I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
DiP

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Down to 84% on Rotten Tomatoes... From the negative reviews I sorted through, most complain about too much action and in the style of Bay.. I have no problem with that because if you're expecting this to be as good as The Dark Knight, you'll be mildly disappointed but since I'm going to see this along with The Dark Knight trilogy on Thursday night lasting till Friday Morning?? I'll be dead tired by the third film anyways,and if it's all action, it's going to be a lot easier to digest...

I sent to the hospital with a broken jaw and broken collarbone.

You must know Kung Fu??? Man, I wish I knew how to fight but then again my lazy ass parents never took me to any other martial art school at a young age... It's too late to learn now, :tinysmile_angry2_t:

You must know Kung Fu??? Man, I wish I knew how to fight but then again my lazy ass parents never took me to any other martial art school at a young age... It's too late to learn now, :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Yes I do. I've studied Wing chun, Muay Thai, Kickboxing and tibetan white crane kung fu. But in that instance I used a baseball bat. And I was also arrested for assault, but ultimately not charged.

I never want to kill anyone, If I don't have to. But I will always stand up for myself, and preserve my life in any way I can. And the criminals here are becoming more hardcore. Especially since the EU was nice enough to open the borders, resulting in a steady stream of criminals from eastern europe, who don't give a fuck about anything. So yes, given the legal right, I would buy a Gun for home protection. But it's just a tool. A deadly one, that you will hopefully never need. It's not an accessory or a cock extender to be carried around in public, like you're some kind of fucking cowboy.

I personally think that the gun culture in america borders on distgusting. I hate when those conservative morons or toothless rednecks yell about their constitutional rights to take their AK47 into Starbucks..... What kind of pathetic loser Are you? Buy a handgun, store it safely in your home. And stop glorifying guns and violence like it's still the wild west.

Watched it on Friday. I thought it was good as expected but not better than The Dark Knight. Batman was barely in it. The high note is that it has the best fights in the series where the camera was pulled back so you could actually see things. :tongue:

Watched it on Friday. I thought it was good as expected but not better than The Dark Knight. Batman was barely in it. The high note is that it has the best fights in the series where the camera was pulled back so you could actually see things. :tongue:

My sentiments exactly except for the fight scenes... I didn't really think they were all that great except for the one in front of city hall... Doesn't Batman and Bane know martial arts being in League Of Shadows?? Catwoman or Selina I didn't buy it at all...

Yeah, the screen time of all the main characters felt reduced. But there's a LOT going on here. Overall I loved it. Not sure if it's better than The Dark Knight, but it's up there. Bane was definitely a worthy foe, though I couldn't understand what he was saying all the time. And I agree about the action scenes. I was mostly able to follow what was happening and see the fighters. And the score was perfect, as always.

My sentiments exactly except for the fight scenes... I didn't really think they were all that great except for the one in front of city hall... Doesn't Batman and Bane know martial arts being in League Of Shadows?? Catwoman or Selina I didn't buy it at all...

I didn't find most of the short scuffles anything special but i loved both Bane fights. And I thought Catwoman was one of the best things in that movie. Its just that they needed to explain some things more like how she got her suit and about her partner.

Yeah, the screen time of all the main characters felt reduced. But there's a LOT going on here. Overall I loved it. Not sure if it's better than The Dark Knight, but it's up there. Bane was definitely a worthy foe, though I couldn't understand what he was saying all the time. And I agree about the action scenes. I was mostly able to follow what was happening and see the fighters. And the score was perfect, as always.

Although there was really too much going on, I think Nolan handed things alright. Way better than the cluttered Spiderman 3. I agree with you on Bane's voice. Definitely using subs on the blu ray.

Some people shouldn't be movie critics...

I'm all about different opinions, but this is the most hilariously bad review I've ever read for this movie:

http://nypress.com/armond-white-nolans-the-dark-knight-rises-markets-mediocrity/

"There hasn’t been a trilogy this shapeless and unresonant since The Lord of the Rings"

WHAT??!?!?!??!:ooh:

I saw it the other day. It was a good super hero movie. The fights were nothing much. They were like the old style "I'll hit you, then you hit me" style of fights that western made films used to have. Given the supposed fight skills of the characters it would have been nice to see something a bit more special than just pub brawling!

I too couldn't understand what Bane was saying half the time. But as an action film it was good. I hadn't been to the cinema for around 2 years, so wasn't disappointed. Liked the look of Total Recall and the new Bourne film too.

I saw it the other day. It was a good super hero movie. The fights were nothing much. They were like the old style "I'll hit you, then you hit me" style of fights that western made films used to have. Given the supposed fight skills of the characters it would have been nice to see something a bit more special than just pub brawling!

I too couldn't understand what Bane was saying half the time. But as an action film it was good. I hadn't been to the cinema for around 2 years, so wasn't disappointed. Liked the look of Total Recall and the new Bourne film too.

Subtitles for Bane should of been provided as I agree some words I could not make out. Lucky we have DVD and Blu-ray to re watch it! :wink:

Subtitles for Bane should of been provided as I agree some words I could not make out. Lucky we have DVD and Blu-ray to re watch it!

@BLfan: I agree with you on that, it was really hard a few times to understand exactly what Bane was saying!

Finally saw it! Now that everything has been tied up, the final question of whether or not it would surpass all two films (The Dark Knight particularly) combined has eventually come to an end. Is it better than The Dark Knight? Does it raise the bar in any area or aspect? Is it a damn great conclusion to an already awesome series? In my opinion: no, definitely, and hell yes! I think it's broader, more intense and overall superior to Batman Begins but it lacks in some areas of which The Dark Knight hit the nail on the spot.

The biggest flaw here which the previous installments got right was the pacing. It's like Nolan was so into the grand-scale epicness of the story that it seemed he forgot to put enough effort and emphasis on placing together plot points and set-pieces neatly and to have the story take time to build itself like Nolan do flawlessly. At several times in the first act, the rushes get apparent and it ruins the overall momentum and tone. Also, what's with Scarecrow's appearance doing absolutely nothing worthwhile? Had it not been for these issues I think the film would've been perfect.

But overlooking these things, I'm thoroughly impressed. Nolan knows how to raise bars whenever he wants to risk it. What we have here is a darker (Batman being put in the worst psychical state, Bane taking over Gotham with the help of all of Gotham's criminals while creating his own "justice" system for the poor and suffering), more violent, and the most intense chapter of Batman's journey with an unusually satisfying conclusion. Add to that, there's also a hugely opened setting with massive action set-pieces as well as fight scenes that can exceed expectations as far as capturing fight choreography goes - inspite of fighting kept to minimal as usual opposed to the comics - combined with the great production values and traits such as cinematography, music, direction, set locations etc.

Acting here was great as usual varying from of usual standard (Caine, Freeman, Oldman, Cotillard) to exceptional (Hardy, Hatheway, Bale). Hardy's interpretation of Bane really stood out. While he's covered in a mask in every scene of which he's present, all the acting is done through his eyes. That would take a hell lot to nail I bet but he succeeded greatly. But something Nolan could've done better was to voice Bane clearly (thankfully, the subs were on at the theater I was at) and more convincingly as most lines he delivers are almost incomprehensible and at times it sounds too soft for such a big villain respectively - the scene where he's reading Gordon's speech about Dent's crimes had me cringing a little. Also exceptional was Hathaway who showed a completely different version from Michelle Pfeiffer's Selina Kyle/Catwoman but it was equally as great. Her character switches sides for the sake of her own agenda but later choosing what is right for Batman and Gotham. The character itself was explained with lack of background but overall the film does justice in that the available screen-time gives the viewer a wide enough perspective of what drives the character doing what she does.

Overall, I love it and declare this one of the best (if not the BEST) finishers to a film trilogy to date. I can't see anyone else but Nolan accomplish something like this so it would be interesting from here on whether or not other directors can do what Nolan has now done with three films.

Rating: 9.5/10