I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
Linn1

Future plans for the board...

right now, I'm talking to someone about moving the board. This will allow us to have a better search engine, have more traffic now that dvd cult is closed, and be completely free. All the posts should transfer over to this new board. There is a CHANCE of things getting lost, but most likely they'd be no problem. Forum members would have to set up new accounts, but that's about it. What would you guys think about that?

Guest Yi Long

I'd be extremely pleased with that, as I've never liked EZ Boards (as I stated in the 2 threads about this).

So good job listening to the criticisms, and I hope the next board will be a nice improvement and everyone moves there :)

Time for Kung Fu Fandom to enter the 21st century, people! :smokin

Guest Chen Zhen

sounds good to me......i too was never a big fan of ezboard.....

is the new crib going to be a regular .com? i hate having to go thru google to find the site when im on a different computer...but thats no biggie.

Guest kungfusamurai

Hey, if it's free, then by all means!

I don't mind re-typing stuff all over again. 90% of the stuff I typed over the past few years is long gone anyway, either fell of the edge of the board or got purged when the board went down a couple of years ago.

Maybe I'll think of a better name? Nah!

KFS

Guest oldeschool17

chen, just go thru ezboard.com and thru your profile to get here. thats what i do

as for changing ships, yes!!!! check out invisionboard like I mentioned in that previous post or phpbb. theres plenty of alternative and more affordable options out there. If you need help in spreading the word out, im sure we can all help in any way we can.

Guest beardy82
I always go through kungfucinema.com/links/forums.html to get here.

wouldnt it be easier to just to add the page to your favorites? all i do is go to my favorites and click.

Guest chen lung

However, I haven't heard of a free forum. I wouldn't mind contributing a bit to it, or re-registering. Some other famous forums relocated to independant providers (DDUK and ADG).

Ezboard is dodgy:

1) Search doesn't work.

2) Dictionay doesn't work.

3) Hideous amount of money to keep it going.

4) Only 20 pages of posts are maintained.

5) Spam-filter is annoying.

6) You aren't notified of PMs/Live Chats.

7) The 2005 attack on Ezboard made us lose posts.

Will any of these be a problem? Most of them won't really be an issue, as they can't be helped, or they're just too niggling.

Guest morgoth

Yeah Beardy I am sure there are easier ways. But that is the best way I know of. I am pretty computer illiterate, and my computer skills only get worse the more I use computers. i can't figure it out:\

Guest Chinatown Kid

If moving means to a better place and format then I'm all for it, especially if we won't have to raise money every 6 months to be free of advertisments. Just keep us informed on what we need as far as setting up our account/username if we move Linn, thanks. ;)

Guest gimpusmons

Here’s the deal. With the approval of the majority of interested forum members, Kung Fu Cinema (kungfucinema.com) will become the new home of Kung Fu Fandom.

I recently pitched the idea to Linn after seeing that members still had to pay outrageous sums to keep the board free of ad spam. My second reason for hosting KFF is that Kung Fu Cinema has always needed a forum of its own and in consideration to my past admin duties on Kung Fu Fandom and given the quality community of dedicated fu fans here, it just seems natural to merge the two sites. Seeing as how Kung Fu DVD is no more, the timing seems even better for a merger, to insure that the board remains healthy and active with the support of a relevant and active genre site.

What this means for the community is that not a whole lot will change apart from the possible influx of new members. As Linn stated, current members will initially have to register a new account but once that’s done you should be back to normal. The board itself will have a new look to match KFC but that’s about it. Current posts will be transferred to the new board with a small chance that some threads may be lost. Down the road there is the possibility I will make adjustments to the forum structure to meet demand, but I don’t foresee making any controversial changes.

As for my role, I’ll remain the forum’s senior admin but I will not be moderating the forums. The current mods are welcome to continue in their position and we might add a volunteer mod or two as needed.

For anyone interested, I intend to use vBulletin which is widely used, commercial-grade message board software. I think it will end up being viewed as an upgrade, possessing a lot more features and a cleaner interface than ezBoard.

As for a timeline, I am thinking it will take a few weeks minimum to prep. I need to get things set up and whatnot. The actual move will probably go very quickly, but I want to make sure everything is set up properly so the transition goes smoothly.

I welcome additional feedback. You can post in this thread or e-mail me at mpollard@kungfucinema.com.

Guest gimpusmons

In reference to an e-mail inquiry I received I want to clarify that no changes will be made to the current forum rules once KFF is hosted by KFC. The prickly topic of bootlegging will rest with moderators and any legitimate copyright holders who seek to protect their assets, not with me. That means I will only step in if a distributor files a legitimate complaint regarding a particular post or thread.

Guest Tosh

Sounds like a great move to me, I'm in. I'll add I hope we can keep the same mods, and keep the site "as is".

Guest oldeschool17

hey that seems like a great idea Mark. Im all for it. Lemme know if theres anything I can do on my end to help

Guest teako170

My concerns regarding this....

First, I've always embraced the fact that KFF was autonomous; not married to a specific domain name.

Websites rise and fall. Domains come and go.

DVDCult came and went.

Shaolinchamber.com - perpetual hiatus...?

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of Mark's site. KFC has many great reviews and I've been a visitor there for some years. But to play devil's advocate, if that domain would someday disappear, what then of KFF? If its tied into a domain and that domain name ceases....?

I wasn't aware of all the problems w/ ezboard but everything has its pros and cons. The one good thing about ezboard (other than that crazy crash a few years back) is its always there. If a forum becomes difficult to load or to log on to, people will lose interest quickly and move on.

I know some of you here have visited falkor's forum on his domain. Its a great place with loads of quality discussion and photos. Lately though his forum has become difficult to access and I'm sure this has hurt his turnout.

I'm not saying KFF should stay @ ezboard. If Mark can make it work at KFC, then that's great and I'll support the move. I just hope this forum can retain its identity, remain self-governing and is on the web for many years to come.

Guest kungfusamurai

If Kung Fu Cinema were to die, then we'd just find a new home. No big deal.

I'm sure it would be cheaper than over $300 US to keep it ad free.

To be quite honest, I don't mind the ads. I just use programs like Ad Muncher to delete ads anyway.

KFS

Guest teako170
If Kung Fu Cinema were to die, then we'd just find a new home. No big deal.
True but how would anyone find it? If the domain ceases, there will be no place to post a link with .... "Hey guys we've moved. Please go here."

But I do agree, $300 is crazy to keep a place ad free.

Guest JustAFan

I don't like ezboard either, so a move would be okay I think.

And, is there a way to send all members an email to let them know where the new board is located?

Guest gimpusmons

This is to address the concern brought up by Teako170.

Kung Fu Cinema isn't going anywhere

Here's the situation. My life revolves around that site and the promotion of martial arts movies. It's my life's work, such as it is. If the site dies its only because I died and even should that happen within the next 40 years, I am making plans to insure that the site either continues without me (my dream) or at least the community is taken care of.

In the very unlikely event that I ever choose to close down KFC prematurely instead of passing it on to someone else, I will do the responsible thing and make sure that the forum community still has a home.

I take the responsibility of hosting this community very seriously because I consider it to be at least at important to the health and well being of martial arts movies, past and present, as the many review and news sites scattered around the web, including my own.

Identity

As to the issue of identity, I intend to keep the name Kung Fu Fandom and let the current moderators continue to oversee the community as they see fit. I hope to be more active in discussion on the boards but will let the community govern itself as it has for years.

The look of the forums will change some but the structure will remain intact. I may eventually add a few sub-forums if it seems appropriate. There will be a single ad banner at the top because KFC is a commercial site and presently my sole source of income. Other then that, it should be business as usual, minus the pressure to pony up money every six months.

Stability

I have had exceptionally reliable service from the same server host for close to six years now. However, I have never hosted a message board on this server. Once the move takes place I will continue to monitor the performance of the new board to make sure that there are no significant slow downs or errors. If there are problems, I'll upgrade my service plan to improve user performance.

Now to address JustAFan...

I will most definitely make sure that everyone knows where to go and when once the move begins. I'll send an e-mail to all current forum members. As I recall, ezBoard has a function for that. Prominent links will also be posted at this location. I intend to leave the old ezBoard site up with a redirect link for a good four to six months to make sure that less active members know where to go. Of course, the old forums will be closed at that time.

Guest Yi Long

Great post Mark, very reassuring and thanks for everything. As many here, I am a fan of your site and it's nice to hear that it will be around for a long long time :) I was pretty scared when there was a long period without any updates, a while ago ;) Glad you're back and motivated :)

Guest gimpusmons

I appreciate the support Yi Long.

A lot of folks were concerned about KFC during that time and rightly so. I regret the periods of inactivity and especially the unanswered e-mails or delayed responses. You know I never really anticipated the level of interest my little site would generate, either among fans or the industry. It has taken me a while to adjust to that level and maintain a healthy balance in my life.

I've been working on getting distractions out of the way and finding my focus. It's been a learning process filled with mistakes. I have a long ways to go to get to where I want the site to be and part of that involves working closer with the internet community.

One of my hopes is that in merging with KFF, we can build a stronger fan base that can have an even bigger impact on the dissemination, preservation and continued distribution of classic kung fu, chambara, wuxia, and all the martial arts-related movies we love to talk about.

Guest gfanikf

Mark,

I assume you wont have any issues with my site being linked to for reviews and such in posts I make.

Guest bedhitter

i'm against the move. www.kungfucinema.com actively advertises and promotes hkflix's bootlegs inc fareastpirate's boot label panmedia. i thought we were against them? i thought they were hurting the scene? you know the first thing mark is going to do is slap a hkflix banner on the forum adventising panmedia's shaw boots. is that what we want? linn speaks of the evils of panmedia and fareastpirate but now he's moving the forum to some place that makes a commission off the sale of those very same bootlegs!

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

If Linn and Mark deem this a good move, and feel secure with the future of it, I'm all for it as well.