I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
OpiumKungFuCracker

Riots in London

rnfdrUnFe8c&feature=player_embedded#at=45

k7H02HSip_c

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-london-riots-20110808,0,1313154.story

Reporting from London—

Community leaders on Sunday condemned the worst outbreak of violence and looting in London in a quarter-century, but some observers said more such unrest was likely in low-income areas hit hard by a sharp cutback in government services.

A march in the Tottenham area of north London to protest the shooting of 29-year-old Mark Duggan in a police operation to control firearms two days earlier turned violent late Saturday. Buildings were looted and torched, 26 police officers and three civilians were injured, and 55 arrests were made. Several families were left homeless.

It was regarded as the worst mob violence in London since disturbances in the nearby Broadwater Farm area 25 years ago, in which a police officer was hacked to death.

Duggan's brother, Shaun Hall, said he understood the anger over unemployment and government cutbacks, but called for an end to the violence. "I know people are frustrated; they're angry out there at the moment. But I would say please try and hold it down. Please don't make this about my brother's life."

A leader of the district governing council blamed a small group for the violence, which she said undermined decades of community efforts to rebuild. "The people of Tottenham deserves far better than the pain and damage inflicted by a minority of mindless troublemakers," said Claire Kober.

Tottenham's representative in Parliament, David Lammy of the Labor Party, also condemned the looting.

"The community deserves answers to what happened on Thursday night, but they don't deserve this," he said in a telephone interview. "Last night seemed to be an attack on the community — jewelers, hairdressers, the post office, independent shops."

The businesses lost in the violence belonged to local people, not chains, he said.

Tottenham is home to an ethnically mixed population including Asians and North Africans, as well as people of Middle Eastern and Caribbean backgrounds. Despite improvements since riots in 1985, many feel that it has been unfairly hit by cutbacks in government services, and that it has failed to benefit from plans to invest in areas near the site of the 2012 Olympic Summer Games.

Police were called Sunday to the nearby district of Enfield, where youths broke shop windows.

David Hill, a blogger and commentator for the Guardian newspaper, suggested that Tottenham could be a catalyst for violence elsewhere in the city.

"I don't know what the answers are, but feel grimly confident that such an awful, perfect storm of rumor, resentment and criminality could break in a dozen other parts of inner-city London any day," he wrote in the Guardian. "These are nervous times."

The shooting incident is under investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission, which has the legal responsibility to inquire into any death caused by police action. The police are conducting their own inquiry into the riots.

Stobart is a news assistant in The Times' London bureau.

I see it's spread to other parts, nice to see ppl using death of someone as excuse to loot.

People all over the world riot for their rights, their freedom, for their futures, and here there's riots to loot stuff

I see it's spread to other parts, nice to see ppl using death of someone as excuse to loot.

People all over the world riot for their rights, their freedom, for their futures, and here there's riots to loot stuff

They do the same thing here in the US.

Mob mentality: the thought process of the moronic.

Guest Markgway

We don't even know yet why the dead man was shot? It may well be a just shooting in which case all this 'unrest' is unjustified. As for the destruction, arson, and looting... well that's just an excuse for scum to do what they do best. Britain isn't tough enough on those who break the law.

One of the saddest moments I saw on TV during the '92 LA riots was a shop owner in tears as he chided the looters. (Wish I could find this on YT). They just stood there, baffled, as he scolded them like little children. They had just ravaged one of their own neighborhood shops which had nothing to do with Rodney King or the Black-Korean conflict. Nothing but a mob mentality in most riots. Looters use the poor excuse of police brutality, racial unrest or a good old-fashioned blackout for a free shopping spree. Anyone remember the two women cops looting during Hurricane Katrina? Truly pathetic.

NmQW6xLECUU

has anyone else noticed this seems to be common practice recently in the UK as hooligans use this as an excuse to follow peaceful demonstrations? I wonder if there's something behind it so that the government can limit people's right to free and peaceful protest. Either way it's absolutely disgraceful.

Haven't seen many reports about how the victim, Mark Duggan aka Starrish Mark, fired at the police and has connections with the North London's Tottenham Man Dem gang. Guess that wouldn't be very PC now would it? Of course, the media is also fueling the fire (pun) by providing live reports, naming street locations of hot spots, which only educates the looters waiting on the sidelines to where they need to go so they can join in on the party.

Guest Markgway

It's now being projected across the globe what a sad, pathetic little country we are.

Great Britain, my arse.

Get out the water cannons; and if that doesn't work, snipers.

The Police need to take back the streets for decent people.

News footage showed a furniture store engulfed in flames; a family business that had survived over a century. That's right it survived two world wars only to be torched by a bunch of scum.

Makes me sick.

It's all gone mad now. It's not just knowing the hot spots, it's reportedly a case of everywhere's a hot spot - especially south east London where I am; especially if you're a known retailer. I'm hearing about everywhere around me all sides getting looting reports - Lewisham, Lee, Greenwich, Deptford, Peckham, Croydon, etc... local radio has now reported numerous cars pulling up to one shopping trading estate area in Greenwich & just loading up with electrical & sports goods... it's not in a residential bit, you pretty much need to drive there, just all the major retail giants have warehouse sized shops there: guess everyone's just trying their luck. I'll step out & survey some damage when day breaks on my way to check Arrietty at the cinema; I'm planning a Ghibli-based matinee to escape my immediate surroundings... they better not try & loot the cinemas.

what about assdonkeys?

Aren't those the same things? Either way, yes, those would do. Pack quite a kick and that incessant braying... Enough to drive anyone mad!

Cheers Teako. I had been seriously planning to head to Catford very first thing in the morning before cinema to do a bit of practice at a local gym... on this street:

rMXCpNAuOXU

Yeah, I'll give that a miss...

These bloody damn kids have been playing too many video games. Don't these kids have parents? What shitty parents? At least break out the rubber bullets and start shooting these fools.

Agreed - time to stop playing around and employee some effective tactics. Whether people get hurt or not does not matter at this point.