I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

OldPangYau

Films considered classics that you haven't seen yet...

As much as it pains me to say this, I *JUST* watched Hard Boiled for the first time last night :tongue: Lived up to the hype, and the one take (well, two takes with one hidden splice) shootout in the finale was amazing.

But it made me wonder, what other "classics of the genre" around these forums have others yet to see? Hell, took me until the past couple years to finally see some of the classic Shaw Brothers films, such as 36th Chamber of Shaolin and Five Deadly Venoms (although I had seen films such as King Boxer, Boxer From Shantung, and Chinatown Kid about a decade earlier).

I still have not seen "36th Chamber of Shaolin" or "Five Deadly Venoms". I did finally get

a copy of "36th Chamber of Shaolin", but I haven't watched it yet.

Also, I feel your pain OldPangYau, as I have yet to watch Hard Boiled:sad:.

Legend of the fox...I have seen trailer and clips and it looks great tho some at forums say it`s crap.

It`s last venom movie I have not seen and have ivl on my shelf but I want to save it when have special feeling nail it:)

Ok, it might not be considered as classic by wider public but for me it is because I love venom movies.

I have yet to see Jet Li's Shaolin Temple, I'm taking it it's a classic but I have to admit I'm not the biggest Li fan.

I need to see Hard Boiled again, I saw it once around 10 years ago on a rent, such a weird thing to see a shot of Tequila poured at the beginning of a Chinese movie, but then you understand, man that first shoot out is something else.

I have yet to see Jet Li's Shaolin Temple, I'm taking it it's a classic but I have to admit I'm not the biggest Li fan.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in this. It's got an "old school" feel to it and it showcases a variety of styles and apparatus. (This has some of the best "Drunken" boxing I've ever seen.)

Guest Yi-Long
I wsnt so keen on hard boiled thought final shootout dragged on lol

I prefer Bullet in the Head and the killer

The Killer really hasn't aged very well.

Bullet in the Head is great, but for me Hard Boiled is one of my favourite movies ever. Yeah, the ending was a bit 'long', but I never minded it. I think the whole movie is brilliant.

I have yet to see Jet Li's Shaolin Temple, I'm taking it it's a classic but I have to admit I'm not the biggest Li fan...

What's interesting about Jet is, as a young Martial Artist, when you see his skill in those early Mainland films-the man was electric! He did have that certain "it"...

Skills off the charts!

:nerd:

Just remembered that I have not seen any of Sonny Chiba's "Street Fighter" movies yet.

Same here but I did start watching Street Fighter and after seeing the first 5 min and a brief fight sequence I couldn't motivate myself to continue, it looks like it's going to be so bad. *ducks for cover*:squigglemouth:

I'm sure there are literally tons of classics I haven't seen but as time goes by I'm gradually seeing more of them.

gravedigger: i wouldnt consider LEGEND OF THE FOX a classic, i`m aware of peeps from this board giving LotF no credit & thats just wrong!. i say GIVE IT A SHOT, its pretty decent. little fighting, top notch tho. lu feng is badass. talky flick. nicely atmospheric. direction-wise, i go as far as to say its one of chang cheh`s more qualified efforts of the late70s/mid80s.

i for one prefer LotF to others of CCs that are widely considered 'real venoms classics' like magnificent ruffians, daredevils, shaolin rescuers or flag of iron. solid stuff.

i guess i got pretty much every single HK "classic" in my collection, be it action, martial arts, thriller or comedy (and a bunch of the very best horror gems and dramas on top of that).

japanese jidai geki is another story. im not too fond of japanese drama, and essentially they are exactly that. own 2 handful of the late 60s to mid 80s essentials, but thats about it. have missed out on MANY of kurosawas and other jap classics.

i ve never seen bruce`s way of the dragon in one go. always (3 or 4 times)just larger bits and pieces. after any 20, 25 mins of WotD, i start to get bored :squigglemouth:

streetfighter series isnt all that either imo. still not bad and worth a look.

Hard Boiled and The Killer (both recent rewatches) I think are excellent.

I need to see Shaolin Temple, Peking Opera Blues as well. I'm not sure what classics I need to see, but there are plenty of movies that I still need to watch (all genres).

Ahh (looking at some best of lists) I do need to see Chinese Boxer, Clan of the White Lotus, The Blade and looking forward to Killer Clan.

For every movie I watch, I discover there are at least 3-5 more I need to see! I still haven't seen:

Red Cliff

Shaolin Temple 1 & 2 (outside the Jet Li training montage)

Legendary Weapons of China

Martial Club

The One-Armed Swordsman

Eight-Diagram Pole Fighter

Heroes Two

7 Grandmasters

Honestly I am trying, but I've been focusing more on the new stuff lately.

For every movie I watch, I discover there are at least 3-5 more I need to see! I still haven't seen:

Red Cliff

Shaolin Temple 1 & 2 (outside the Jet Li training montage)

Legendary Weapons of China

Martial Club

The One-Armed Swordsman

Eight-Diagram Pole Fighter

Heroes Two

7 Grandmasters

Honestly I am trying, but I've been focusing more on the new stuff lately.

Those are definitely films to catch soon!

Nice to see examples from others :xd: I still need to see films such as Shaolin Temple and Chinese Boxer as well. Some movies I have, yet I haven't actually sat down to watch them.

One sad case, I have the Dragon Dynasty DVD and laserdisc of Last Hurrah For Chivalry... never seen the movie. I ended up with the Tai Seng laserdisc when buying an LD lot on eBay, then when collecting the Dragon Dynasty DVDs (damn spine numbers), I picked up Last Hurrah when it was on sale.

Ironically, I'm trying to watch all of the Dragon Dynasty DVDs in order that I've yet to watch, and having just finished all of the extras for Hard Boiled, Last Hurrah will be next. Not saying Last Hurrah is considered a "classic", but rather a film in which I have too many versions for having never seen it :tongue: