I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

carl douglas

Kung-fu / Martial Arts & Hong Kong Movies on UK Television

Surprised to see in my Listing magazine that IP MAN is showing on Thursday 9/6/11 at 10.40pm on Film 4. Like most of us who seen it or have the dvd. Let's watch this, and give a good rating for Martial Art movies on UK TV!!

It's such a fresh air for UK TV to show this. Let's hope this is the beginning!!

If anyone is interested the UK channel, "Film4" will show Jackie Chan classic "Snake in the Eagle's Shadow". It's on Saturday 14th April (2012) at 11.25pm. According to the magazine "Radiotimes" it will be shown in Widescreen, Cantonese with Eng. Subs and in HD.

Heads up!

Also Radiotimes gave it 4 out of 5 stars:wink:

Not just Snake.....but Ip Man 1 + 2 are on film4 20/4/12 too...HOW EXCITING!!! oh wait like Snake......I have both Ip Man fliks on DVD too....so never mind. Ashes of Time is on 16/4/12 aswell.....YAWN.

Guest Markgway
Does Film4 have an HD channel?

Yes.

I haven't seen Ip Man 2 yet so I'll be checking that one out for sure.

Yes.

I haven't seen Ip Man 2 yet so I'll be checking that one out for sure.

You havent seen it! and you call yourself a fan....lol....

Get ready for some serious Rocky 4 flashbacks...:xd:...the first half is great tho.

remember the days when filmfour film on four was a subscription channel, no adverts and quite recent and classic world cinema on the daily..

My video recorder wa son fire back then..so many exclusives and seasons to keep you hooked!!

the takeshi mike and kitano seasons were brilliant.

btw seeing snake in the ..on tv listings was like when i read that two crippled heroes was on channel 4 on some disability special night..!!!

Just watched it!

Fantastic! Widescreen, Cantonese and beautiful transfer!

May have been uncut too as the cat/snake fight was quite long ..was this cut usually in uk for usual animal cruelty reasons?

very nice ... wish there was more old skool stuff...

I remember when channel 4 (not filmfour) had hong kong seasons at about midnight ..spooky encounters , mr vampire , Zu and KF movies ...ah memories...

Just watched it!

Fantastic! Widescreen, Cantonese and beautiful transfer!

May have been uncut too as the cat/snake fight was quite long ..was this cut usually in uk for usual animal cruelty reasons?

I remember when channel 4 (not filmfour) had hong kong seasons at about midnight ..spooky encounters , mr vampire , Zu and KF movies ...ah memories...

just about to post relating the cat/snake fight. It was certainly longer than the made in hong kong release. The original vhs (eng dub) had the full snake/cat scene in, and this version did show something similar in length.

I didn't like the soundtrack of this compared to the western version.

I too remember the channel four HK season. The Xmas midnight presented by J Ross.

I'm going to send a e-mail asking for more. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt the chances if anybody else did the same.

remember the days when filmfour film on four was a subscription channel, no adverts and quite recent and classic world cinema on the daily..

I remember those days. I used to subscribe on and off. I subscribed for the month if there was two martial arts movies in That period:tongue:

just about to post relating the cat/snake fight. It was certainly longer than the made in hong kong release. The original vhs (eng dub) had the full snake/cat scene in, and this version did show something similar in length.

I love this film, but never felt happy watching that scene.

I also watched it and it's the best version I've seen. I have the vcd and the hkl dvd and this version was much better as it was in cantonese, english subbed, and more wide than the hkl dvd. I remember the hkl opening credits shown completely wide but it changes to fit the screen when the movie starts. This version retains the same widescreen from the opening credits to the rest of the movie. I do think the snake/cat fight was cut from film4 as I remember seeing more in the vcd version with the snake wrapped around the cat and the cat jumping all over the place.

Anybody here know if this version or another version with the proper widescreen was ever released on dvd?

I also watched it and it's the best version I've seen. I have the vcd and the hkl dvd and this version was much better as it was in cantonese, english subbed, and more wide than the hkl dvd. I remember the hkl opening credits shown completely wide but it changes to fit the screen when the movie starts. This version retains the same widescreen from the opening credits to the rest of the movie. I do think the snake/cat fight was cut from film4 as I remember seeing more in the vcd version with the snake wrapped around the cat and the cat jumping all over the place.

Anybody here know if this version or another version with the proper widescreen was ever released on dvd?

you are correct.. Thanks! I knew something was missing..

all due respects to your taste, i ultimately prefer the Original Eng dub soundtrack with this soundtrack..

^ that got me hyped like no other as a kid..

The Columbia Tri-Star DVD is uncut and in the original 2:35:1 widescreen. It also has the original English dub and Cantonese audio including the music by Space and Jean-Michel Jarre, which I assume was removed in some versions due to copyright issues.

The Columbia Tri-Star DVD is uncut and in the original 2:35:1 widescreen. It also has the original English dub and Cantonese audio including the music by Space and Jean-Michel Jarre, which I assume was removed in some versions due to copyright issues.

Yes, the English track on the HKL has alternate electronic music - very similar electronic music, as a matter of fact. This dates back to the early 80s at the latest, and can also be heard on one of the theatrical trailers, so it's not a recent score. I suspect it was done for the US theatrical release in 1982 - ditto the alternate Drunken Master dub.

The print HKL used had the original Chinese credits - which only credit Ng See Yuen and Yuen Woo Ping with simulataneous English text. The Tristar disc uses an English print which refers to Chan as "Chen Loong" rather than the usual "Jacky Chan."

sifu iron perm: Actually I watched the eng dubbed version first on video but was really young and couldn't remember much about it. I watched the vcd years later and thought the music sounded different!

JustinB: Are you referring to the dvd released by Sony?

I watched SITES on Saturday too on Film4. Was happy to see it. And liked the small hardcoded subs, as posed to the usual big white or yellow dvd subs.

The print was softer and less saturated than the Sony dvd, but seems to be framed the same.

ie: More cropping than some other prints.

I compared against my Sony dvd and it appeared to be the exact same audio track (exact same physical source), but the dvd audio had been muffled to apparently improve the quality. I preferred the Film4 sound. :D More clarity.

And although I think both english dubs with their differing scores should be on a dvd, to give one the choice.

I would always choose the english dub with the original HK score. :D Coz that's how I first saw it.

The Ninja also caught this on film4. It was quite an experience to watch it for the first time ever in Cantonese with proper translated subtitles and not some whack ass dubtitles.

Saying that though, I must say I prefer the original old skool English dub with the music that can be found on the HKL DVD. Thats the BEST music score to SITES in my opinion! Man what I wouldn't give to have a proper soundtrack of that score on CD. From the opening music over the intro, the awesome music during the training scenes with Yuen Siu Tin and the cool music when Charlie Chan arrives back from the tournament, this is clearly the best soundtrack audio!!

I was really disappointed when HKL never released their two disk platinum edition of Snake In The Eagle's Shadow. It was gonna be a new remastered print in it's proper aspect ration with the awesome music score! And packed full of extras, such as the infamous Hwang Jang Lee interview!

Someone should really do a custom job of SITES for the fans by taking the video from the French HKV DVD (which has the best pic quality) and synching it with the English Dub with the awesome soundtrack from the HKL DVD.

Make sure you drop the Ninja a PM to let me know if anyone completes the custom job.

the subtitles on Film 4 weren't that good. Missing lots of dialogue lines and names and stuff. They were pretty limited. Some parts weren't subbed at all.

And you sure the HKVideo print is best? Their Drunken Master print wasn't, if that's anything to go by. It has sort of ghosting and lack of colour in some scenes. Plus pink skin tones. I'm thinking their SITES will be the same.

I think the Sony print is great, but I haven't seen the Mei Ah dvd to compare.