Jump to content

I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

blue_skies

What was the last modern martial-arts film you watched?

Recommended Posts

The Monkey King 2 (2016) - Meh, better than the first one, but not my kind of film. The story is easier to follow and a lot more compelling, Aaron Kwok's characterization of Sun Wukong is more interesting than Donnie's, there a bit more fighting than in the first one, and the villainess is also a bit more compelling (played by the lovely Gong Li). Sammo Hung got an award nomination for his fight choreography, but ultimately lost to Stephen Tung Wai for Operation Mekong. I think the main story flaw is that Piggy and Sandy aren't as interesting as they should've been. The movie climaxes with an army of skeletons followed by Sun Wukong fighting a kaiju-sized skeleton.

Edited by DrNgor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Romeo Must Die - I was expecting this one to be a slice of late 90's (okay, year 2000) cheese and while it is, it's surprisingly watchable. Less a martial arts film than it is a weird crime drama with a few fight scenes sprinkled in here and there. Jet Li and Aaliyah are both solid leads and while the script is awfully dated and outright silly at times, the plot plays out pretty well.
Also...far less wire-work than I recalled. There are some TERRIBLE action moments in this one. The "I can't hit a girl" fight, the football scene and then, of course, those kicks. But, when looking at the bigger picture, I found myself pretty forgiving.
Not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination but a watchable little throwback to goofier times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Romeo Must Die - I was expecting this one to be a slice of late 90's (okay, year 2000) cheese and while it is, it's surprisingly watchable. Less a martial arts film than it is a weird crime drama with a few fight scenes sprinkled in here and there. Jet Li and Aaliyah are both solid leads and while the script is awfully dated and outright silly at times, the plot plays out pretty well.
Also...far less wire-work than I recalled. There are some TERRIBLE action moments in this one. The "I can't hit a girl" fight, the football scene and then, of course, those kicks. But, when looking at the bigger picture, I found myself pretty forgiving.
Not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination but a watchable little throwback to goofier times.

I agree it was watchable but what turned me off was that wirework, just too cartoony. But you know it was nowhere near as bad as Half Past Dead, seeing Steven Seagal's big ass performing wirework was absolutely hilarious. For Jet's English language pictures my favourites would be Danny the Dog followed by Kiss of the Dragon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, CT KID said:

For Jet's English language pictures my favourites would be Danny the Dog followed by Kiss of the Dragon.

He doesn’t speak an awful lot of English in it but I think he’s fantastic in Lethal Weapon 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

He doesn’t speak an awful lot of English in it but I think he’s fantastic in Lethal Weapon 4.

Yes his fight scenes in that film were awesome too, fast and exciting. Mel in the finale had a look on his face like "What the hell have I got myself into!" LOL 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

Romeo Must Die - I was expecting this one to be a slice of late 90's (okay, year 2000) cheese and while it is, it's surprisingly watchable. Less a martial arts film than it is a weird crime drama with a few fight scenes sprinkled in here and there. Jet Li and Aaliyah are both solid leads and while the script is awfully dated and outright silly at times, the plot plays out pretty well.
Also...far less wire-work than I recalled. There are some TERRIBLE action moments in this one. The "I can't hit a girl" fight, the football scene and then, of course, those kicks. But, when looking at the bigger picture, I found myself pretty forgiving.
Not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination but a watchable little throwback to goofier times.

Heh...made in a period when Joel "I Produced THE MATRIX! Not you! I did!" Silver was intent on reminding us that yes, indeed, he produced the Matrix, by ripping it off as much as he could. That said, I still enjoy the film and find it necessary to stop whatever I'm doing and watch it whenever I come across it on TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honor and Glory - I revisited this film a few days ago and still really enjoy it. I love the fact that anyone who fights is more than a stuntman, but also a martial artist (I'm guessing mostly members of Grandmaster Tai Yim's Hung Fut Kung Fu school) but it had a few good subplots (Donna Jason's Joyce having conflicts about her father; Chuck Jeffreys' Jake finding his moral compass in jeopardy after learning of John Miller's Slade's true motives). This was my introduction to both Chuck Jeffreys and Robin Shou, who plays Dragon Lee and has quite a stellar fight against Richard Yuen's Hiro (Jake's replacement as Slade's bodyguard). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to One Armed Boxer i saw Sword Master for the very 1. time.

 

It was an absolute pleasure. Till Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 1 and Hero i did not enjoy a ma-film that much. It is rly a masterpiece <33

Rly good story, rly good fighting scenes and no shit ending. Thats so rare !

Everyone who does  not know the film, GO WATCH IT !

Edited by BlueRain83

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2019 at 11:42 AM, ShaOW!linDude said:

The Bare-Footed Kid (1993)
Stars: Aaron Kwok, Ti Lung, Maggie Cheung, Jacklyn Wu
Dir: Johnny To
Action Choreographer: Lau Kar Leung aka Pops

I don't know why, but I thought you had seen this much more recently.

I watched this last night and enjoyed it. As most reviewers point out, the chemistry between Maggie Cheung and Ti Lung really makes this film. It's a good example of how to make subtle, unrequited emotions into something really compelling. I thought Aaron Kwok did better than some reviewers give him credit for, although I think his character, and the story itself, needed a bit more depth. At 83 minutes, there was room for a bit more character depth and lengthier fight scenes. The fighting on the whole was good, although I find it hard to believe that Lau Kar-Leung choreographed it. The kick-heavy fighting from Kwok and the wires feel more like something Yuen Tak and Corey Yuen would've done at the time, not a Southern stylist making a remake of Disciples of Shaolin, which he himself had also choreographed. I would've liked a slightly-more protracted finale and more chain whip action at the end, although the fights on the whole are solid and entertaining.

Edited by DrNgor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ip man. Respected kung fu master Ip Man(donnie yen) leads a peaceful life in fo shan with wife and son but has to fight when northern stylist kung fu expert(excellent Fan "ricky" Siu Wong) arrives to create trouble and they have great duel. To this point movie was really good. Then tone changes a lot, japanese raid town, ip man loses his fortune and is forced to work in coal factory for living. Japanese martial artists are looking for fighters, it`s very predictable from now on how things will be. Drama plays big role, but negative thing imo it`s not that well done. Fail to create  impact and interest vanished too. Very disappointing finale against japanese general, it`s no contest really.

~35 minutes from beginning it`s highly enjoyable flick then downhill. By no means bad but just not exciting or particularly interesting as too easy to guess what happens next, only surprise was to see Fan again later.

Donnie does fine in both acting and action but fault is in script. No revisit material, hopefully parts 2 and 3 in box set turn out to be better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2019 at 4:46 PM, DrNgor said:

I don't know why, but I thought you had seen this much more recently.

I watched this last night and enjoyed it. As most reviewers point out, the chemistry between Maggie Cheung and Ti Lung really makes this film. It's a good example of how to make subtle, unrequited emotions into something really compelling. I thought Aaron Kwok did better than some reviewers give him credit for, although I think his character, and the story itself, needed a bit more depth. At 83 minutes, there was room for a bit more character depth and lengthier fight scenes. The fighting on the whole was good, although I find it hard to believe that Lau Kar-Leung choreographed it. The kick-heavy fighting from Kwok and the wires feel more like something Yuen Tak and Corey Yuen would've done at the time, not a Southern stylist making a remake of Disciples of Shaolin, which he himself had also choreographed. I would've liked a slightly-more protracted finale and more chain whip action at the end, although the fights on the whole are solid and entertaining.

It wasn’t till many years after I first saw this that I found out it was choreographed by the pops,and like you it just didn’t seem like it was his style of choreography,like you say very kick heavy.Great film though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PROJECT A PART 2

Starring and directed by Jackie Chan

Having recently watched part 1 i gave part 2 another go.Very different style to the first,the direction is probably better but the fight scenes are more hit and run rather than a full blown Kung fu fight scenes(that’s not a bad thing just different)still enjoyed it and always wondered why there wasn’t a third.

CE403350-5C61-4D16-B1B4-AB28AC6989DA.jpeg

Edited by sym8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sym8 said:

still enjoyed it and always wondered why there wasn’t a third.

 

Maybe the success of the Police Story film's took most of Jackie Chan's filmaking attention?. Period films might be more costly too?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

 

Maybe the success of the Police Story film's took most of Jackie Chan's filmaking attention?. Period films might be more costly too?.

I think you may be right about the period film costing a lot to make but he did spend big on miracles and operation condor,I think maybe he just was more interested in doing something new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miracles

Directed and starring Jackie Chan 

Very long and at times boring but the direction is great and the fight choreography is pure genius.This for me in terms of fight choreography is one of his best when it comes to using props and the surroundings.His fight in a restaurant where tables chairs stairs and fans are all used to great effect is incredible to watch and the finale in the factory is a mixture of hit and run tactics,hard falls and jump rope,what’s not to like.Its a pity for a film that’s well over 2 hours long just doesn’t have enough of the great action.

0CA79E88-2F96-4AC4-BB3A-BC2DD72D4AEF.jpeg

Edited by sym8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ip man 2. After recovered from thins in 1st movie Ip Man resides in hong kong and again having financial troubles. Setting up a kung fu school is not easy, not only need to get students but also be accepted by other martial clubs. Easily arranged by fighting Lo Meng, Fung Hak On and Sammo Hung in excellent table contest which is best action scene of the movie...Sammo who at first appears could be baddie of movie is not that but man who defends honor of chinese kung fu against western boxer. Until that movie was quite unpredictable but then it becomes obvious..

Unfortunately Fan Siu Wong from 1st flick has very small role. IM2 is a good movie, improvement over 1st Ip Man. Sometimes I like Sammo sometimes not. But here he was terrific in non comedic role and excellent in fights.

Action is fine and story is too. Like 1st movie, imo this also perhaps not revisit stuff but it did purpose for spending bit under 2 hours nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Justice, my Foot! (1992) - I'm not a Stephen Chow fan--this is the fifth movie of his I've seen since my "conversion" to HK cinema in 1997. I saw this mainly because Tony Ching Siu-Tung's name was on the credits and I feel the need to watch every wire-fu film from the 1990s at some point. This one does have a few brief action bits, but it's mainly a comedy. The story involves a famous lawyer, Sung Sai-Kit (Stephen Chow), who is especially good at getting actual criminals off the hook, thanks to a combination of his fast-talking skills, bizarre logic, and an aged, almost-senile magistrate. However, his triumphs in court come with a karmic cost, and he has yet to have a son who has lived past the age of one. Finally, Sung is pressured by his wife (Anita Mui, who almost walks away with this movie) into retiring.

His retirement is short-lived: his wife meets a pregnant woman (a surprisingly irritating Carrie Ng) who' s on the lam after being accused of poisoning her husband. Sung's wife urges her husband to take up her case, despite his oath that his son would be born without a penis if he adjucated again, and the locals' misgivings that his reneging on his promise will negatively affect the village's feng shui. But this case will be especially difficult: there's a new magistrate (Ng Man-Tat) in town who won't put up with Sung's shenanigans, and the defendant's sister-in-law (Yuen King-Tan) has a brother-in-law (Leung Kar-Yan) who's also a Qing official. At some point, they even hire killers to try to take Sung out for good.

I found the film to be funny at times. The bit about sneaking into the room of two gay officials was funny, as is the love letter scene. Anita Mui and Stephen Chow have good chemistry together and help make the slower parts of the film more interesting. The action mainly consists of Anita Mui performing slow motion, wire-enhanced kicks, much like she does in The Heroic Trio. There's a big sword fight around the end of the second act, but it's not Dragon Inn or Butterfly and Sword quality stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drunken Master II - As far as kung fu movies go, this one maybe be true perfection. Almost, anyway. There’s a few moments of wonky comedy that don’t quite work but everything else is fantastic.

Of course, the film is all about the fight scenes and this, in my eyes, features Jackie’s finest work. That last fight is an absolutely masterpiece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That last fight is one of the best ever, Ken Lo ranks up there with Benny as Jackie's best opponent ever. That kicking style he did was something unique.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Once Upon a Time in China & America(1997) - Viewed a lot of movies recently, but just havent been taking any mental/written notes on them. Finally caught the only Jet Li movie in the series, I'd yet to sit through. Mixed bag all round, clearly a big missed opportunity for such a big budget H.K picture. It's not without some merit's though, producer Tsui Hark really injects his style into the series. Part 5 with Chiu Man-Chuk would go back to popular style of the early Jet Li installments. Had one single director handled the movie, I'm sure it woud have turned out much better. It often feels ike two different movies pieced together. Having five script writers on board, must have only added to this issue?.

Great to see Mars and Richard Ng, Lau Kar-Wing cameos, Rosamund Kwan is completely wasted and her character treated poorly through-out the runtime. With Wong Fei-Hung appears to be more like a friend to her, than a lover. While the rest of the male casts hormones go loopy everytime she's on-screen. Can this be called one of the last real Hong Kong movies in terms of its visual style?. Released the same year as Hong Kong was given back to China, makes it a watershed moment in the genre?. There's some fantastic bootwork among the OTT wire heavy physical enhancements. Wing Chun practitioner Joseph Sayah amkes for an odd ecentric looking villian. Only the Martial Artist has so little character developement. You care little for his epic super human showdown with Jet Li's hero. Sayah would go on to be cast in the Sammo hung directed Mr Guy. Before disapearing from the flm business.

 

 

Edited by DragonClaws

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2019 at 1:35 PM, DragonClaws said:

 

Once Upon a Time in China & America(1997) - Viewed a lot of movies recently, but just havent been taking any mental/written notes on them. Finally caught the only Jet Li movie in the series, I'd yet to sit through. Mixed bag all round, clearly a big missed opportunity for such a big budget H.K picture. It's not without some merit's though, producer Tsui Hark really injects his style into the series. Part 5 with Chiu Man-Chuk would go back to popular style of the early Jet Li installments. Had one single director handled the movie, I'm sure it woud have turned out much better. It often feels ike two different movies pieced together. Having five script writers on board, must have only added to this issue?.

Great to see Mars and Richard Ng, Lau Kar-Wing cameos, Rosamund Kwan is completely wasted and her character treated poorly thorugh the runtime.When Wong Fei-Hung appears to be more like a friend to her, than a lover. While the rest of the male casts hormones go loopy everytime she's on-screen. Can this be called one of the last real Hong Kong movies in terms of its visual style?. Released the same year as Hong Kong was given back to China, makes it a watershed moment in the genre?. There's some fantastic bootwork among the OTT wire heavy physical enhancements. Wing Chun practitioner Joseph Sayah amkes for an odd ecentric looking villian. Only the Martial Artist has so little character developement. You care little for his epic super human showdown with Jet Li's hero. Sayah would go on to be cast in the Sammo hung directed Mr Guy. Before disapearing from the flm business.

 

 

I enjoyed this when I saw this many moons ago,but I was always disappointed that Hung Yan Yan didn’t have a one on one with Roger Yuans character,still for me he has the best scene in the movie when he fights everyone in the saloon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ip man3. Gangsters led by Mike Tyson want to take over land of school for construction business, Ip Man`s wife has cancer and challenger claims Ip Man has no authentic wing chun and wants to fight him for title of master...And young bruce lee makes appearance. Non-action scenes drag while it would seem there is lot going on plotwise it`s not really case, lot focus is on drama.

Some of the action features donnie fighting thugs with barehanded or doublesticks. Usual stuff, nothing bad in those scenes but not exciting either.

Fight against tyson is decent one, probably more enjoyable than bouts vs twister in ip man2. Choreography may not be superior in #3 but got to love Iron Mike.

Duel against thaiboxer in elevator/stairs is also proper although it could have been better. Pity director/choreographer did not make them move even opponents as thai showed some great kicking skills.

Best of 3 bigger fights is saved for last as Ip Man meets his Challenger. Staff, unarmed and excellent butterfly swords sequences make good ending for flick.

Of trilogy in box set, liked part 2 most, sammo hung is main reason for that. Parts 1&3 are about equal. Too much (melo)drama in pt3 but can`t ignore quality of some action scenes...Going to check rest of Ip Man movies eventually.

 

Edited by Tex Killer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Tex Killer said:

ip man3. Gangsters led by Mike Tyson want to take over land of school for construction business, Ip Man`s wife has cancer and challenger claims Ip Man has no authentic wing chun and wants to fight him for title of master...And young bruce lee makes appearance. Non-action scenes drag while it would seem there is lot going on plotwise it`s not really case, lot focus is on drama.

Some of the action features donnie fighting thugs with barehanded or doublesticks. Usual stuff, nothing bad in those scenes but not exciting either.

Fight against tyson is decent one, probably more enjoyable than bouts vs twister in ip man2. Choreography may not be superior in #3 but got to love Iron Mike.

Duel against thaiboxer in elevator/stairs is also proper although it could have been better. Pity director/choreographer did not make them move even opponents as thai showed some great kicking skills.

Best of 3 bigger fights is saved for last as Ip Man meets his Challenger. Staff, unarmed and excellent butterfly swords sequences make good ending for flick.

Of trilogy in box set, liked part 2 most, sammo hung is main reason for that. Parts 1&3 are about equal. Too much (melo)drama in pt3 but can`t ignore quality of some action scenes...Going to check rest of Ip Man movies eventually.

 

Preferred this one to part 2.the wire assisted table fight was just not needed for me and spoiled the whole film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

King of the Kickboxers - I have to admit, I was expecting a lot more from this one. Most of its enjoyment comes from its relentless cheese and insane acting, not from the martial arts on display. The fights are alright, I suppose. The final bout between Loren Avedon and Billy Blanks being a highlight. But, all in all, not much to write home about. Certainly not better than the liked of No Retreat, No Surrender 3 or even Blood Moon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marked for Death - It’s been a while since I’ve watched a Seagal film so I was expecting garbage. Much to my surprise, I very much liked this film. I watched it for an episode of my podcast so I was giggling at it and making notes but, as an actual film, all humor put aside, I thought it was massively enjoyable. I even enjoyed the fight scenes! They were unconventional and I felt like they showed off Aikido really well.

I never thought I’d say this but this made me want to watch more Seagal films. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×