AlbertV

What Books Are You Currently Reading or Read?

The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy - Let me start off by saying I always read non-fiction. I don't do "factual" books. And so I was trepidatious going into this one. But I was told by numerous people that Ellroy is the top dog when it comes to crime fiction. Well...he's not. While I am dedicated to finishing this novel, it's a slog to get through. Yes, he captures the 40's very well but that's his entire shtick. The characters are mundane and, for the most part, identical, the story plods along with very little actually happening and he regurgitates facts about the murder that we've all read a thousand times.
If he wasn't such a solid world builder, I'd have put this down and given up a long time ago. It just isn't my cup of tea at all.

@ShaOW!linDude Do you have any samples or excerpts from your novels online? I was researching your writing (you might want to get a restraining order) yesterday and wondered whether you've shared any sections of your novels on here or elsewhere.

3 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

@ShaOW!linDude Do you have any samples or excerpts from your novels online? I was researching your writing (you might want to get a restraining order) yesterday and wondered whether you've shared any sections of your novels on here or elsewhere.

No excepts available online. Tell you what I'll do. I'll post some in the threads I have for my books in the Wanted section when I get home, and I'll tag you in them. Sound like a plan?

3 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

No excepts available online. Tell you what I'll do. I'll post some in the threads I have for my books in the Wanted section when I get home, and I'll tag you in them. Sound like a plan?

Absolutely! Thanks for taking the time out to do that.

Hmm...

1- "Dark Nights: Metal" ("Graphic Novel Version June 12 2018". Original run: June 2017 to March 2018) Kind of bonkers in some parts. Kind of awesome in others. I enjoyed it  enough to be planning on getting some of the tie-ins. And i do recommend it if you just want something fun to read.

On 2/5/2019 at 4:41 AM, AlbertV said:

I'm reading quite a few right now:

8125DI58M+L.jpg

Haikyu! by Haruichi Furudate

Haikyu!! is such a fun read, I have the series (bought most of it last year, in a bulk buy from a great Japanese bookstore here in Sydney).

Recently read :

Emma Jane Holloway : A study in darkness and A study in ashes (French title : Une étude en soie, l'affaire Baskerville, tomes 1 & 2). Nice book telling the story of Sherlock Holmes' niece, with a mix of magic, suspense, fantasy and science fiction. I enjoyed it very much.

David Gibbins : Inquisition. Superb. I have all his books, but I began with this one last week and I'm currently reading Testament.

René Manzor : Apocryphe. Superb. I read it in two days !

Naomi Novik : Temeraire series. I still have to read the last two books. Mix of history and fantasy.

All Poe's poetry and Novels - Still astonishing, one of my favorite author, the Raven is a masterpiece.

Jo Nesbo's snowman - Terrible, poorly written and full of clichés.

Alexandre Dumas's Count of Monte-Cristo - Splendid and epic novel. Time they are a changin' but they can't touch such immortal novels.

1 minute ago, Secret Executioner said:

Wasn't that adapted into a movie some time (couple of years ?) ago ?

Yep.

The movie was even worse than the book, which is quite an achievement. Even Michael Fassbender sucks in that one.

A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane - Lehane is up there as one of my favourite writers. Here he crafts a fantastic noir-ish tale of corruption and gang warfare all against a backdrop of a racially charged Boston.
love this novel. I love the characters, the tension, the humour etc. A wonderful start to a series and I have every intention of continuing. This is EXACTLY what I look for in a novelist.

Storm Front by Jim Butcher - I decided to give this series a whirl. I'm only a fraction into the first novel and I'm just not entirely sure about it. It's an interesting spin on noir but there are too many instances of awkward humour. It doesn't quite mesh with the book's dark version of a fantastical Chicago. The tone is off. I'll continue to read it as it should be a pretty quick read but, right now, I'm not motivated to read the rest of the series (15 books!). Maybe it'll pick up.

On 6/4/2019 at 7:55 AM, Drunken Monk said:

A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane - Lehane is up there as one of my favourite writers. Here he crafts a fantastic noir-ish tale of corruption and gang warfare all against a backdrop of a racially charged Boston.
love this novel. I love the characters, the tension, the humour etc. A wonderful start to a series and I have every intention of continuing. This is EXACTLY what I look for in a novelist.

Me, too! I especially love his books with the characters Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro. After doing 5 books with them, he swore them off, saying something like they had pretty much run their course. But then he published Moonlight Mile a few years back. It picks up on the plot of Gone Baby Gone (which was made into a movie). I finally got my hands on it a couple of weeks ago. As soon as I finish what I'm reading now in the next day or two, I'm diving in. In fact, I may dig them all out and reread them in order.

37 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Me, too! I especially love his books with the characters Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro. After doing 5 books with them, he swore them off, saying something like they had pretty much run their course. But then he published Moonlight Mile a few years back. It picks up on the plot of Gone Baby Gone (which was made into a movie). I finally got my hands on it a couple of weeks ago. As soon as I finish what I'm reading now in the next day or two, I'm diving in. In fact, I may dig them all out and reread them in order.

I've actually read Moonlight Mile. This is my second time around for the Kenzie and Gennaro series. Thankfully, I've forgotten what happens in most of them. I'm excited to go on that journey again.

The Last Ride (1978) by Robert E. Howard

This book is a collection of his Western short stories. I didn't even know that Howard (creator of Conan, King Kull, & Solomon Kane) had dabbled in writing Westerns. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. He is a Texan after all. The stories are pretty good. They make for good, quick reading. The bad guys are coarse and barbaric for the most part, though you do get the evil rancher a time or two. The heroes are hard honorable men, unapologetic about living by the code of the West. Still, the characters and their development are pretty standard fare. In this genre, he was no Zane Grey, but I'd certainly read more of his Western stuff. 

16 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

The Last Ride (1978) by Robert E. Howard

This book is a collection of his Western short stories. I didn't even know that Howard (creator of Conan, King Kull, & Solomon Kane) had dabbled in writing Westerns. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. He is a Texan after all. The stories are pretty good. They make for good, quick reading. The bad guys are coarse and barbaric for the most part, though you do get the evil rancher a time or two. The heroes are hard honorable men, unapologetic about living by the code of the West. Still, the characters and their development are pretty standard fare. In this genre, he was no Zane Grey, but I'd certainly read more of his Western stuff. 

Interesting, I didn't know he wrote westerns. Going to add this on my "To read" list. =D

A Matrix of Angels by Christopher Conlon - A coming of age drama at heart, against a back drop of a small town plagued by a series of three murders. While the story was beautifully written, there really wasn't much to it. It felt bland with nothing hooking me. A fine book, my all means. But certainly nothing above average. It teases a serial killer thriller of sorts and seriously fizzles out by the end.

Hmm...

Started reading "Psycho II" (1982 By Robert Bloch)  Pretty good so far, and a real page turner. Norman Bates is certainly living up to the term "Psycho" in this book already. "Spoiler" What he did to the Nuns visiting the Asylum during his escape was messed up. "Spoiler End" 

12 hours ago, DarthKato said:

Hmm...

Started reading "Psycho II" (1982 By Robert Bloch)  Pretty good so far, and a real page turner. Norman Bates is certainly living up to the term "Psycho" in this book already. "Spoiler" What he did to the Nuns visiting the Asylum during his escape was messed up. "Spoiler End" 

I've never read the book but I think the film is super underrated.

On 6/11/2019 at 6:52 AM, Drunken Monk said:

I've never read the book but I think the film is super underrated.

I haven't watched the film yet, but I probably will now. But I heard its a lot different than the book. 

The unbearable lightness of being. The style is superb, but I’m tired of romantic and sex stuff, it’s a pointless and boring topic. But again the style is fantastic.

The human stain by Philip Roth. Fantastic novel describing very accurately the hypocrisy of the new PC world.

Moonlight Mile (2011) by Dennis Lehane

Two of my favorite detective characters are Lehane's private investigators Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro. This apparently final installment of the characters (man, I hope not) takes off 12 years after the story set forth in Gone Baby Gone. This time the PI's are tasked with finding a missing girl and a stolen baby who are wanted by the Russian mafia. These are such fun characters, and Lehane breathes life into them with a sense of loyalty and snarkiness. A few of the supporting cast players are there, and the new characters are genuinely interesting, fun, and dangerous. The case puts Kenzie in a position of obligation and dread, driven by his nagging need to keep his word and know the truth for his own sense of curiosity. Dadgum, this was good book!

28 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Moonlight Mile (2011) by Dennis Lehane

Two of my favorite detective characters are Lehane's private investigators Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro. This apparently final installment of the characters (man, I hope not) takes off 12 years after the story set forth in Gone Baby Gone. This time the PI's are tasked with finding a missing girl and a stolen baby who are wanted by the Russian mafia. These are such fun characters, and Lehane breathes life into them with a sense of loyalty and snarkiness. A few of the supporting cast players are there, and the new characters are genuinely interesting, fun, and dangerous. The case puts Kenzie in a position of obligation and dread, driven by his nagging need to keep his word and know the truth for his own sense of curiosity. Dadgum, this was good book!

I'm currently reading Darkness, Take My Hand. The second book in the series. It's not as tight as the first book with a larger bevy of characters and a intertwining plot. But the writing is just as good and it moves at a wonderful pace. Plus, I'm a sucker for a particularly grim serial killer so this one has me turning pages as quickly as possible.
I aim to read the whole series again but may take breaks in between to read smaller novels. Just to give myself a breather. I'm itching to read some Clive Barker so I might tackle Weaveworld next.

1 hour ago, Drunken Monk said:

I'm currently reading Darkness, Take My Hand. The second book in the series. It's not as tight as the first book with a larger bevy of characters and a intertwining plot. But the writing is just as good and it moves at a wonderful pace. Plus, I'm a sucker for a particularly grim serial killer so this one has me turning pages as quickly as possible.
I aim to read the whole series again but may take breaks in between to read smaller novels. Just to give myself a breather. I'm itching to read some Clive Barker so I might tackle Weaveworld next.

Yeah, I'm going to have to dig mine out and read them all again. They are all good, but like you I have certain preference to certain stories.

You know, I've never read any of Clive Barker's stuff. Thought about it few times, but I just haven't come across one with a synopsis that makes me really want to give it a try.

8 minutes ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

You know, I've never read any of Clive Barker's stuff. Thought about it few times, but I just haven't come across one with a synopsis that makes me really want to give it a try.

He's an acquired taste. His interpretation of horror is dark and twisted. But he's one hell of a writer. I highly recommend The Great and Secret Show. It's bizarre but in a truly fantastical and enamoring way. But, admittedly, he's not to everyone's tastes.