I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
Linn1

Future plans for the board...

Guest JustAFan
i'm against the move. www.kungfucinema.com actively advertises and promotes hkflix's bootlegs inc fareastpirate's boot label panmedia. i thought we were against them? i thought they were hurting the scene? you know the first thing mark is going to do is slap a hkflix banner on the forum adventising panmedia's shaw boots. is that what we want? linn speaks of the evils of panmedia and fareastpirate but now he's moving the forum to some place that makes a commission off the sale of those very same bootlegs!

bedhitter, it's fine that your against the move but when you say 'i thought WE were against them' 1question who is "WE".

There are some who who are against bootlegs and others (like myself) who could really care less and see the argument as hypocrisy.

But, as vengeance said Linn and Mark feel its a good move and thats good enough for me.

Guest gimpusmons

Bedhitter,

I appreciate your concern over KFC's association with a seller of PanMedia titles. However, your claim that I'll start slapping PanMedia banners on this forum is absurd.

The full extent of my promotion of PanMedia has been an old review of their release of PETTICAB DRIVER. I also posted some links and hosted a PanMedia banner once when their releases first started appearing several years ago. Those were mistakes in my view and I stopped doing so long ago, once I fully realized what kind of operation PanMedia was running. I haven't done so since and you won't find any other reviews of their DVDs or any other kind of promotion on my site.

Anyone who is familiar with my writing and past tenure on this board as admin should be able to confirm that I am not an active supporter of bootlegging, particularly when it involves the sale of films that are in print or whose copyrights are neither in dispute nor their holders inactive.

I have spoken out against PanMedia and Red Sun and have tried to encourage other independent U.S. distributors to deal in fully licensed films.

Now as to my affiliation with HKFlix, yes, it's possible that in promoting HKFlix I am indirectly profiting from the sale of PanMedia titles. It's kind of hard not to run a commercial DVD review site and not profit from bootleg sales when every DVD retailer in the business peddles them, if not from PanMedia, then from Red Sun, Artsmagic, Ground Zero, Video Asia and other past and present budget distributors. It's not a situation I like but ultimately it's a legal issue between the copyright holders, the distributor and the retailer. I can definitely understand if it bothers you but I'm not going to abandon my relationship with HKFlix or my effort to merge the forum with KFC unless your opinion represents the majority.

I know that HKFlix operates above board with their sales and honors every legal request to cease selling product that violates a specific copyright. So long as the companies that care to protect their assets are able to do so then that's good enough for me.

Guest gimpusmons
Mark,

I assume you wont have any issues with my site being linked to for reviews and such in posts I make.

gfanikf,

Nope. Carry on as usual.

could linn or mark address those concerns from bedhitter?

care if "bedhitter" had more than one post on this forum. This thread is directed at contributing members of this forum.

As for HKFlix, I realize Mark has a site to run and HKFlix is the most well known sites on the web selling Hong Kong films, both legal and illegal. At one point, this forum had a banner across it advertising them. My interest in this is to make sure the forum continues and has an anchor with which to attract new members. I want this forum to survive for the fans that have created it. If I have to suck it up and have a banner for HKFlix across the top, I'll do that.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns
As for HKFlix, I realize Mark has a site to run and HKFlix is the most well known sites on the web selling Hong Kong films, both legal and illigal. At one point, this forum had a banner across it advertising them. My interest in this is to make sure the forum continues and has an anchor with which to attract new members. I want this forum to survive for the fans that have created it. If I have to suck it up and have a banner for HKFlix across the top, I'll do that.

I'm behind Linn on anything as to assuring the survival of this forum as well. If anything negative or diminshing should arise with any given move, we can always move the forum to another destination. There's really no major concern here. If, in the end any given move turned negative and all resorts were exhausted, we could always go back to ezboard if it were an absolute last resort. It's just important to give very early notification of any moves so that members will have no problem remembering the new address. I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

are if "bedhitter" had more than one post on this forum. This thread is directed at contributing members of this forum.

Good point.

Though the set up of the new forum is of valid concern. I'm sure this issue will be handled responsibly.

Guest gimpusmons

I plan to schedule the move in mid September, after I have had time to prep the new location. I'll continue to post here and coordinate with Linn to make sure that everyone knows what is going on.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns
So if we move to Mark's website, will you keep up Kung Fu Fandom, but as a 'read only' board (i.e. posting messages will be disabled)? Is it possible to do that and not have to worry about EZBoard 86'ing the whole thing?

Are you smoking dope? ;)

Guest oldeschool17

Mark Pollard writes on a reply on PAGE 1:

I intend to leave the old ezBoard site up with a redirect link for a good four to six months to make sure that less active members know where to go. Of course, the old forums will be closed at that time.

Guest Agent Orange

Thanks linn and mark, you guys have really good ideas. it would give us a place to get all the latest news and give

us a chance to visit your site more. i dont ever visit your

site but it is the most thorough. do you still do reviews

and can you make a place to let the fans make reviews of films you neccesarrily wont or even have.

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer

So...

We can't use the board to trade copies of films released by HKL or Celestial with other fans in a non-commercial transaction, but the board's new home will be at a site which features a search engine for hkflix.com, who sell equally illegal bootlegs released by Red Sun and Panmedia at a huge profit.

And this isn't hypocritical because...?

Guest JustAFan
We can't use the board to trade copies of films released by HKL or Celestial with other fans in a non-commercial transaction, but the board's new home will be at a site which features a search engine for hkflix.com, who sell equally illegal bootlegs released by Red Sun and Panmedia at a huge profit.

Let it GO.

And this isn't hypocritical because...?

It is, but most don't care.

I don't know that it's true that "most don't care". And didn't you just criticise someone on the previous page for presuming to speak for everyone?

Believe me, I realise that this topic has been discussed to within an inch of its life. And while the status quo was maintained, I was quite happy to go along with the existing policy. However, significant changes are underway which will considerably change the relationship between this board and HKFlix, who make God-knows-how-much money out of selling illegal bootlegs.

Mark said:

"I know that HKFlix operates above board with their sales and honors every legal request to cease selling product that violates a specific copyright."

And that's fair enough. So how's about this, mods: I'll stop trading every copyrighted title the very minute the legal representatives of the copyright holders get in touch with me and tell me to stop.

Deal?

You've been a member for less than two weeks and just posted a one-word message.

Sure, I'm the troll here.

Guest Agent Orange

i wasnt talking about but if you feel guilty ok i accept. why you keep questioning the moderators

and sight owner decisions like they did something bad? run for congress, study law get to know

your rights in court and Really go after redsun and whoever else if it's so important and dear near

the heart for you.

www.hg.org/schools.html

Guest JustAFan

I didn't critique anyone, just saying they didn't speak for me.

As far as the issue of 'boots', it's been an issue talk'd about for years on this board and from those i'm saying most don't care. Most will never mean all.

I agree with you on the side of hypocrisy, but guess what???

I don't care who trades what and what they buy from whom. I've been a member of this board for a few years and it's because of my love for the genre that I will continue to be. This site is run great and thats what matters most.

Also, Mark's site is a great site, and once again, I could give less than a Sh** about what sites he affiliates with to help keep the site open.

To anyone who has a problem with the hkflix banners on his site, cut him a check to help keep these sites running and then maybe, maybe he'll take the banners down for you.

As far as trades and the like, let it go and don't lose sleep over it. It's not worth name calling or throwing a tantrum about.

I was referring to this:

bedhitter, it's fine that your against the move but when you say 'i thought WE were against them' 1question who is "WE".

And guess what else? I don't particularly care that you don't care. I have no idea who you are, and you certainly don't speak for everybody. So you don't give a s**t. That's great. I applaud your indifference. It's way awesome. I was mostly addressing the mods, hoping for some kind of explanation that would take the nasty stink of hypocrisy out of all this. Apparently that won't be forthcoming.

Trust me, I've been around long enough to see this issue argued to death. I'm probably as tired of it as you are, and if it weren't for this proposed move, I'd never have brought it up. I'm not throwing a tantrum and I haven't called anyone names so far, I'm just looking for some kind of reason to keep coming back here.

Guest JustAFan

I'm not arguing but read that quotation again, I never spoke for anyone other than myself until I said that most don't care about the 'boots' debate.

We both agree that it's hypocrisy and I hope that you don't leave this fantastic site because of something as silly as the pointless boots debate. I'm sure you didn't join this site, because of a stance on bootleg movies. I could be wrong, but i'm right.

The mods could give an explanation, but they don't owe one.

You've said you don't care that I don't care, which should mean you don't care what I have to say, follow that feeling and don't respond to what i've said.

Guest gimpusmons

Agent Orange,

I am going to try an implement a feature where forum posts will appear on the front page of KFC. If its possible, I may also link main KFC review pages to the forum in such a way that forum users can post and rate the movies in addition to the editor's review. Basically, I'm hoping to give forum users the option to interact with KFC and get their thoughts and views seen by a wider audience. That in turn will undoubtedly bring even more interest and discussion to the community and ultimately the genre.

Guest Agent Orange

I had one more idea, actually two but i forget one of them. Is it possible that you could implement a feature

where we could upload the occasional photos we post via the forum. This way if we wanted to look back

say 6 months or a post 3 months old we could still see the images whomever posted and not the red box

indication the image hosting expired.

Oh yes i remember the other thing. Just something you might want to think about. This is kind of a new

idea but i will throw it out there. A lot of times we talk about movies and occasionaly post links to trailers

and things of this nature - im not a member of many forums so i wouldnt know but how does the idea

sound to include the coding to post an embeded video from Youtube on it. For example you would see

the video with the ''press play'' arrow. This way it would make the forum more exciting in my opinion.

The videos and imagery are great visuals and really would keep everyone coming back.

Im glad you run a tight ship at Kung Fu Cinema you must be proud of that site. Im glad you invest so

much time to make it look so great. Unlike that complete, cheap miser, faggot WEBPIMP at shawscope

who doesnt give a @#%$ about anything and steals photo's as if they were his under his numerous bullshit

account names on that forum.

Guest Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee

I'm not really sure when it became en vogue to argue indifference as a virtue?

It's a very pertinent issue. Traders are not allowed to trade legitimate prints yet the forum is soon to be effectively sponsored by unscrupulous profiteering from these same prints. The anti-boot sentiments on the forum would no longer be tenable, and forum participation would be a moral endorsement the bootlegging.

There thus seems to be only two ways to go with this new alliance, either KFC discontinues it's alliance with HKFlix or the board allows the free trade of any films and regular contributors and moderators would have no credibility when arguing against boots.

I would be interested to know what any interested parties have to say about this.