I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

DarthKato

What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

I did write a few notes on it (this might save you some time, though it is worth watching); had some trouble with the accent:
Wu Ma was also shooting another film angering Wang Tao, stating again he did not like being producer. [not sure which film this would have been, Wu did a few that year]

That would be interesting to find out. I guess it would most likely be a film that was shooting in Taiwan also, such as The Murder of Murders (The Massive) or Snake Crane Secret. I know Naval Commandos was at least partially shot in Taiwan if not all of it.

Recently saw Soul brothers of Kung fu.Say what you like about Bruce Li but he did make some entertaining films and in my opinion this is one of his best.Great film great cast and great choreography although Lo meng at times looks a little awkward in the modern day fight settings( I think he's better suited in the classic shaw bros movies)and Carl Scott is is the brother from another mutha when he shows his stuff.great stuff

Recently saw Soul brothers of Kung fu.Say what you like about Bruce Li but he did make some entertaining films and in my opinion this is one of his best.Great film great cast and great choreography although Lo meng at times looks a little awkward in the modern day fight settings( I think he's better suited in the classic shaw bros movies)and Carl Scott is is the brother from another mutha when he shows his stuff.great stuff

We have a lot of Ho Chung Tao fans around here, don't worry - and I agree he's great and his movies are a lot of fun.  :cool 

Bruce Li  and  Carl Scott  also played  in Bruce Lee the man,the myth

Soul Brothers Of Kung Fu is an entertaining film. I prefer that title to the U.K one which was Secret Of Bruce Lee. Hwang Jang Lee makes a great addition to the cast too. I'm not sure about the painted up Hong Kong stuntmen in the karate uniforms wearing wigs though. 

One Foot Crane (1979) Lily Li and Lo Lieh. How could I not like that?   A better print and native dub would have been nice, but the YouTube watch was fun.  Some really nice work from Lily (like David Chiang really upped her game martial arts wise.)  She's great fun to watch in action. 

One Foot Crane (1979) Lily Li and Lo Lieh. How could I not like that?   A better print and native dub would have been nice, but the YouTube watch was fun.  Some really nice work from Lily (like David Chiang really upped her game martial arts wise.)  She's great fun to watch in action. 

Glad you enjoyed it. I wished she had done more crane and less swordplay, though. Did you watch it because of my review?

Glad you enjoyed it. I wished she had done more crane and less swordplay, though. Did you watch it because of my review?

Yes, and too, to see more of Lily's martial work. :smile  I agree Doc, more of Lily performing the Crane style would have been great. 

I recently watched Chase Step By Step (1974)

You can find my thoughts here http://www.shaolinchamber36.com/kungfufandom/index.php?/topic/21675-chase-step-by-step-1974/

My next review will be for the December Mutual Movie Review thread. There's a film Ive already got lined up to watch. Looking forward to seeing what other members will be contributing to the thread.

Edited by DragonClaws

"Dragon Fist" starring Jackie Chan and James Tien

That excellent flick is in my JC top5. I did not like it that much in past when had seen only edited version but ultrabit edition I got some years back was terrific viewing experience.

Storyline is quite wellcrafted and fights are superb. Hmm, I still have shaolin wooden men dvd as sealed. Not sure if I ever saw it from vhs but I think gonna check it today...

Magnificent bodyguards is also one jc very early flick I rate highly.

That excellent flick is in my JC top5. I did not like it that much in past when had seen only edited version but ultrabit edition I got some years back was terrific viewing experience.

Storyline is quite wellcrafted and fights are superb. Hmm, I still have shaolin wooden men dvd as sealed. Not sure if I ever saw it from vhs but I think gonna check it today...

Magnificent bodyguards is also one jc very early flick I rate highly.

I too highly rate Dragon Fist, I should watch Spiritual King Fu and Shaolin Wooden Men, since in old JC mood. Magnificent Bodyguards is an interesting film, crazy gangs, swordplay flick.

7 Star Grand Mantis (aka Gay Woman from Shantung) (1983) - This Korean production was the final installment in director Kim Seon-gyeong's ('Magnificent Wonderman from Shaolin') loosely related Shantung Trilogy.  The first two installments consisted of 'Incredible Shaolin Thunderkick' (aka 'Water Retailer of Shantung') and 'Shantung Chinese Restaurant', both from 1982.  All the movies feature the same principal cast, headlined by Benny Tsui and Eagle Han (who also takes on action choreographer duties on all three), and are what could be called broad kung-fu comedies.

In popular opinion '7 Star Grand Mantis' seems to be regarded as the weakest of the three, and despite having personally not seen the previous two, having recently got through giving it a watch it becomes easy to see why.  Benny Tsui plays a blabbering talentless fool, much like he did in 'Raging Master's Tiger Crane', who meets an old beggar played by Eagle Han, who of course is a kung-fu expert and eventually trains Tsui so that they can drive out some villains from the town.  It's worth noting that there's also another principal cast member, an actress who plays the character of the original film title, however on both kmdb and hkmdb there are no details listed as to who she is.  It's a shame, as she brightens up the movie considerably, thanks to being both attractive and able to kick butt.  I have a shallow mind.

The comedy is teeth gratingly bad, and takes up a torturous hour plus of the run time.  It's also absurdly sexual in nature.  The beginning has a bunch of bad guys stripping both Tsui and Han, and then later on Tsui cross dresses to disguise himself as a girl.  He ends up being assaulted by a rather robust henchman with pigtails, who not realizing it's a guy, attempts to rape him (onscreen it comes across a lot less serious than it does in writing), however that's not the absurd part.  The absurd part is that there's a couple of henchmen watching on, one of whom is bald, and as they're watching one proceeds to start caressing the bald ones head, before kissing it and falling out of view behind some rocks.  Weird.  Tsui also distracts an opponent later on by kissing him.

The action itself ranges from the mediocre to actually quite decent.  Tsui spends all but the finale basically being beaten up whenever he comes across the bad guys, until of course he masters what's referenced as the 7 Star Grand Mantis.  The style actually has nothing to do with mantis kung-fu at all, it's Korean so of course is all about the kicks.  The title is referenced only in the dubbing, and was slapped on for US distribution with little or no regard for it relating to the movie itself.  Tsui doesn't really get to let loose here like he does in the finale of 'Raging Master's Tiger Crane', however Eagle Han adequately compensates, with some rapid fire exchanges and acrobatic kicks against Gwon Seong-ryong.  The finishing move of the final fight though is definitely more comedy than kung-fu, and will likely leave you flabbergasted.

& yes, if you're looking at the poster below and wondering if there's a scene in which the cast get semi-naked, cover themselves in gold paint, and wield a random selection of pots and pans, you'd be correct.

Entry at kmdb - http://www.kmdb.or.kr/eng/vod/vod_basic.asp?nation=K&p_dataid=03683

7StarGrandMantis+1983-63-b.jpg

Clip (Spoiler Warning - This is the finale, so if you still want to check out the movie, I'd avoid watching the below) - 

Watched "Shaolin Wooden Men",  might need to give old JC films a miss for now.

What are your thoughts on Shaolin Wooden Men weier78?.

Nice review One Armed Boxer, just when I think Ive watched the strangest Korean Kung Fu flick I hear about another that tops it.

Edited by DragonClaws

What are your thoughts on Shaolin Wooden Men weier78?.

Nice review One Armed Boxer, just when I think Ive watched the strangest Korean Kung Fu flick I hear about another that tops it.

It is a good film, if you stack it for what else was around that stage in the 1970s. Actually a good story with a nice twist, and even having JC character so respective to his master (even though his master is one evil guy), even to the very end, was a good change up from the normal storylines. I am not much of a Kam Kong fan, don't know why JC and Chi-hwa Chen chose him to be the main villian in so many of the JC's early work, so I find his character ok, but his action scenes seem to slow the film down.  I enjoyed the training scenes, who doesn't like watching JC running up stone steps, with iron shoes and holding buckets of water with a hole, or learning a snake style in a grease pit.

Yep, a perfect description why Wooden Men is a good movie.  Kam Kong and Jackie are great together.  The fights aren't among the best of the best but Jackie gives easily one of the best fighting performances from 1976. 

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir

It is a good film, if you stack it for what else was around that stage in the 1970s. Actually a good story with a nice twist, and even having JC character so respective to his master (even though his master is one evil guy), even to the very end, was a good change up from the normal storylines. I am not much of a Kam Kong fan, don't know why JC and Chi-hwa Chen chose him to be the main villian in so many of the JC's early work, so I find his character ok, but his action scenes seem to slow the film down.  I enjoyed the training scenes, who doesn't like watching JC running up stone steps, with iron shoes and holding buckets of water with a hole, or learning a snake style in a grease pit.

Like Morgoth has already pointed out you've pretty much summed the film up there. Kam Kong is not the most exciting screen fighter but I like him as a villain and he has a good screen presence. I love the monk character who appears to just spend his days wobbling around the temple drunk. Miu Tak San who plays the drunken monk featured in a lot of the Lo Wei produced Jackie Chan films. 

I find Kam Kong to be uneven. Despite having been trained by Dorian Tan Tao Liang, I don't think his kicks were all that fantastic. They could be high and powerful, but never flashy. But he was a great villain in Master of the Flying Guillotine and Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin. Some of his other appearances, like A Girl Called Tigress and Against the Drunken Cat's Paw, were less impressive in my opinion.

I find Kam Kong to be uneven. Despite having been trained by Dorian Tan Tao Liang, I don't think his kicks were all that fantastic. They could be high and powerful, but never flashy. But he was a great villain in Master of the Flying Guillotine and Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin. Some of his other appearances, like A Girl Called Tigress and Against the Drunken Cat's Paw, were less impressive in my opinion.

That's interesting Doc, he looked liked he could handle Chan easy in S&CAOS. Ive never watched the last two productions you mentioned. I wonder how long he trained with Tan Tao Liang for?.

I always found Kam Kong to be a great actor, both as a hero and a villain.  His fighting skills are very good, but his problem is that he's too slow.  He has trouble keeping up with the top performers.  But he's a big guy, so it's understandable. 

Just watch Monkey Kung fu AKA Stroke of death A small-time crook goes in search of the other half of a wooden keepsake which will lead him to the legendary kung fu technique of the Gibbon Clan Fist.

Edited by bearpower