AlbertV

What Books Are You Currently Reading or Read?

Just finished the third Kenzie and Gennaro novel, Sacred, and cracked open (as much as a Kindle can be cracked open) Clive Barker's 700 page beast, Weaveworld.

Hmm...

1- "Without Remorse" (1993) Currently reading this after my bro-in-law recommended it. Pretty good so far. The only problem I'm having with it is some of the terms for things that I don't understand. Like names for weapons and equipment. But I just looks those up and I'm good. lol

The Outlaw of Torn (1914) by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Set in the 1200's in England, Prince Richard is abducted at the age of 3 by De Vac, a French swordsman who was humiliated by the king. Richard is raised by the Frenchman as Norman of Torn, an outlaw who in Robin Hood-ish fashion preys upon the  nobility and elite of England, having been indoctrinated with hatred for all things English. A local priest does hold influence over the lad as he grows up, imbuing him with a sense of honor and chivalry. And of course, then there's Bertrade de Montfort, the girl of a prominent family who wins his heart. Norman builds his infamous reputation, developing his own army of former cutthroats and brigands, and performs acts that so offend the king, he unknowingly seeks to have his own son executed. 

Always loved this book, and I believe it's the only one ERB ever wrote with an entirely Medieval setting. It's a fun read. Of course, as usually is the case, there is no match for Norman when it comes to fighting, and there's plenty of swordplay here. Also, almost every girl who happens to meet the outlaw of Torn is actually intrigued by him and attracted to him. One such results in a surprising instance of suicide which I had completely forgotten about. ERB doesn't give a lot of detail to the action, except for the finishing strokes of death, and the story concludes with Norman/Richard dueling De Vac and then learning the truth of his identity. And he gets the girl.

ERB tells the story with a bit of Shakespearean flavor, but it is no way cumbersome to decipher. It's just a good, fun book. 

Dan Brown - Origin. So-so compared to earliest Robert Langdon books, Too much science(fiction), computers and

Spoiler

artificial intelligence being mastermind was not only stupid concept, it was easy to guess well before the end as nobody else could have leaked exact info at that speed.

On the positive side, it was still better than Inferno.

Hmm...

1- "Dark Nights: Metal- The Resistance" (Graphic Novel- July 3, 2018) Finally got this from Amazon yesterday! Pretty good so far. 

2- "Dark Souls: The Age of Fire(Graphic Novel-June 11, 2019) Really happy to finally get this! The last Dark Souls comic I got (Dark Souls: Legends of the Flame) was incredible, so I cannot wait to read this one. 

3- "Avengers vs. X-Men Companion" (Graphic Novel- May 21, 2013) A beast of a book at a little over 1100 pages! Pretty good, though it kind of turned me again the X-Men, because of how crazy they act. 

After trying ever so hard to get through Clive Barker's dismal Weaveworld, I've done the unthinkable: given up. It's a paper thin, characterless novel that feels as though Baker is making it up as he's going along. Terrible book.

So, with disappointment in my heart, I aim to lift myself up by starting Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes on the bus home tonight.

Running Blind (2000) by Lee Child

I've only read a couple of the Jack Reacher novels, and it's been a while since that, but I always enjoyed them. This one was so-so. An attempt to frame Reacher for the murder of former female soldiers, who had been sexually assaulted while in service, ends up with him essentially being extorted by the FBI and forced to work the case under their scrutiny. The pacing is really slow, and while the book starts off with a fair little piece of action, that's about all you get in this one. The writing and plot kept me engaged, but it seems to go in a lot of circles and drags things out. There's a nice little twist at the end as the real killer is discovered. Don't think I'll be reading this one again, but I did nab 3 more at the used bookstore the other day. Already started another one.