kungpowmaster

What's the last MA film you watched?

Hmm, has been several years since last screening but I am pretty sure in Fists Lo Lieh plays character who is cousin or brother of Pai Mei. Mite be I am mistaken tho...

Might be like Desperado or Evil Dead 2, which were a strange mix of sequel and remake at the same time.

I watched 2 movies today:

Journey of the Doomed.

This is a later Shaw film. It wasn't bad, it had some hot naked girls. The story was ok. It was not like the 60's, 70's classic Shaw films. It didn't have much Kung Fu action at all. I think a second viewing would be better. It was OK, but not a classic Kung Fu type film.

Then I watched:

The Dragon Family.

I bought this because I saw a kickass trailer on this DVD I have, and it looked great. I looked it up in my Asian Cult Cinema book, and it was compared to Hardboiled, which I like. So, it's not as good as Hardboiled, but it was very good on it's own. It's a triad mob and revenge film, with a lot of gunplay and blood, and a little KF action. I liked it.

I watched a couple of my VCDs today.

Are VCDs still made? I suspect they are just an Asian thing?

The ones I have seen are usually not that great in picture quality.

OK, so I watched a movie I'd not seen before, on the Meiah VCD:

Wild Panther.

This movie was good. It was good action. It reminded me of one of those IFD, Filmark, Godfrey Ho type Ninja films, even though this movie had no Ninjas, the style, the action, and music, was similar to those types of films.

I don't know who was in this, and I think it was a Korean production.

Picture quality was OK, like an old vHS, but what hurt it most was the widescreen film was cropped to a full screen, and in doing this, they cropped the English subtitles as well.

But I could follow it enough, and it's a high actioner, mob, modern city setting.

Next I watched:

Island of Fire. With a bunch of big names, Sammo Hung, I think Andy Lau, Chan...

The VCD of this is Chinese version, and it has English subs. I did not see a VCD label name on the packaging. Picture was oK, and was widescreen, and subs were readable, except when they were on the screen when something light colored was there as well, as they are in white, and I could not read them then. I have the US DVD of The Prisoner, and I like it, But that's all I'd seen before. This version was very good, and it did have a difference from the US DVD, but the bad thing here, is about 3 minutes till the end, the subs stop, and it goes on to end in original language. I think I read the DVD does this too, is that true? This makes me want the Taiwan version now after I read some reviews.

I watched a couple of my VCDs today.

Are VCDs still made? I suspect they are just an Asian thing?

The ones I have seen are usually not that great in picture quality.

I think they're still made, as they're really cheap. Hell, for years I made them myself until I got a DVD player that supported DivX. They only really took off in SE Asia, although I do recall seeing some MANY years ago over here.

Just saw Shaolin Mantis the other day for the first time. It was one of the few Lau Kar Leung films from the late 70s/early 80s that I still hadn't seen and it was awesome. Can't believe I hadn't made it a priority before now.

a force of one

chuck norris, ron o'neal

local badass, martial arts instructor helps police take down a heron ring.

a drug ring who happen to use ninjas

1st norris film i've watched in quite a while.

Yesterday I watched "Bells of Death".

A Shaw Production.

This was OK, but a couple of things seemed odd to me.

The hero meets up with a "noble swordsman" and requests to be trained.

But then that's the last we see of that coupleing.

Next thing you see is our hero walking down the street, seemingly already all trained up.

And then he is seeking these killers, but how did he know of them?

I didn't see him seeing the killings, so how does he know who they are?

Overall, acting, performing, and production was all good Shaw classic quality.

the sword

jimmy wang yu

this is my 2nd or3rd viewing if this. gets better every time. this goround i noticed the actings pretty good.

local baller becomes consumed w/ finding the perfect sword.

- i have the dubbed crash cinema version. like many the white dubbing is hard to read in the snow scenes.

Yesterday I watched "Bells of Death".

A Shaw Production.

This was OK, but a couple of things seemed odd to me.

The hero meets up with a "noble swordsman" and requests to be trained.

But then that's the last we see of that coupleing.

Next thing you see is our hero walking down the street, seemingly already all trained up.

And then he is seeking these killers, but how did he know of them?

I didn't see him seeing the killings, so how does he know who they are?

Overall, acting, performing, and production was all good Shaw classic quality.

I know what you mean.. There's a bit of inferred story telling; Chang Yi sees the villains early on and the old master is supposed to have relented and trained him.. I like this film and own 3 versions.

just finished THE GALLANTS.

wow! excellent! old school martial arts stars in a contemporary setting. goes to show what film-makers can acheive without a big budget and CGI horsecrap! highly recommended:angel:

The Himalayan (Golden Harvest, 1976) (Joy Sales DVD)

It's damn near criminal how difficult it is to get hold of Angela Mao Ying's work. She deserves far better than to be best known in the West for her cameo in Enter the Dragon. Hapkido aside, I can't think of too many of her films that have been released on DVD here. The Fate of Lee Khan had a VHS release, but that's LONG gone.

just finished THE GALLANTS.

wow! excellent! old school martial arts stars in a contemporary setting. goes to show what film-makers can acheive without a big budget and CGI horsecrap! highly recommended:angel:

Totally agree with you, I just finished watching this. I will definitely be revisiting this one a lot and introducing it to friends (when I can).

Just watched the bluray of Return of Chen Zhen: Legend of the Fist. I saw this last summer on the big scrren, and it didn't grab me that much. I liked it much more watching it at home the second time. Donnie Yen is a solid actor, and it's great to see such lavish production values in martial arts movies.

Human Lanterns (Shaw Brothers, 1982) (Momentum Asia DVD)

Demented swordplay/slasher/morality play, with Lo Lieh clearly having a ball as an unhinged lanternmaker wreaking havoc on the lives of Liu Yung and Chen Kuan Tai.

I just watched a super awesome film.

"Challenge of the Lady Ninja".

This was great. Great dub. Good story, good action.

Really good.

I don't know who was in it. But I liked it.

It was released by Filmark, so you know it's gotta be good!

Treasure of Bruce Lee - starts out actually kind of promising, but then falls apart when they started splicing in footage from Bruce and Shaolin Kung Fu. Not sure why the felt the need to do that, but it ended up pretty disappointing. This was the version of the Japanese trying to steal the kung fu manual, not the one shot in the Philippines, aka Bruce and the Shaolin Bronzemen.