I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Guest kenichiku

What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Bugis Street - the Director's cut which means frontal nudity.

A slice of life in the 60s amongst the transvestite society is finely crafted by YonFan into a memorable experience. Filmed in Singapore but banned there.

Guest kenichiku

Shaws:

The Mermaid (R3) ****/5 - remaster looked spectacular.

Fast Fingers (R3) **.5 - remaster didn't help it for me.

other:

Gilliam, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas ***.5/5 w/Depp, Del Toro, Barkin; hilarious, good acid dropping double with either 'Altered States', 'Naked Lunch' or a Cheech n' Chong flick.

Tsui Hark, Shanghai Blues (big platter LD) ***.5 - w/Sally Yeh, Slyvia Chang, Kenny B; 80s nostalgia, dusted off to comp. vs upcoming DVD release.

Omori Kazuki, 'Shooto' aka 'Hit the Goal' (R3 DVD) **.5 - High school Soccer drama w/members of Kinki Kids, SMAP, etc.

Suzuki, Gate of Flesh (Criterion DVD) **** - at his psychedelic post-War best. Jo Shishido

Hard Rain (DVD) ***.5 - w/Christian Slater, Minnie Driver, Morgan Freeman; retooled 'Titanic' tank sets in Mexico were 'Shaw' gorgeous; odd coincidence - watched nite before Katrina hit.

Weekly highlight on the road: overhear two local Arizona kids entering a Harkins Blockbuster (Scottsdale) to ask for 'Kung Fu Hustle'. Man, times have changed.

Guest jmungus

guards of shaolin aka ninja vs shaolin guards.

with lo rei, robert tai and eagle han.

had never heard of that one in all those years. a real surprise gem for me. top notch indie old school production with brilliant gung fu and predominantly exciting choreography all over the place.

7.6/10, a must have for any old school fan.

hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

ive read everywhere its a love or hate thing.

for me, HGTTG (in general) represents the 80s vibe to the fullest and thus i was quite happy to feel that very vibe watching this movie.

got me thinking back of the good old "BTTF1-3/explorers/batteries not included/cocoon/e.t."..... days. 6.8/10

appleseed 2004

i used to be a fan of the original in the late 80s.

despite a few tries, i never made it an anime fan tho, but was definitely looking forward to the appleseed rehash in 2004.

what can i say, this time around was my 2nd rewatch, and i did quite enjoy it- once again.

imo, it works wonderfully as a straight action flick.

the visuals are plain fantastic for the most part and a good sound system does help a lot to find this one mind boggling ;) 8/10

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Bug Me Not - Isabella Leong & Wilson Chen are quite a cute pair in this so-so movie. Only if you have nothing better to do.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Primal Fear - Richard Gere is really believable as a lawyer defending an altarboy accused of murdering an archbishop due to sexual abuse. Over two hours long but solid entertainment. The twist at the end is brilliant!

Guest KLSADAKO

Where's Officer Tuba- modern day film with Sammo Hung, Jacky Cheung and David Chiang. I enjoyed this film, it had some really funny moments! It was cool seeing Sammo fighting Hwang Jang Lee while Jacky Cheung fought Chang Yi in the film's finale! I only wish the Sammo fight with Hwang was longer!

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Sunset Boulevard - the classic with Gloria Swanson and William Holden in the leads. They don't make them like this anymore!

Guest tino

Enchanting Shadow- I like this movie. It was kinda spooky and entertaining. Interesting to see a Shaw movie made in 1959.

Next up is Himalayan and Superpower:eek

Guest Ivy Ling Po

The Wedding Date - Debra Nessing & Dermot Mulroney shine in this romantic comedy. He's a gigolo she hired to save face when she faces her ex at her sister's wedding.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

LAst weekend watched:

Infernal Affairs (8.5/10) good crime drama

City on Fire (7.5/10) felt it was a little overrated, but good.

On deck:

Throwdown

Samurai 1

Proud Youth

Guest lacali

Just watched 36 Crazy Fists with Jackie Chan. It's an OK classic kungfu movie starring Jackie Chan, Liu Chia Yung, Ku Feng, Fong Ho An.

Guest kenichiku

Five Venoms **** (Steeplechase R1) – Wow, you guys were right about the dubbed nostalgia!

Blood Money **.5 (Brit R2) – Lo Lieh, Lee Van Cleef, Karen Yip; & those saucy bottom inspections

non-Shaws:

Derek Erh, One Night in Mongkok ****.5 (Theatrical) – HK film has matured after ‘Infernal Affairs’; Derek’s come far since his debut in ‘Death Duel’; Alex Fong, Lam Suet, Chin Kar Lok & Daniel Wu excel.

Itchy Heart **** (Tai Seng R0) - Lau Ching Wan has the 7 year itch; Carina Lau, both still got it w/the gorgeous young betties.

Michael Ritchie, Prime Cut (Paramount R1) **** - Lee Marvin, Gene Hackman, Sissy Spacek; not too convincing slant on the seamy side of the American heartland but well rendered.

Winterbottom, Go Now ***.5 (King R2) Robert Carlyle w/2 of modern UK’s best screen femmes IMO: Juliet Aubrey & Sophie Okonedo; very mature and non-trite approach to tragic dramas with a debilitating disease as a subject.

Straw Dogs (Anchor Bay R1) **** - Peckingpah. w/Dustin Hoffman, Peter Vaughn, a 70s best: Susan George

Grigori Chukrai, Ballad of a Soldier *** (Criterion R1) – where else but an old Soviet film do you show a commanding officer who allows a heroic young private to leave the battle front so that he can go home to fix his mother’s barn roof?

Wet Rope **.5 (Norwegian R0) – Nikkatsu softcore blasphemy, nunsploitation in my anticipation for ‘Convent of the Holy Beast’

Koji Yamada, Tora San & His Tender Love #8 *** (Panorama R3) – a buffoonish Tora loses another girl but his family still loves him.

Guest ShaofuSage

Shaolin Temple - I think this may have become one of my top 3 Temple films of all time. Great huge cast!

Deadly Secret - liked this one too, the most ironic title for a movie I've ever seen.

Guest Centorpedo

School of the Holy Beast - well shot, fun movie with lots of gonzo zaniness, but not a keeper IMO.

Harakiri - Only a third of the way in and I'm savoring every second. Simply amazing. Nakadai's eyes are like no other actor's before or since. Ever since The Face of Another he's become one of my favorite actors. Now I have a reason to go back and re-watch all of his Kurosawa output again.

Point Blank - Lee Marvin is the man. This and The Professionals... I could watch them over and over.

Guest jmungus

7 Steps of Kung Fu

great show. should appeal to any old school fan, monkey kf/knockabout/drunk mantis/young master appreciators in particular.

whispering corridors 4: voice

aaarghh, i hate it when a movie would end leaving me unsure whether i fully understood it or not.

korean arthouse horror drama with a meditative flow, no scares, intellectual approach, elegant technical execution.

cant say if i liked it better than its predecessors.... well, it was okay.

shaolin drunk monkey

another title from my collection going waaay back, poppin up again rather by coincident than by straight choice.

eagle han ying does the choreo and plays the main villain.

lotsa fights, decent quality, could have tried a little more to lift itself above the neverending sky that is standard chop socky. good fun, nothing special.

Guest justkungfuman

Kung Fu Hustle- I thought it was a fun movie, great special effects...

Ode to Gallantry

The Proud Twins

Heroes of the East

Invincible Shaolin

Guest Thekfc

Bullet In the Head-uncut version

Heroes Shed No Tears-Eddy Ko

A Better Tomorrow 1 & 2

Last Hurrah for Chivalry-Liu Sung Yen & Wei Pai

I was showing some company some John Woo flicks, the only John Woo flicks they have seen before were his "American" movies, The Killer & Hard Boiled.

12 Deadly coins-did not live up to the hype.

I've seen a handful of websites and distributors give this movie a very good rating.

IMO-it was average 60's fanfare.But still...if you like 60's swordplay it's worth a one time view at best,it just will not make you a fan of this time period,if you already are not.