Jump to content

I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

DarthKato

What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

Recommended Posts

On 8/26/2019 at 4:09 PM, saltysam said:

The Lama Avenger

Bruce Li & Chien Yuet San  team up as theatre performers who get fired and end up visiting Bruce's aunt.Of course the local gangsters want her out of her house so the usual mayhem ensues. Takes it's time getting going, middle tire Bruce Li but not bad overall. And of course it has Chien Yuet San  chanelling his inner Tony Manero...my copy is a VHS to DVD Transfer of the old NTSC tape called Three Avengers (though onscreen title is Duel Of The Dragons) semi widescreen, unfortunately for some reason it's only got left channel audio. As far as i know this is one of the few Ho Chung Tao titles not to see a DVD release ( red sn boots excepted)

This was one of the first kung fu movies I saw as a kid, it was shown on what was called Black Belt Theater that came on tv every Saturday night in the early 80's. I had taped it on a beta VCR  I had and would watch it over and over throughout the week. It had some good fights in it, especially the finale and the comedy was good as well. I wanted one of those red tracksuits with the 2 white stripes down it that Ho Chung Tao wore in the last fight but could never find one anywhere for my parents to buy. Man I miss those simpler times....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DEAF MUTE HEROINE - what a great movie, with lots of fights and atmosphere and above all grand intense performance by Helen Ma. I always wanted to see this, now it's easily available thanks to Schröder Media's AsiaLine. 

Edited by Chu Liu Hsiang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2019 at 12:37 AM, CT KID said:

This was one of the first kung fu movies I saw as a kid, it was shown on what was called Black Belt Theater that came on tv every Saturday night in the early 80's. I had taped it on a beta VCR  I had and would watch it over and over throughout the week. It had some good fights in it, especially the finale and the comedy was good as well. I wanted one of those red tracksuits with the 2 white stripes down it that Ho Chung Tao wore in the last fight but could never find one anywhere for my parents to buy. Man I miss those simpler times....

One of my favourite Bruce Li movies,well made and great fight choreography 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished Drunken Master followed by Snake in the eagles shadow.Like me we have all probably seen these movies many times,and while they are both classics I still prefer Snake over Drunken master.What about the rest of you guys?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

DEAF MUTE HEROINE - what a great movie, with lots of fights and atmosphere and above all grand intense performance by Helen Ma. I always wanted to see this, now it's easily available thanks to Schröder Media's AsiaLine. 

Is it english-friendly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sym8 said:

ust finished Drunken Master followed by Snake in the eagles shadow.Like me we have all probably seen these movies many times,and while they are both classics I still prefer Snake over Drunken master.What about the rest of you guys?

I like/ dislike details in both of them. Drunken Style eventually wins :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sym8 said:

Just finished Drunken Master followed by Snake in the eagles shadow.Like me we have all probably seen these movies many times,and while they are both classics I still prefer Snake over Drunken master.What about the rest of you guys?

SITES as well.  Like the zero to hero story a little better and it’s a tad more serious.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enter the dragon. Surely as said in other topic most iconic MA flick ever made even as it`s far from best. Not even BLs finest(prefer big boss and perhaps FoF too)...

Fun flick to revisit between 2-3 years..Fight between O `Hara and Lee works fine because O`Hara is no match. When Lee teaches him good lesson easily makes him angry and lose face. Had it been fight about equals O´Haras decision to grab bottles would not be as effective.

Saxon and Kelly have some great comic book dialogue...

Hmm, when Lee breaks mirrors in the end there is no scratches in his fists, surely they were hard but not made of steel...

Uhm. should one day to buy this with chinese audio...

:BL-Slap:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Master Strikes

Casanova Wong gets swindled early on, transporting a treasure that mysteriously goes missing and losing everything. He goes mad, two likeable conmen come along to help him and themselves. Not bad,the comedy schtick gets a bit tiring.

72 Desperate Rebels

Chen Sing appears in this one for a whole 5 minutes 😣 at times incoherent storyline but has some ok action, it also has Lung Fei as a zatoichi-like blind swordsman! Barry Chan stars but the highlight is the invincible 7 foot giant who can chew swords with his mouth. The widescreen english dub print on youtube isn't bad at all.

 

Tiger From Hong Kong

An on the run Chang Yi ,framed for murder tries to clear his name. Decent 70's basher featuring the great Lung Fei as a bastard. Again the youtube widescreen english dub print isn't bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

Lung Fei is such a cool villain, shame he seemed to vanish by the mid-80s.

Agreed. That said, he still had a very prolific carreer as he seems to pop up in pretty much every late 1970s Fu flick I watch. I swear that at a point - a few years ago when I'd watch Fu flicks pretty much every week - he was in every single movie I watched. :bs_coveredlaugh:

 

Edit: I just remembered he wasn't always a villain. In the awesome classic Born invincible for instance he was a teacher (or the head ?) of a Kung Fu school that was challenged (and killed) by baddies Carter Wong and Lo Lieh. 

Edited by Secret Executioner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

My latest ramble is a Bobby Kim themed one, with this South Korean production. Those Kung Fu Fandom reader's/followers interested in my write-up, can click on the link below, thank you.

 

 

 

OnlySonforFourGenerations+1977-1-b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dynamite shaolin heroes 1978

Korean movie that seems to take place in Korea...so, at least in the Englsih dubbed version I watched, I don't see what the " Get out the Qings and restore the Mings " has to do with Korea...

There are a lot of fights in this movie, but I couldn't get into it...I felt a strange feeling when watching it...The only familiar face is Lo Lieh's one, and here, he plays one of his bad guys' role.

I said that there are a lot of fights, but frankly, I prefer to watch a Shaws' movie or even a Taiwanese wuxia than this movie, in which the fights looks more like a rehearsal than a real fight (even if I know that there are no " real " fights in movies...).

The main female lead has no fights, and her female bodyguard is killed after just a few minutes (seconds ?) of fighting...

I'll have to revisit it after a while and see if my first impression is still here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

snake and crane arts of shaolin. 8 masters have disappeared and jackie wanders around with book of 8 steps of snake and crane trying to find man with mole shaped mark at his shoulder...Story starts very interesting but unfortunately script did not deliver further much. Could skip over an hour without missing anything important. Some characters introduced and few fights(mostly beating lot inferior enemies)..Eventually jackie reaches man he was looking and mystery revealed...

Even as being fan on Lo Wei jackies more than almost all J movies set on modern time this was not so good one. Was first view and bit disappointed...By no means a big failure, jackie has in the end great battle against kam kong and trio of spear fighters.

Also opening credits spear display is interesting and immediately after that tonfa&swordarmed jackie vs 2 spearman.

Probably takes  long time before watch whole thing again but parts are worth seeing again quite soon...

 

 

Edited by Tex Killer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fighting Ace

John Liu wants to learn kung fu to avenge his parent's death when he was a baby.He ends up with about three different masters as the film progresses.Not bad, some decent fights with a role for Ti Chin, from Way Of The Dragon.I'd like to see this one fully wide.

Moonlight Sword & Jade Lion

Confusing movie has Angela Mao being sent to find her masters missing brother. An underused Don Wong Tao co-stars. As a fan of both,i was disappointed.Nice widescreen print on the dvd, english dubbed.

Dragon Vs Needles Of Death

Not the best basher (our nail throwing hero is a whiny wimp) but i enjoy these 70's bashers so always make allowances. Last 30 minutes or so is non stop action. The blu ray looks ok, worn and scratchy but nice and clear, english dubbed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2019 at 9:07 PM, saltysam said:

Fighting Ace

John Liu wants to learn kung fu to avenge his parent's death when he was a baby.He ends up with about three different masters as the film progresses.Not bad, some decent fights with a role for Ti Chin, from Way Of The Dragon.I'd like to see this one fully wide.

 

Ditto, on the Widescreen thing, and certainly one underatted John Liu film.

 

 

On 9/28/2019 at 9:07 PM, saltysam said:

Dragon Vs Needles Of Death

Not the best basher (our nail throwing hero is a whiny wimp) but i enjoy these 70's bashers so always make allowances. Last 30 minutes or so is non stop action. The blu ray looks ok, worn and scratchy but nice and clear, english dubbed.

 

Sounds like one I need to seek out, so many of those early basher's featured epic finale's. Just when you think you've seen it all, they carry on for anohter ten minutes or so. That said, some of them were just plain rubbish with some really bland, ropey and rough looking action direction.

 

Who is the star of this one?.

 

On 9/28/2019 at 9:07 PM, saltysam said:

Moonlight Sword & Jade Lion

Confusing movie has Angela Mao being sent to find her masters missing brother. An underused Don Wong Tao co-stars. As a fan of both,i was disappointed.Nice widescreen print on the dvd, english dubbed.

 

I wont be watching this production anytime soon, but with Angela Mao and Wong Tao among the cast. I'll have to view it at somepoint in the future. Even if Wong's role just an extended caemo?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Took another deep dive into world of Old-School Martial cinema, with a recent viewing of The Big Risk(1974) a.k.a When Tough Guy's Meet. Any Kung Fu Fandom reader's/followers interested in my ramblethon, please click or tap on the link below, thank you.

 

 

MV5BYWY2ODE5YzQtZmU5OS00OTI0LTgyZTYtMmVj

Edited by DragonClaws

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THE VICTIM - wow for a grand old action fest! Also a great example for Hong Kong's notorious blend of moods. I thought Beardy's unfortunate wife was The Victim until Sammo uttered that phrase. Most hateable role I've seen Chang Yi in so far. I want to see more of Wilson Tong, are there movies where he plays lead? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Wilson Tong faves (based on his role and the action.... not necessarily the movies as a whole)

 

Dirty Kung Fu

Kung Fu Genius

Snake in the Monkey's Shadow

Young Avenger

Snake Deadly Act

Daggers 8

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lucky Stars by Sammo Hung Kam Bo.

 

I’m impressed how good Sammo is at writing. The movie is a lot of fun, with fight scenes at the beginning and the end and pure hk comedy in between. The scene in the haunted house is epic (Chan in an Arale costume is a hoot)!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the Lucky Stars films for the fighting, Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars having Yuen Biao do the greatest bit of martial arts ever filmed :) But I truly struggle through the Eric Tsang, Richard Ng spectrum disorder, sex offender "comedy"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Graeme Of Death said:

sex offender "comedy"

But...but...that resulted in Rosamund Kwan in a wet T-shirt in Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×