I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

blue_skies

What was the last modern martial-arts film you watched?

14 minutes ago, sym8 said:

Drive-Steve Wang-1997

Having not long seen John Wick 3 I decided to dust off my dvd of this classic,and it’s still as enjoyable today as it was when I first saw it.Mark Dacascos never looked this good ever(well not until John Wick)he has all the moves and with Koichi Sakamoto and his team doing the choreography we are blessed with some great set pieces.If you haven’t already seen this it’s a must and the dvd has some great extras.👍👍👍👍

6AC06D90-9E7F-4DF8-AD7A-9BFF9C3FF007.jpeg

I watched this last week (for those without the DVD, it's on Amazon's Prime Video) and absolutely loved it. The action is way better than I remembered and, you're right, I don't think Dacascos has ever looked better.

Time for some New-School action, with this indiependent Vincent Sze actioner.

Those Kung Fu Fandom followers/contributors who are interested in my latest ramble. Please click on the link below for my UNCUT write-up.

MV5BNDkxNTU4MzY2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDU3

Edited by DragonClaws

Hmm...I think it counts:

1- "Brotherhood of the Wolf" (2001) It started off so cool, with the guys in the long cloaks kicking ass and stories of a wolf monster. And then the cloaks disappear, and the movie goes completely bonkers. Really disappointing. Some of the fights were pretty good. Which was the only thing that kept me watching to the end. But buying a movie because the clothing on the cover reminded you of "Bloodborne" was probably a recipe for disaster to begin with. lol

15 hours ago, DarthKato said:

Hmm...I think it counts:

1- "Brotherhood of the Wolf" (2001) It started off so cool, with the guys in the long cloaks kicking ass and stories of a wolf monster. And then the cloaks disappear, and the movie goes completely bonkers. Really disappointing. Some of the fights were pretty good. Which was the only thing that kept me watching to the end. But buying a movie because the clothing on the cover reminded you of "Bloodborne" was probably a recipe for disaster to begin with. lol

I can think of two pretty good reasons to watch it...

0b0116ecba74a5ad8731411a5c501d05.jpg

17 hours ago, DarthKato said:

Hmm...I think it counts:

Dude, revisit that movie at some point without the preconceptions you had initially. It's not meant to be an MA movie. Still, I find it to be very unique. To me, that is one of Mark Dacascos' best film roles. Me and the wife got to see that on the big screen when it first came out and had a limited Stateside run. I'd only read a small blurb about it in Entertainment Weekly at the time. She had no idea what I was taking her to see. I told her to trust me. She loved it.

23 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I can think of two pretty good reasons to watch it...

0b0116ecba74a5ad8731411a5c501d05.jpg

Yeah, that defiantly was a plus. lol

21 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

Dude, revisit that movie at some point without the preconceptions you had initially. It's not meant to be an MA movie. Still, I find it to be very unique. To me, that is one of Mark Dacascos' best film roles. Me and the wife got to see that on the big screen when it first came out and had a limited Stateside run. I'd only read a small blurb about it in Entertainment Weekly at the time. She had no idea what I was taking her to see. I told her to trust me. She loved it.

I'll do that bud. I kind of figured that I was expecting the wrong kind of movie. 

I delved deep into the murky depths of B-movie hell, to write this review for all the Kung Fu Fandom reader's out there.

Click on the same old link, for my UNCUT shuriken shoe themed write-up.

The shuriken shoe, coming to a major sports store new you.

MV5BZmIwMTE5MzMtNzczMS00YjRiLTkwMDYtY2Ez

Edited by DragonClaws

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

The shuriken shoe, coming to a major sports store new you.

MV5BZmIwMTE5MzMtNzczMS00YjRiLTkwMDYtY2Ez

But does the movie tell us how many times Andy Bauman won the title of "World Karate Kickboxing Champion" ?

On 6/9/2019 at 7:50 PM, Secret Executioner said:

But does the movie tell us how many times Andy Bauman won the title of "World Karate Kickboxing Champion" ?

Sadly not, his opponents must have had their hands tied by behind their backs. Either that, or they were heavily sedated. Like I said in the review, is that even a fighting style?. There's been a lot of fictional styles ,created for so called teachers/masters of the fighting arts. In order to con the public and make some quick money.

Edited by DragonClaws

Kung Fu Wonder Child (Hong Kong, 1986) dvd 3/5

The best thing about this comedy/supernatural/wuxia is of course Yukari Oshima - this is one of her earliest Hong Kong roles (actually Taiwan) - and she's just as entertaining here as she would be throughout her career (though not as colorful a character).

It has to do with her trying to find her father, and there's a bunch of other characters - some trying to help her - and others trying to keep secret a Super Powerful Wizard and his shenanigans. The special effects are cheesy but fun - it's like a cartoon come to life - with people flying around, ghosts, vampires, etc. If I had seen this as a kid, I'd have probably loved it, though as an adult it's all pretty amateurish and goofy.

Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 6.29.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 7.56.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 8.03.29 AM.png

On 6/9/2019 at 3:01 PM, DragonClaws said:

Sadly not, his opponents must have had their hands tied by behind their backs. Either ta=hat, or they were heavily sedated. Like I said in the review, is that even a fighting style?. There's been a lot of fictional styles ,created for so called teachers/masters of the fighting arts. In order to con the public and make some quick money.

I saw this so-called "fight" between Bauman and Carel Struycken, who would later play Lurch in the 90's Addams Family movie and I laughed my butt off. How come this was not on Mystery Science Theater 3000? LOL

2 hours ago, AlbertV said:

I saw this so-called "fight" between Bauman and Carel Struycken, who would later play Lurch in the 90's Addams Family movie and I laughed my butt off. How come this was not on Mystery Science Theater 3000? LOL

If thats not bad enough, you should see the re-match later in the movie.

Re-watched this late 80's Richard Norton indie-actioner. Kung Fu Fandom reader's/contributor's, can read my complete write-up, by clicking on the link below, thank-you.

MV5BYjNiNzVkOTItZWJkMy00NmRhLWFkOTMtMDE3

Edited by DragonClaws

The Blacksheep Affair (1998)

Probably the greatest achievement of Hong Kong Legends was giving the impression with their awesome music promo that this was the best damn HK movie ever. I mean, just take a look!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb6XOCOmXjA

But, other than the pretty damn good action scenes, this is very lame. Weak melodrama, pathetic attempts to create an international flavour result in an Eastern European setting where everyone speakings bad pidgin English, poor Shu Qi being utterly wasted, and a straight-to-video vibe that makes the whole things seem cheap and knocked off. Also contains a truly atrocious VFX moment where bad animated flames appear in front of obviously unharmed real life buildings. What happened to the art of scale models and stock footage?

Very symbolic of the colapse of HK moviemaking in the wake of the handover.

Oh well...

Yet more kickboxing themed ramblings, in my latest review for Kung Fu Fandom Forum reader's/contributor's.

b2f6a98514c1909fada309bcd96eb92b.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws

On 6/17/2019 at 3:21 AM, Killer Meteor said:

But, other than the pretty damn good action scenes, this is very lame. Weak melodrama, pathetic attempts to create an international flavour result in an Eastern European setting where everyone speakings bad pidgin English, poor Shu Qi being utterly wasted, and a straight-to-video vibe that makes the whole things seem cheap and knocked off. Also contains a truly atrocious VFX moment where bad animated flames appear in front of obviously unharmed real life buildings. What happened to the art of scale models and stock footage?

This is still one of my favorite HK Action films from the second half of the 90s. So shoot me. :)

2002 (Hong Kong, 2001: Wilson Yip) - Four years before SPL, Wilson Yip did this quirky concoction of genres. Your regular HK Cinephile might describe this as "Magic Cop by way of Gen-X Cops", while Western viewers might consider this to be an amalgamation of The Ghostbusters; Men in Black; and The Matrix. The premise is that the Hong Kong Police Department has a special "2002" division, manned by Inspector Yau (Nicolas Tse), whose specialty is taking on harmful spirits and demons. His partner is a ghost, played by Sam Lee. When Sam Lee takes the reincarnation train, Yau selects a regular traffic cop (Stephen Fung) as his partner. Their partnership is hindered by the fact that Yau was born under a death star, in the sense that anybody who gets close to him is doomed to a horrible fate. When Fung gets drawn to a female coma patient (Rain Li) at the request of her grandmother's spirit, Yau has even more misgivings about his place in the world. And then there's a water spirit who's upset that the 2002 officers killed his fire spirit girlfriend (Anya, of Naked Weapon).

2002 was certainly an interesting movie. The acting is pretty good and the story is certainly different. Much like Chinese Heroes, I wish Wilson Yip had given more attention to the external conflict instead of the romantic subplot involving Yau and a nurse (model Danielle Graham) and stuff like that. On one hand, it's nice to see an action movie that doesn't involve a WORLD-ENDING EVENT, but if the villain is a powerful ghost, I'd hope to feel at least a bit intimidated by him. There are a handful of fight scenes, courtesy of Poon Kin-Kwan (Wong Kar-Wai's Fallen Angels and Stephen Chow's God of Cookery). Nicolas Tse shows off some decent moves and you can see what Wilson and Donnie had seen in him while casting Dragon Tiger Gate. There's a lot of wire-work, considering that ghosts are involved, and Sam Lee's opening fight with a Hateful Ghost is sped-up for comic effect. I just wish there had been more, or at least longer, fight scenes.

Guardian Angel (1994): I re-watched as this is currently on TubiTV and my 9-year daughter wanted to see because she has become a Cynthia Rothrock fan after seeing The Martial Arts Kid. This was Rothrock's only film for PM Entertainment and has College Kickboxers' Ken McLeod as a sexist officer who thinks Rothrock isn't fit enough to be the bodyguard of a rich playboy. Said playboy who is targeted by his ex-girlfriend, who just happens to be the same person who killed Rothrock's partner/fiancee, played by Marshall Teague, who is given a chance in one fight scene and does quite well here for what he's given before his fate is sealed. The PM tropes are there (slow-motion impact, double/triple takes), good 90's B-movie style action. Enjoyed this one and so did my daughter. 

Edited by AlbertV

On 6/9/2019 at 3:01 PM, DragonClaws said:

Sadly not, his opponents must have had their hands tied by behind their backs. Either that, or they were heavily sedated. Like I said in the review, is that even a fighting style?. There's been a lot of fictional styles ,created for so called teachers/masters of the fighting arts. In order to con the public and make some quick money.

Some distributors like to "hype" potential actors as martial arts champions even when there's no record of sorts. Case in point:

Blackbelt+2+-+Fatal+Force.jpg

The film was actually a cut-and-paste concept, taking the 1988 film titled Spyder and adding new footage and star Blake Bahner is not even a martial artist, let alone a world kickboxing champion. 

819G22WesHL._SY445_.jpg

Another one would be Angel Fist, a gender reversal remake of Bloodfist, in which the late Catya Sassoon was marketed as a WKA North American Champion. She may have learned martial arts for films, but she was never a champion as far as I remember. And if memory serves me correctly, they took Cat's look from Bloodfist IV for the cover (jeez!)

Edited by AlbertV

Cop on a Mission (Hong Kong, 2001: Marcos Mak) - Daniel Wu plays a violence-prone beat cop who becomes an undercover agent working for a powerful Triad boss (Eric Tsang). He starts moving up the ranks, and soon finds himself questioning both his ethics and his mission. He ends up making compromising decisions--sleeping with the boss's wife, killing important people--that will come back to haunt him at the end. This would make for an interesting conceptual trilogy beside Infernal Affairs (also featuring Eric Tsang as a Triad boss) and Protégé (also featuring Daniel Wu as an undercover cop destined for a tragic end, albeit of a different sort). 

Let me get this out of the way: I'm pretty sure I didn't need to see so much of Daniel Wu's bare butt, nor did I need to see him masturbating in a shower. Okay, got that off my chest.

Unlike the aforementioned Infernal Affairs and Protégé, both of which got nominated for Best Action Choreography, despite their notable paucity of both "action" and "choreoraphy", this has a few brief action segments in the first half, courtesy of Ma Yuk-Sing (Bichunmoo and The Shadowless Sword, in addition to numerous films alongside Ching Siu-Tung). There are two blood-spattering shoot-outs: one in the beginning where a trio of hoods (including Lam Suet in a cameo) try to rob some Triads, and one that marks the midpoint of the film, where Wu and his men rescue the boss's wife from a Triad in Macau. There's also a Triad melee with choppers early on; Ma Yuk-Sing's extensive experience with both wuxia and his mentor's balletic swordplay choreography makes him a sure fit for a chaotic flurry of machete attacks. 

Royal Warriors-(UK title Police Assassins)1986

Michelle Yeoh,Micheal Wong, Hiroyuki Sanada

Great Hong Kong action thriller.Whats different with this from your average Hong Kong action fair is the fact that after the good guys foil a hijacking they then become the hunted by the friends of the hijackers who earlier took a vow to live together and die together.A very young Michelle and A classy Hiroyuki Sanda pull of some great fights choreographed by Meng Hoi and there’s also a great car chase which I think was done by Blackie Ko.Great entertainment from start to finish well worth a watch.👍👍👍 

90F0CE45-FE68-4963-92A0-5E5FE510A0C5.jpeg

375B487E-FDB4-4536-BFF2-7A789C83872A.jpeg