I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
DiP

Drug War (2013)

Just came back watching the movie and it was incredible. I'm truly surprised the movie got approval from Chinese Censorship considering the graphic violence and use of drugs. This really brings out alot of questions concerning the "bright" future of Chinese Cinema and the presence of the censorship. One can only imagine how much film-makers would be able to do with such creative freedom and expression. On the other, I heard Chinese Censorship gave the movie an exception of getting passed so this may be just for occasional movies.

Anyway, the movie features a simple but complex story with lots of actors playing key roles you'll have to memorize to fully follow the story, strong and memorable characters (my favorite was Brother "Haha"), compelling and quite disturbing scenes involving drug use and addiction, and culminates greatly with betrayal as well as twists and LOTS of guns from every direction. Everything's put together the way it's usually done by J. To and if you're familiar with the overall structure and aesthetics of Milkyway pictures, you already know what to expect. Suspense is there, intensity's there. Music, lighting/cinematography, editing, sound effects etc. Overall, I got a great kick out of the movie for the freshness it brought. J. To puts on a great show once again.

Just came back watching the movie and it was incredible.

That's great to hear DiP. :bigsmile: I'm very excited to see this film.

For those of you on the East Coast of the USA, DRUG WAR is being shown at the New York Asian Film Festival this year. It's on the big screen on Friday, July 5th at 7:45pm at the Walter Reade Theater in New York City. :bigsmile:

Here's a link for more info: http://www.filmlinc.com/films/on-sale/drug-war

I've been lucky to catch a few of Johnny To's films in the theater, and that's definitely the way to see them. :nerd:

Good to hear, DiP..... looking forward to it.

If you didn't like his new movies (recall you saying this in one thread), you're definitely going to enjoy this. It's akin to his late 90s work.

That's great to hear DiP. :bigsmile: I'm very excited to see this film.

For those of you on the East Coast of the USA, DRUG WAR is being shown at the New York Asian Film Festival this year. It's on the big screen on Friday, July 5th at 7:45pm at the Walter Reade Theater in New York City. :bigsmile:

Here's a link for more info: http://www.filmlinc.com/films/on-sale/drug-war

I've been lucky to catch a few of Johnny To's films in the theater, and that's definitely the way to see them. :nerd:

Enjoy the show, you're going to love it. Btw, what other J. To movies have you seen in the theater?

Enjoy the show, you're going to love it. Btw, what other J. To movies have you seen in the theater?

Sadly, I'm not going to get to attend this year's festival. :cry: But I still want to spread the word about it to everyone else.

Let's see... the Johnnie To films that I saw in the theater include:

HEROIC TRIO

THE MISSION

THROW DOWN

ELECTION

ELECTION 2

EXILED

I saw EXILED twice, because I wanted to introduce a friend to his films, and I got him to go to the second screening later in the same week.

My top Johnnie To films:

1-Exiled

2-A Hero Never Dies

3-The Mission

4-Drug War

5-Election

6-Mad Detective

7-The Longest Nite

8-Election 2

9-PTU

10-Sparrow

Great list. My top J. To films are:

The Mission

The Longest Nite

Sparrow

Drug War

PTU

Throw Down

Mad Detective

Election 2

Election

Election 2

Life Without Principle

A Hero Never Dies

Running Out Of Time

The Longest Nite

Exiled

The Mission

I have a feeling Drug War will be joining this list very soon..

Election 2

Life Without Principle

A Hero Never Dies

Running Out Of Time

The Longest Nite

Exiled

The Mission

I have a feeling Drug War will be joining this list very soon..

Drug War deserves to be on that list

I bet; I just need to see it first.

Also, not that it's one of his best films or anything, but I really enjoy Loving You. It was the beginning of the epic Johnnie To and Lau Ching Wan partnership and basically set the template for what Milkyway would become.

Mixing business with pleasure: Johnnie To’s DRUG WAR by David Bordwell (July 8, 2013)

My top 10 (not including uncredited otherwise The Odd One Dies and The Longest Nite would be on there):

Throw Down (2004)

Sparrow

The Mission (1999)

Mad Detective (2007) (co-dir Wai Ka-Fai)

Running Out of Time (1999)

PTU (2003)

The Big Heat (1988) (co-dir Andrew Kam Yeung-Wa)

Election (2005)

Exiled (2006)

Breaking News (2004)

Worst: Lucky Encounter (1992)

Too many J. To films in recent years have made me forgot about his mediocre ones. I would say The Enigmatic Case and Justice, My Foot! are his worst efforts.

I wouldn't count The Big Heat as a Johnnie To film as such, since there were multiple directors on that gig, Andrew Kam and Tsui Hark among them. But if I did count it, it would most def be on the list. Longest Nite counts to me because it is commonly known that To did most of the work.

Too many J. To films in recent years have made me forgot about his mediocre ones. I would say The Enigmatic Case and Justice, My Foot! are his worst efforts.

While I would not promote either one of those I have never been as annoyed with a film of his as with Lucky Encounter. I'm not the biggest Executioners or Wu Yen (2001) (co-dir Wai Ka-Fai) fan either (and I'm someone who likes The Eighth Happiness and Love On a Diet (2001) (co-dir Wai Ka-Fai)). Funny I was so happy when I found a copy of The Enigmatic Case, well until I watched it.

To is certainly one of my favorite directors, so I try to watch as much as his directed (and co-directed) films as possible. I do hope Drug War gets a release near where I live.

I wouldn't count The Big Heat as a Johnnie To film as such, since there were multiple directors on that gig, Andrew Kam and Tsui Hark among them. But if I did count it, it would most def be on the list. Longest Nite counts to me because it is commonly known that To did most of the work.

I was counting it for my list because his name was on the credits (just the criteria I had when making the quick ten). Otherwise I as I said I would otherwise include both The Longest Nite and The Odd One Dies.

I never knew he ghost directed Odd One Dies, though his quirky stamp is all over it.

Still looking for the dvd, which seems to vanished off the face of the earth. And when you finally come across a copy on eBay or Amazon, the price is ridiculous. Saw one for 999$ that's fucking retarded!

I never knew he ghost directed Odd One Dies, though his quirky stamp is all over it.

Still looking for the dvd, which seems to vanished off the face of the earth. And when you finally come across a copy on eBay or Amazon, the price is ridiculous. Saw one for 999$ that's fucking retarded!

A couple years back I did a longish review here on The Odd One Dies.

For a short time a couple of years ago there was a flood of The Odd One Dies (Amazon has one for 35 right now) along with The Enigmatic Case (one for 16.95 on Amazon right now).

I see that Drug War has a pre-order on Amazon for October 15, 2013.