAT CORRECTLY. Blade of Fury on TCM at 11:30. If you live in the UK and have sky/virgin/cable whatever set your recorders. If you have never seen this before you are in for a treat. And bonus those with a HD subsription get to see it in HD

For the UK fans. Sammo Hungs New Wave masterpiece BLADE OF FURY is on TCM tonight. Yes YOU READ THAT CORRECTLY. Blade of Fury on TCM at 11:30. If you live in the UK and have sky/virgin/cable whatever set your recorders. If you have never seen this before you are in for a treat. And bonus those with a HD subsription get to see it in HD

Thanks, Ill record that for future viewing.

It seems TCM is showing kung-fu films again like Rush Hour, etc. OUATIC 5 will be shown on the 25th of June at 22.55pm.

Am I right in thinking that is the one directed by Sammo?