Guest kenichiku

What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Gossip Street. Now I know why Shaw Studios closed down in 1985. This was trash with no redeemable features apart from a

young and fresh Danny Li.

Guest iron flag

Return of OAS..Forgot how bloody it was!

2 Assassins of the Darkness..(German Version)Very good print,wasnt that impressed with the movie though.

Snuff Bottle Connection..One of my favorites

The Himalayan..Pretty good but not what I expected after

reading rave reviews here at KFF.

Guest Isfahani
someone brought up that many japanese directors are sick in the head...

all a matter of pespective tho...think about it:

if these guys didn't push the envelope, who would? certainly not american or hk filmmakers. I should state that I consider miike totally overrated, but I'll give him props for something.

So what HAVE i been watching? Some wonderful K-stuff like Emperor of the Sea, some of the more obscure LW & C offshoots, Zatoichi TV shows, Musashi TV shows...lots of early SB films...

Guest Ivy Ling Po

The Crazy Bumpkins - delightfully funny.

Ai Ti is especially good. No wonder she won an award for her debut.

Guest kenichiku

Since last week:

Lady General Hua Mu Lan DVD – ‘G’ rated Huang Mei classic. Had an uncanny Disney feel to it pre-Disney. Shaw wuxia gets an early preview.

Heroes of Sung DVD – in a Shih Szu rerun mood, pulpy wuxia very routine by now.

King Drummer – Inoue Umetsugu’s Chinese remake of Ling Yun as a drumming prodigy in a Cornell sweatshirt; Inoue knows how to tap ever svelte Lily Ho best sides with a see-thru Angie Yu Chien nightclub dance, Chen Hung Lieh, Chang Pei Shan & Wei Ping Ao lendig support in tobacco mode.

Swordswomen Three – 3 cuties Shen Yi, Essie Lin Chia & Pan Yin Tzu get taken advantage by Badass Lo Lieh. Lo vs Chang Yi nite duel in bamboo grove.

Starry Is the Night – Shaw new wave with Brigitte Lin (Man, she's gorgeous) & George Lam gratuitous spouting Shakespeare.

Pursuit of a Killer – Early 80s exploitation. Lo Meng finally gets busy with women AND he chews up a live gecko snack in prison, classic!

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Let's Have A Baby - Alex Man, Tanny, Patricia Ha.

Tanny is too young to play Patricia's mother. Alex Man overacts. Mediocre slapstick comedy.

Guest TheManInWhite

After watching Queen Boxer about a month ago, I've finally got around to seeing Boxer from Shantung. I did enjoy both movies. This was definitely Chang Cheh's finest hour. The story had a great deal of depth to it. For instance, when the owner of the hotel where Ma Yung Chen was staying told him he no longer had to share a bed on the lower level and that he can sleep on the upper level. It was at that point that Ma started his climb in status which was very poignant. I also liked Ma's selflessness in being more concerned about his friend's well being, even above his own. A classic film indeed.

Queen Boxer was a solid effort although not on equal par with BFS. The acting lacked a bit there but there was just about as much action and the endfight was absolutely killer.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

The Lady Assassin.

Undercranking spoilt this promising movie for me. Liu Hsueh Hua shines in her signature movie and it is great to see Norman Tsui in a prominent Shaw role. However both are let down by undercranking resulting in comical fights.

Guest lady whirlwind

I agree totally Ivy Ling Po. We watched this last night and the undercranking/speeding up just ruined the film. It was like something out of the 70's comedy The Goodies! Almost as bad as the speeding up of Secret Service Of The Imperial Court. Tonight we washed the bad taste away with the enjoyable King Cat. Miaow, that was more like it.

Guest sammofan

Celestial screwing up the music ruined the film more for me than the undercranking! I enjoyed the film but it would have been so much better without that tuneless dirge playing on top of the original soundtrack.

Guest Kwok Choi

Which movie do you prefer;Shaw's The Lady Assassin or the independent movie The Rebellious Reign?

Guest lady whirlwind

Just watched Monkey Kung Fu last night, and it's an action classic! The choreography is superb, and the execution of the complex moves is stunning. For the fights alone it's one of the very best Celestial releases to date. A minor niggle is that Ching Siu Tung isn't the most interesting of actors (a polite way of saying he's a bit poor), and his character is pretty selfish and unlikeable anyway. The part needed a warmer personality to smooth the rough edges out, and make you like the hero. But he comes over a little better here than in the old English dub, so can't complain. Plus the original trailer is on there too. A must buy.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Return Of The Sentimental Swordsman - good to see Fu Sheng in a completely serious role but his costume is laughable.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Very early swordplay with non-fighters like Pat Ting Hung,Ching Li and Chiao Chuang executing basic rudimentary swordplay moves and being obviously doubled for the slightly more difficult moves. Carrie Ku Mei is is again the princess in distress (think Killers 5). No wonder her career was in distress.

One saving grace is Chang Yi. He exudes charisma and the X factor even in these early roles.

Guest godzillakungfu

I just moved so no internet or cable. Stealing time on the libraries computer.

I've rewatched:

Mystery of Chessboxing

Shaolin vs. Lama

The Loot

Shaolin the Blood Mission

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Sword of Swords, and really enjoyed it! Have had it for a while and just got around to watching it. Wang Yu delivers and excellent dramatic performance and the fight choreography was very well done by LKL and Tang Chia. Fans of the OAS trilogy and Wang Yu's early swordsman flix seek this out if you have not already.

Also watched Two Toothless Tigers and Born To fight. TTT is worth seeing for the last 30min alone, great stuff by Sammo. And liked BTF more han I expected to. The stunts are freaking insane, and the MA action is a little limited but still nicely done.

Guest kenichiku

Clan of the White Lotus

King Cat

Heroes of the East (again)

Killer Darts (rerun)

Need to catch up on Shaws! Non Shaw:

Collateral

Seance

The Punisher

I still need to see 'Sword of Swords' remastered! Seems to be plenty of witnesses in favor of it here!

Guest Firecrane

I'm going to theater in a little while to watch Land of the Dead.

The following Shaws I'll watch this weekend are:

Dirty Ho

Brave Archer and His Mate(my old boot to the trash can)

Fake Ghost Catcher

Treasure Hunters(My Master of Disaster copy to the trash can)

Non Shaw DVD's:

The Sword

Hitch

Guest Ivy Ling Po

The Hours - Nicole Kidman, Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore.

Excellent- highly recommended.

An Eternal Combat - Joey Wong, Anthony Wong

Mediocre and disappointing. Thought director Wu Ma was better than this.

Guest Yakuza954

Wow, I just saw Bells of Death! Incredible. I'm amazed at the high quality of all these late 60's swordplay movies. This was right on par with Chang Cheh's One Armed Swordsman.

As for other stuff I've seen recently:

Tiger Cage

Odd Couple

Survive Style 5+

Untold Story

the longest nite

Guest sammofan

Lady Assassin

Hong Kong Playboys

Swordsman

Swordsman 2

Princess Mononoke

Ninja Scroll

Firefly disk 1

Guest kenichiku

Theatrical:

Howl's Moving Castle

Cinderella Man

Celestial:

Big Bad Sis

Deadly Breaking Sword

Monkey Kung Fu (1st time)

A very satisfying Shaw trifecta. One of the best yet!