I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Guest kenichiku

What ELSE (other than KUNG FU) has everyone been watching?

Guest kenichiku

...besides barren threads? Okay, where were we? It's been an ecletic Shaw week for me anyway. Just logged in:

Avenging Eagle - 3 spins now! The Kid gets Ku Lung poetic in his exchange with Ti Lung near the end there, who was he quoting again?

Friends - The Kid when he was a kid; DC in some outrageous 70s rags. Good Kung Fu lite (like Gen Gap & Young Rebel).

Lost Souls - this bulldog of a flick is better the 2nd time!

The Lark - those old tunes echo in my head for days!

Tiger Killer - Man, Li Han Hsiang doesn't get any better than this.

Death Valley - 2nd spin; Angie Yu Chien, Chen Hung Lieh & Lo Wei score the old-school way!

from last month in HK on the big screen:

Kingdom of Heaven - 3/5

'Unleashed' (seen as Danny the Dog) - 3/5

Divergence - 2.75/5

and theatrically at home...

The Interpreter - 2.5/5

The Upside of Anger - 3.5/5

Revenge of the Sith - 4/5

Man, that old thread had some serious momentum going...Okay folks, let's keep it going, cough it up! :)

Guest cassie81

I just finished Friends seconds ago.

I've been playing Golden Swallow and Bells of death like crazy

The heroic ones been getting played alot

Followed by: The Assassin, The Chinese Boxer, and The Shadow Boxer.

Guest Delightful Forest

Watched this last night. Superb movie. Li Li Hua is the Goddess! Great actress and really beautiful at then 42. Five production years got translated into 97 minutes on DVD. Does seem a little short. Does anybody know if it has been cut? I think it was you, keni, who said some weeks ago that there is a version of this movie for Koreans where Li Li Hua's role is played by a Korean actress. Spot on! But does anyone know whether Celestial will be releasing the Korean version sometime?

For the past week or so....

Shaws:

Boxer from Shantung again--dang, a long day at work, and I started it late---fell asleep before the finale and woke up at midnight to the menu theme music :) .

Bells of Death---4th spin. Great movie overall, and the fight scenes are way ahead of its time.

Boxer Rebellion----first time I'd seen this since the TV version in the early 80's. I didn't remember hardly any of it, but really liked this extended cut. A bit of CC silliness at times, but I liked the tragic plight of the heroes who wanted to fight for China, but knew that their government was corrupt and the Boxers were a sham.

Theatrical:

Revenge of the Sith---I'm not a prequel hater anyways, but I did think this was by far the best of the three. Generally enjoyable and more emotional than the last two,although I don't need CGI in the lightsaber battles---Obi-wan and Qui-gon vs. Maul was PERFECT.

DVD:

City of the Dead--great Chris Lee horror from early 60's.

3:10 to Yuma---great late 50's western

I LOVE those great, restored, anamorphic widescreen B&W pics!

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Dreams Of Eroticism. A group of top Shaw directors banded together and managed to get Shirley Yu, Terry Liu, Yang Pan Pan and other Shaw starlets to bare all for the cameras in episodic flick. I am talking frontal nudity.

Guest justkungfuman

Secret Service of The Imperial Court

The Master

Triple Irons

Avenging Eagle

Bat Without Wings

non-Kung Fu

BoogeyMan

Son Of The Mask

Guest teako170

Theatrical:

Star Wars/Revenge of the Sith: Lucas has redeemed himself in this final installment. I was extremely pleased with this film.

DVDs:

Best of Abbott & Costello: Picked up all three volumes last week @ Amazon. Each volume contains eight films. Grew up with these guys and I still think they're hilarious.

Art of Buster Keaton: 11 discs featuring roughly 30 films/shorts. I only recently got into Keaton's films and I must say... he was an incredible talent who was overshadowed by the careers of Chaplin and Lloyd. Keaton is a comic genius and his humor is timeless.

Shaw DVDs:

Ack - nothing! (Good grief). Waiting patiently for June 23rd though: Dirty Ho, BA4 and The Treasure Hunters.

Guest kenichiku

Hey Teak since you brought up Abbot & Costello, my reply is not Shaw related but do you know if there's a Republic box set out for the great Bowery Boys aka the Dead End aka the Eastside Kids out on DVDs? If there are, I couldn't find it here on the West Coast. Grew up watching old Leo Gorcey & Huntz Hall myself in addition to A&C, Ma & Pa Kettle, etc. and of course these films are really old now! Anybody hailing from Brooklyn know?

Guest Delightful Forest

Just watched Gossip Street. A 70s Canto farce ... brought on a few laughts but I will not be spinning this one again in a long while.

Guest kenichiku

Wow! Well that takes care of Leo as 'Muggsy' but I'm still hunting down the later Leo Gorcey Bowery Boys films as 'Slip' Mahoney. Thanks Teak, that's a great staart and it breaks down to around 2 bucks per movie!

Guest ironfistedmonk2003

Just watched Football Factory again, great British film, also saw Saw! thought it was quite decent.

Guest Iron Boat

Just watched Invincible One (Disciples of Death (Shaolin)) last night...Celestial really needs to release this one....so much better than Chinatown Kid. Great acting my Chi Kuan Chun and Fu Sheng...

Guest Firecrane

SB:

The Fugitive - Felt more like a western

The Condemed

Japanese:

The Seven Samurai - Excellent, a must watch

Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword Of Vengance

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby at River Styx

Non Martial Arts:

The Motorcycle Diaries

Theater:

Revenge of the Sith

Guest kungfudvdcity

I have been on a Japanese and Hong Kong action kick. City on fire, Young and Dangerous and Fulltime Killer on the Chinese side and Audition, Versus, Dead or Alive and Ichi the Killer for Japanese.

No offense to anyone Japanese, but you guys have some very sick directors coming out of your country. I personally can handle almost anything but I turned off Ichi the Killer.

I did think Audition was a good movie, very slow but good. And Dead or Alive has to be one of the most overated films I have ever seen. From the reviews I read before I watched it you would think Takishi Miike is the 2nd coming of John Woo on crack. IMO he is a B movie director that uses cheap camera tricks and fake looking over the top shocking images to make his movies intersting.

If anyone of you are fans of his I respect that. I am not trying to be a hater. I just think he is very overated and I dont personally care for his work although Audition was a good movie.

I dont mind violence, however when the story or director is so weak that he has to use it as a cruch is when I become offended as a viewer.

Guest Mantis FIST

Just watched Monkey Kung Fu and Kung Fu Hellcats. Both were great! It was cool to see the Judo Master from Heroes of the East in Kung Fu Hellcats! What else is there to say about Monkey Kung Fu that has not already been said? One of the best Kung Fu movies I have seen in a while, and have still to watch the last 20 minutes! Well I kinda did but was also half asleep! :rolleyes Going to give it a rewatch here in a few.

Edit: I watched the end. Great movie.

Guest kenichiku

Of thenon-Shaw, mostly Japan as well:

Junichi Mori's 'Laundry' - sweet & spare

Morita's 'Mouhohan' aka 'Copycat Killer' - intelligent serial killer flick

Shun Nakahara's 'Lie lie Lie' - intelligent & appealing con flick

Of SB, reruns mostly:

Shaolin Handlock - just a super FUN repeat offender,

Mr Funnybone Strikes Again - better than first time,

When The Clouds Roll By - young Ching Li is 'dimpulicious'

Les Belles - took some patience but...quaint and

5 Shaolin Masters - I'm talking high mileage now so to add: Man, as spare as the art direction is here, Chang scores with one of the most concise, economical & smooth visual storytelling he's ever done, starting something like this: burnin' down the house, handful of disciples jet, intro. to Manchu crew including 1 traitor with an 'in' (plus a goofy pair of tonfa twins that I swear Sun Chung would later wink back at his mentor with his very own deranged pair of one-armed Eagle twins) giving chase; majors (FangSY & HungHK) head south & our crew of minors (5SM) regroup to fight, organize, head north & sport cool new secret hand signals & other underground proto-triad culture...and all of this is told in the first 20 minutes! Don't have to review this one any further, you know the rest. You could fumble with the '3-1-9' like the Kid did but you can't call yourself a KF fan if you don't own '5 Shaolin Masters'! :smokin

Guest TanTao2

Shaw: Dead End, "daring" youth movie for its time...

Indie: Martial Hero Of Southern Frontier (Yue Feng directed basher)

Theater: Kung Fu Hustle

Guest GerardH

Shaw:

Clan of the White Lotus- I 've watched this at least 4 times in the last 3 weeks.

Heaven Sword & Dragon Sabre 2

Non-Shaw:

Revenge of the Sith- great finish to the Star Wars series.

Crash- very interesting film. It's not what you expect from the title. It makes you realize how small the world really is.

Getting ready to check out Mr. & Mrs. Smith this weekend.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Night Corridor

Kara Hui wins a best supporting actress nomination playing Daniel Wu's alcoholic mother.

Cursed - Wes Craven's latest tale about werewolves.

Constantine - Keanu Reeves is great but I hate the girl who's supposed to be Angel Gabriel.

Guest Firecrane

I'm heading home with Lady Assassin, Monkey Kung Fu , Return of the Sentimental Swordsman and King Cat on hand to watch. Friday summer hours are cool.

I hate the girl who's supposed to be Angel Gabriel.

Hey Ivy, you weren't the only one, what a horrible actress.

Is it possible to get this thread stickied since the old one was really popular.

Guest kngfu

THE CLONES OF BRUCE LEE

gotta love the fight between Dragon Lee and Bruce Le

KUNG FU HUSTLE

Chiu Chi Ling, Yuen Wah, Fung Hak On, and Bruce Liang =old school heroes. Did anyone else notice the Landlady recreating the WAY OF THE DRAGON threat to John Benn in the limo

Guest Chen Zhen

theatrical - last flix i saw in theater were unleashed and star wars. loved unleashed, i thought revenge of the sith was aight...mind you, im not a very big starwars fan.

kungfu - finally saw return to 36th chamber....excellent sequel IMO, altho i do need to find a quality dvd of it...i picked up a budget one which is barely playable...dvd looks like it was sourced from a 4th or 5th generation tape...just barely watchable.

nonkf - watched from dusk till dawn for the first time...pretty good altho i thought it turned into a bmovie once the vampires came into play..i was more interested with the robbery and the hostages and what not.

someone brought up that many japanese directors are sick in the head.....nah thats just takashi miike. if u thought ichi the killer was nasty, i dare you to watch visitor q....i bet u wont be able to sit thru the whole thing....its a good film from a directorial standpoint i guess...but the themes in the movie were too much...even for me...and i always thought i was de-sensitized to that kind of stuff. personally i loved audition and i did like ichi the killer altho the cgi was aweful in it, and after watching it 5 or so times since buying it last year, i still cant figure out the ending. u cant blame takashi miike for the way ichi came out...it is based on a hideo yamamoto (i think thats his name) manga/comic of the same name.

Guest Delightful Forest

Enter The Dragon

The Crimsom Charm

Enjoyed both tremendously. Bruce is Bruce. What can I say! Ivy's performance is absolutely delightful.