DarthKato

What was the last classic martial-arts film you watched?

27 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

It had the English dub, yes. Don't know if it's still avaliable.

looks like it can still be had for around £22 on Ebay, a bit much for a film i didn't mind but didn't love.If i see it below £15 i will reconsider

21 hours ago, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

THE FATE OF LEE KHAN   I have not seen this for a long time, and really enjoyed it. The visual beauty of King Hu movies, great cast, lots of action, nice plot. I love movies set in ancient Chinese inns. Plus a great role for Hu Chin. Hope I can upgrade to bluray one day. 

https://www.amazon.com/Fate-Lee-Khan-Blu-ray/dp/B07SN8RNXF/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=fate+of+lee+khan&qid=1560767564&s=movies-tv&sr=1-1

Haven`t seen movie but trailer looks fine. Cover art too...

Edited by Tex Killer

Return Of The Chinese Boxer

A Jimmy Wang Yu flick without enough Jimmy Wang Yu in it! He only appears sporadically throughout until the climax. The confusing plot about japanese invading China takes a back seat to the outlandish ideas on display, kung fu zombies, a gun slinging Lung Fei as Black Crane, Kam Kong, thai boxers .Many scenes are lifted from the classic Master Of The Flying Guillotine. The german english dubbed blu ray looks great ,again an example of the lesser titles being the best restored.

Hmm...

1- "Drunken Master" (Starring Jackie Chan: 1978) Awesome movie and still one of my favorite Jackie Chan films( Police Story(1985) being my favorite). 

Revisited Born Invincible (Taiwan, 1978) last night. Man, that movie is awesome.

Love Carter Wong as an invincible baddie - his being pretty much invincible, kicking all kinds of ass and having a super high-pitched voice create a very memorable villain, and he teams up with Lo Lieh. Plus, we get a rare occurance of Lung Fei being a good guy, which creates a nice reversal of the usual status quo between him and the likes of Carter Wong.

Hand Of Death

Known as a Jackie Chan movie but in fact he's only a co-star here ,the star being Tan Tao Liang.An early John Woo effort (he also acts in this one). Plenty of Sammo here & James Tien is the baddie.Not bad but not great, the Eureka blu looks very good though it's been reported elsewhere it's missing the blue filter for nighttime shots. Can't say i noticed 😚

Last Hurrah For Chivalry

Excellent John Woo movie,far superior to Hand Of Death-great swordplay action here. The eureka blu ray looked phenomenal on my oled telly.

Back to the Old-School, for my latest write-up all those Kung Fu Fandom reader's/contritubor's out there.

Those interested in my ramblings, can click on the link below, thank's.

MV5BZWY0NGYyNmMtNGRjMS00OWNjLWI5NmYtMGY1

Edited by DragonClaws

Kung Fu Genius 

Cliff Lok kicks ass as master who can pick up styles in the blink of an eye. Hsia Hou and others come to a really bad end from Lee Hoi Sang and Foot Doctor Wilson Tong (not enough footwork, but still excellent shapes on display!) . Worth finding a copy of the custom by Thuglife. Bad comedy bits and off putting humor, but the shapes, wow. Also, Lok was a serious practitioner, and he did real kung fu, not tae kwon do or karate disguised as kung fu, so it's interesting to see him show his moves. Hou is dispatched a little too easily for my tastes, but all and all a good one to watch if you are puttering around in between the "humor".

On 6/28/2019 at 7:56 PM, Chu Liu Hsiang said:

LAST HURRAH FOR CHIVALRY

Wish wires would not have been used in end fight, as nobody did fly before that save one trampoline jump by wei pai...

+too bad otherwise excellent subs in eureka! release some names were changed, green=ching I, magic sword=divine blade and sleeping wizard=sleeping buddha.

Agree, in top5 non-Shaw definitely.

I watched NAKED COMES THE HUNTRESS this evening.

What a superb movie ! I love the way James Tien and the others framed the evil Chen Hsing in order that he makes a mistake and betrays himself !

Am I the only one to think that the actress Li Ying Ying looks a lot like Chia Ling in this movie ?

Here are two screen captures of her and when she smiled, I almost thought that I was looking at Chia Ling in Queen Boxer !

And I think that it's the first time that I see Li Kun in a serious role and even doing a few martial arts moves in a movie...I wish he had participated in the final fight, it would have been something to see...

vlcsnap-2019-07-08-18h32m40s410.png

vlcsnap-2019-07-08-18h37m43s606.png

Edited by ShawAngela

The Great Highwaymen

So I usually have to time and sub these projects, so I watch them frame by frame almost, and it kind of kills the fun. I usually have to wait a few months to forget and then come back to them. But this is one of those that Chen Hung Lieh (the fellow on this forum, not the real actor) did for us, so I got to watch it straight through. A few things-

1. As usual, the acting and dialogue is a little better then the Shaw's films of the time. A lot less alliteration, or Basil Exposition characters, so a little different flow. 

2.One of the only lead roles for Kam Shan, who moved over to Golden Harvest when Cathay sold out to Raymond Chow and he fits the role, which is basically Zorro, but with a beard instead of a mask. His Co Star was Tam Yi Lee, who only made 10 films and I know little about, though she does a great job with her fight scenes. I imagine she either moved on to something else or went on to TV. She was only 18 at the time, who knows? Back to college at some point?

3. Chu Mu is the villain, like 90% of these Cathay films, and he uses the Pincer fist, and some basic tiger claw is on display, which you really did not see much of shapes back then, so it is interesting to see here. Nothing like Heroes Two or anything, but not a basher, either.

4.What really hurt Cathay was they did not have the sets or the costumes for some of these movies. While it works fine for most of their films- Eagles Claw, Iron Bones, Mallow Forest, it really hurts when you have bat outfits that look like there were made for a poor 5th grader and some really rickety looking bridges for an otherwise rousing finale. 

Anyway, any entertaining rarity. Hopefully someone can get a widescreen, cleaner print.

vlcsnap-2019-07-08-22h00m07s119.png

Watched 2 movies out of the Mill Creek "Flying Fists of Kung Fu" collection.

Phantom Kung Fu aka Mantis in the Monkey's Shadow (1978)

Chang Yu plays a villain after a list of rebels. Don Wong Tao is a man who was killed by Yu but keeps reappearing repeatedly to fight him from time to time. It's a tired movie trope that's been done 100 times better in other films. The fight choreography is boring as all get out. The only shining moment is when Yu takes on Gam Ming & Wang Tai Lang, who use a combined Monkey Style against him in a skirmish. That's not even the end fight. Chock full of annoying characters, a lame plot, a story that meanders all over the place, and sub-par fight sequences, this certainly is no "classic" in any sense of the word. 5-10 minutes into this, I started just ff-ing to the fights. I encourage y'all to give this one a wide berth. (Maybe you can find that one good fight on Youtube.)

Mantis Under Falcon Claws (1983)

Gwak Mu Seong plays Wang, a silk trader whose goods are stolen by the gang of Falcon Ma, played by Hyeon Kil Su. Wang wants to learn kung fu so as to get his goods back. Ma has also kidnapped a local official's daughter for ransom, as well as Wang's girlfriend, and another fighter (who is apparently uncredited on the HKMDb page of the movie). Chia Kai plays Wang's master. The plot is meh, and there are the usual annoying characters, but the choreography in this fairly solid. There are a few training sequences, but they're nothing special. Some of the early fights are more slapstick. The end fight is really good, though the undercranking gets a tad quick in places. HKS as the villain is a fairly decent kicker who acts as a poor man's Hwang Jang Lee here, look and all. Word to the wise, though the fights pretty good, there is no Mantis Style whatsoever, nor is there any Eagle Claw Style (doubling as Falcon Claw style) on display. 

Crazy Shaolin Disciples

Another sad example of the Shaw Brothers studios not being able to grasp the changes in the marketplace, with a very tired, mid 70s approach, with a lot of  "look, he fell down, HAHAHAHAHA!" humor. Good fights,but further proof that Fu Sheng was the best Fang Sai Yuk by far. Chin Siu Ho and others do a decent job, and who ever was the stunt man for Lo Lieh looked bad ass, but of course, with tons of undercranking and dust flying. Only watched half of it. Probably finish the rest tonight or tomorrow. Meanwhile Jackie was in his prime, along with Sammo and Yuen Biao making Lucky Stars movies and Police Story.

3 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Crazy Shaolin Disciples

Good fights

Were they? I recall in beginning there was minute or so ok stuff and perhaps some in the very end but that`s all...not going to watch it 3rd time tho, easily worst of Shaws kung fu(comedy) movies...compared to this, fighting fool and coward bastards are cinematic masterpieces.

Edited by Tex Killer

8 hours ago, Tex Killer said:

Were they? I recall in beginning there was minute or so ok stuff and perhaps some in the very end but that`s all...not going to watch it 3rd time tho, easily worst of Shaws kung fu(comedy) movies...compared to this, fighting fool and coward bastards are cinematic masterpieces.

I was only halfway through. You're right. Lame movie. Have not finished it, may not. So many better movies 

8 minutes ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

I was only halfway through. You're right. Lame movie. Have not finished it, may not. So many better movies 

Yes, better use that time for something else. If bad movie has at least average ending it gives feeling watching it was not complete waste. But with crazy shaolin disciples there is not rewards in the end...

A movie can be atrocious,doesn't matter,i'll always finish it. If i can survive the double header of Thundering Ninja & Ninja In The Killing Fields on a Saturday afternoon then i'm game for anything.

15 hours ago, NoKUNGFUforYU said:

Crazy Shaolin Disciples

Another sad example of the Shaw Brothers studios not being able to grasp the changes in the marketplace, with a very tired, mid 70s approach, with a lot of  "look, he fell down, HAHAHAHAHA!" humor. Good fights,but further proof that Fu Sheng was the best Fang Sai Yuk by far. Chin Siu Ho and others do a decent job, and who ever was the stunt man for Lo Lieh looked bad ass, but of course, with tons of undercranking and dust flying. Only watched half of it. Probably finish the rest tonight or tomorrow. Meanwhile Jackie was in his prime, along with Sammo and Yuen Biao making Lucky Stars movies and Police Story.

I get the impression Shaws was fairly up-to-date as far as modern action, horror and romance was concerned. These rinky dink period Kung Fu films seem to have been made on the cheap as they had existing sets and contracted actors on the payroll and no-one seems to be bothered by them. It's just work. A downside of their studio system model.

I took a trip to the Old-School, for my latest long winded rambling's. Written exclusively for all the Kung Fu Fandom Forum contributor's/reader's.

Please click on the link below, for my complete write-up, thank-you.

MV5BZDQ5MTgwNzEtYjY5ZC00ODM3LWEyMmQtM2M5

Edited by DragonClaws

19 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Phantom Kung Fu aka Mantis in the Monkey's Shadow (1978)

This is the most negative review I've read of this movie, which has something of a following among fans.

19 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Mantis Under Falcon Claws (1983)

This is the closest thing to a positive review about this movie that I've ever read.

@ShaOW!linDude - I hereby declare you to be...THE ICONOCLAST!!! Here is your monocle, sir.

hand of death. Fairly standard storyline about Shaolin student taking revenge of traitor...Weaker as movie than Last Hurrah in same eureka! release, Hand is still damn good flick. Few times kicks land short from opponents, choreography is still very solid overall. Jackie has great bout against 2 enemies(my fav scene at flick) at end and lots of other neat stuff around..Samo with funny teeth has few good fights and Tan Tao of course has plenty of chances to do swift legwork.

Dialogue in subs is excellent although like in Last Hurrah would have preferred some names/titles remain same to old subs. Zorro may not been best name for character ever but neither is Prodigal Son. Shihs fighting style is now Crane Soul Chasing Fist, was it Goose Palm in old translation(been some years since last view)?GP sounds better..Tiger Claw is now Tiger Paw...

On the other hand Shihs henchmen were labelled just as bodyguards before, Tiger Generals in eureka! feels better...

Tan Tao Liang kicks roughly ~15 times with his right foot.

Edited by Tex Killer

I took a trip into the wild world of The Yuen Clan, in my all new Buddhist Fist themed ramblethon.

Please click on the link below, to look over my thought's on this one, thank you.

MV5BNmIxZDdlNTUtNGEzNi00ZjI5LWFjYzAtOGFm

Edited by DragonClaws