I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

kungpowmaster

What's the last MA film you watched?

Snake in the Eagle's Shadow 2 (Vengeance Video DVD)

Pan and scan, VHS transfer, Mandarin language with a couple of scenes in English, English subs (but probably dubtitles, going by the English-dubbed scenes), no Jackie edited in.

Pretty decent, all things considered, although I'm not certain as to how legit a sequel it is. I'm led to believe it's a name-only job though. A few really good fights, which made up for the weak, plothole-filled story.

I watched a fun one last night, but it's not technically a MA film,

It's an ASSO ASIA production, so you know it's gonna be good, it's called Empire of the Tortured Angels. The girls were hot, and the story well done.

Ninja ( Scott Atkins )..Plot was very basic stuff, not bad actually but so predictable.But 2 important thing about action scenes; they were well made and lots of them.

And with short ~80m playtime I`m sure going to give this go several times a future.

Nice one:smile:

Snuff Bottle Connection

Soulblade's print, like with their Secret Rivals releases, was scratched to buggery but had the colours restored pretty well. I can see why HKL gave up on them though; the prints were clearly in a terrible condition.

Pretty typical for a Hong Kong/Taiwanese indie flick, with your typical one-dimensional villains (Hwang Jang Lee, Roy Horan and his Russian henchmen, etc) and nonsensical story. Still, the fights are all that matters (well, Hwang Jang Lee's involved, so they should be), and they're pretty damn good mostly, aside from when the kid gets involved; turns into what looks like a slow rehearsal. Didn't find John Liu to be too bad here either, despite his lack of acting skills. For all his kicking ability, Liu often seemed to me to just be showing off his freakish flexibility, rather than fighting. Hwang Jang Lee tended to be able to bring out the best in people though. Didn't recognise the other lead, Yip Fei Yan, but he doesn't appear to have done too many films.

There are a few other recognisable faces, with brief glimpses of Yuen Biao and Corey Yuen, along with Hsu Hsia, Chang Chi Ping (star of many HK/Taiwanese indies) and the near-legendary Philip Ko Fei.

i still haven't seen the legend is born (Yip man)..would you rate that above Ip man 2?

I have never seen this one. From what I have read , it does not seem lke it was as good as the Donnie Yen movies. I really doubt I would rate it above Ip Man 2, which is a classic IMHO.

I have never seen this one. From what I have read , it does not seem lke it was as good as the Donnie Yen movies. I really doubt I would rate it above Ip Man 2, which is a classic IMHO.

Ip Man 2 Is no classic by any definition. Ip Man is a classic martial arts movie but everything about the sequel is simply mediocre!

I really doubt I would rate it above Ip Man 2, which is a classic IMHO.

You won't. Ip Man 2 wasn't a perfect film by any means but it has some great acting and better composed choreography (Part 1 is quite realistic but lacks power) which makes it good enough as a sequel.

Ip Man 2 Is no classic by any definition. Ip Man is a classic martial arts movie but everything about the sequel is simply mediocre!

I know it is not as good as the first, but it was a really good movie and a classic in my opinion. If you didn't like it, thats fine.:angel:

I'd say Ip Man 2 had good fights, but the rest was sadly lacking. Did they really have to harken back to the 70s with their one-dimensional gweilo villains?

I just watched Once Upon a Time in China, with Jet Li.

I'd never seen this before, I guess it was OK, but I found it to be too busy, with so much going on, and so many actors on the screen, that I was at times confused as to what was going on. Much later on, it started to make more sense, at least some of it.

I have the DVD Trilogy set, and it only had subtitles, and the picture quality was not so hot.

I think if this movie was craftily edited down to 90 mins, and had a nice dub, it would have been much better.

I just watched Once Upon a Time in China, with Jet Li.

I'd never seen this before, I guess it was OK, but I found it to be too busy, with so much going on, and so many actors on the screen, that I was at times confused as to what was going on. Much later on, it started to make more sense, at least some of it.

I have the DVD Trilogy set, and it only had subtitles, and the picture quality was not so hot.

I think if this movie was craftily edited down to 90 mins, and had a nice dub, it would have been much better.

If you have to watch it dubbed, try and find the HKL release. They've both Chinese and English audio and the picture quality is great.

If you have to watch it dubbed, try and find the HKL release. They've both Chinese and English audio and the picture quality is great.

I have most releases of the trilogy and the pq ranges from so-so to not bad on each... Which versions do you have, kingpowmaster?

:nerd:

I'd say Ip Man 2 had good fights, but the rest was sadly lacking. Did they really have to harken back to the 70s with their one-dimensional gweilo villains?

Or copy directly from Rocky and Fearless, for the umpteenth rime?!

:angel:

Seven Steps of Kung Fu. Picked up the Vengeance Video version,nice widecreen print,not perfect but remakably clear and quite an improvement over the craptacular Video Asia travesty . Insane choreography,talented preformers,ridiculous dub,covoluted plot,1979... and a very evil white haired villain-this is a top shelf film from the golden age of kung fu cinema.