Sign in to follow this  
mark187

idea for a martial arts film festival

I've recently been kicking around an idea for trying to get some kind of martial arts film festival started. Considering how Kungfucinema.com founder Mark Pollard lives in Grand Haven, MI, I thought that would be one good location to have it. I live in Grand Rapids, and I believe we have one other member living in Kalamazoo. Just putting the idea out there to see what other members think, and for any ideas/suggestions, and to see if there would likely be support for such a project in the area? Thanks!

I live in Ann Arbor.

There seems to be a healthy kung fu fandom (based on one co-worker's account of kung fu movie nights w/ his fellow students) out in Detroit associated with the old school martial arts gyms out there. There are also folks putting on horror movie nights out in Detroit. It's a lot of work and organization, but maybe some of the theatres that host horror movie nights might be interested in collaborating.

That said, I don't know what the options are out in Grand Rapids compared to Detroit.

1)35 mm prints of Shaw Bros classic and dragon dance to kick it off!!!

2)Five deadly venoms costume contest or dance off????

3)Each attendee gets to vote what their favorite 10 Kung Fu movies are and the top ten's with the most votes get a screening..

4)A fireworks battle just like in the movie, Drunken Tai Chi (Live Owls is optional).