I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

carl douglas

Kung-fu / Martial Arts & Hong Kong Movies on UK Television

I kind of take the granted a lot of the more recent Jet Li , Jackie Chan, van Damme, Seagal etc as they get fairly regular showings. But when I'm flicking through the guide and find something a bit less mainstream I take notice. Would be nice especially on free TV if there was more on with some regularity

I know what u mean, sometimes i occasionally watch the odd one, but ive got all JCVD Seagal on dvd, but there was on cbs action i think a month ago a couple of Gary Daniels Movies City of Fear, Cold Harvest and Queens Messenger i think if i remember correctly :)

But i do like Kiss of the Dragon its a pretty good Jet Li Modern flick.... but CBS action is quite good if u catch it at the right time theres the odd american MA movies from the 90s Bloodmoon has been on King of the Kickboxers also Excessive Force 2 which was a flop but i still enjoyed it, i also actually just remember last month on movies 24 the Thomas Ian Griffith classic (Not) Behind Enemy Lines was on

don't get me wrong Kiss of the Dragon is one of my favourite Jet Li movies and definitely one of the best regularly shown martial arts action movies on (at least free) TV. Unfortunately I don't get those satellite channels only regular free view or i'd check those channels out. I'm amazed this genre isn't well loved by mainstream (male) audiences who love action films & MA isn't more succesful.

I know guys who will watch ANY and all action movies in sight, Bourne, Bond, Expendables, those awful MMA flicks etc. But even if I put a gun to their head, I couldn't get them to watch like SPL, Flashpoint, Ip Man, let alone some of the older stuff. And if I even mention Jackie or even Bruce, they basically just scoff and laugh like it's a joke. Maybe it's the asian thing, I don't know. But I think MA/KF movies has one of the worst reps in movies, certainly within the action spectrum.... it's baffling.

one of those movies4men channels often plays bruce lee a warriors journey..

can anyone verify me if my lucky stars ever played on sky? My memory tells me it was shown on bravo during the late 90's but im finding it hard to believe?

Guest Markgway
one of those movies4men channels often plays bruce lee a warriors journey..

can anyone verify me if my lucky stars ever played on sky? My memory tells me it was shown on bravo during the late 90's but im finding it hard to believe?

I think it was Bravo. They showed the dubbed version.

I think it was Bravo. They showed the dubbed version.

i remember the specific scene that was cut from the UK version..blockhead thrashes into another vehicle caused by sandy's mind power training stint.

bravo played both eng dub and sub versions of HK films..they played the victim eng dubbed which i recorded.

I know guys who will watch ANY and all action movies in sight, Bourne, Bond, Expendables, those awful MMA flicks etc. But even if I put a gun to their head, I couldn't get them to watch like SPL, Flashpoint, Ip Man, let alone some of the older stuff. And if I even mention Jackie or even Bruce, they basically just scoff and laugh like it's a joke. Maybe it's the asian thing, I don't know. But I think MA/KF movies has one of the worst reps in movies, certainly within the action spectrum.... it's baffling.

I know kung fu has a bad name, even I myself were put off to some degree of bad martial arts movies with awful dubbing. Nevertheless surely the hero being Asian wouldn't make a difference, would it? To some degree I can understand not wanting to watch those Donnie Yen films ( Ip Man excluded) as they are pretty dull when the action isn't running. But when you look at the traditional Hong Kong action movie before China took over Hong Kong, the action quota and skills were just phenomenal . Even if you don't like the more fanciful moves, there's some really truly violent stuff . You know you actually may have hit the nail on the head maybe it is an Asian thing? I mean why the hell are people paying to watch Jean-Claude Van Damme or even Stephen Seagal?maybe becausethey are white?

I can understand those action movie ffans that want a story. yet the average action junkie should be in martial arts/action Nirvana

Guest Markgway
I mean why the hell are people paying to watch Jean-Claude Van Damme or even Stephen Seagal?maybe becausethey are white?

Maybe because they're films have plots and characterisation?

For a mainstream audience there's too much kung fu in old school kung fu movies. The average person would be bored by fight/training sequences that comprise two-thirds the running time. Sometimes I get bored and I'm used to them. There's only a tiny minority that could watch The Young Master and think 'I wish there was more kung fu!'

There are kung fu movies with clever plots, rich characters, and smart dialogue... but not too many of them.

Maybe because they're films have plots and characterisation?

For a mainstream audience there's too much kung fu in old school kung fu movies. The average person would be bored by fight/training sequences that comprise two-thirds the running time. Sometimes I get bored and I'm used to them. There's only a tiny minority that could watch The Young Master and think 'I wish there was more kung fu!'

There are kung fu movies with clever plots, rich characters, and smart dialogue... but not too many of them.

Mark you're seriously saying Van Damme/Seagal movies have plot/characterisation?:tongue:

When it comes down to it "those films" are watched for action, I'd bet most want more action. Maybe it's just exposure? I'm sure if audiences were treated to modern martial arts(non wire fu) in popular/ mainstream cinema more regularly by stars who can perform & properperly choregraphed, "western" audiences would enjoy. Currently action in hollywood is shite, no-one seems able to make good action imho. CGI & comic book movies have killed the action movie.

Guest Markgway
Mark you're seriously saying Van Damme/Seagal movies have plot/characterisation?:tongue:

Compared to Chinese kung fu movies? Yes. Definitely.

A bit of topic but....

Timeshift: Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting - The Rise of Martial Arts in Britain

Time - 22:00 to 23:00 (1 hour long).

When - Sunday 24th February on BBC 4

Documentary on the rise of martial arts in the UK, from the early days of bartitsu, through judo and karate to kung fu. Includes footage of the impact the various techniques have had on British culture, including gold medal-winning performances, how Arthur Conan Doyle immortalised martial arts in his Sherlock Holmes stories, and karate's link to aftershave.

source: http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/vggnx/timeshift--timeshift-everybody-was-kung-fu-fighting---the-rise-of-martial-arts-in-britain

it's dubbed. I recorded it before just to see..

Miramax..

I wonder why thunderbolt was subbed not dubbed in that case? Either way it's still good that the movie is being shown over here at all as I'm sure many people haven't seen it in the UK with no DVD release whatsoever.

Guest Markgway
btw was the original release of supercop aka police story 3 (eng dub rental) longer than the re-dubbed cinema release of it?

You mean the 1993 Imperial tape? It was the uncut HK version.

it's dubbed. I recorded it before just to see..

Miramax..

Yes it just finished & it was dubbed & the Miramax version.

Still I did enjoy it thank you for letting me know it was on blue_skies.

I enjoyed more than I remember liking it the first time, maybe 5 years ago now cos it feel very parted from the first 2 POLICE STORY's at the time or something.