I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

blue_skies

What was the last modern martial-arts film you watched?

Re-visited Road House during my last day of being out sick for 10 days. Still love this 80's cult classic with Patrick Swayze as bouncer Dalton who runs afoul of hotshot Ben Gazarra and his goons when he cleans up the local bar. Benny "The Jet" Urquidez trained Swayze for the film and it still surprises me to this day that Urquidez thought Swayze could have had a shot at being a pro kickboxer. The fight between Swayze and Marshall Teague is still exciting to watch and Sam Elliott as Wade Garrett? Nuff said!

Rapid Fire

The late Brandon Lee stars in this actioner from the early 90's ,it's quite sobering knowing subsequent events to note the film's title and the amount of times Lee's character dodges bullets here. His character witnesses a drug baron executing another criminal so they set out to silence him. He escapes but ends up in the hands of corrupt FBI agents before hooking up with honest cops Powers Boothe & Kate Hodge. Not bad, no fights really stand out but it's clear Brandon had charisma & big potential. The new german blu ray is much cheaper than the Twilight Time one but there are no english subs for the short bits of foreign dialogue.

Queens High-Cynthia Khan.

With fight choreography by J.C stunt team members Nicky Li and Rocky Lai you would expect some good stuff,and we do but only at the finale,the rest of it is just slow and ponderous.By all means watch it but if I was you just skip to the finale we’re you get Cynthia,Billy Chow some blonde bad ass women go at it.(there’s also this guy dressed in white who catches Cynthia straight in the face with a kick,ouch)

41 minutes ago, saltysam said:

Not bad, no fights really stand out but it's clear Brandon had charisma & big potential.

I dig all the action sequences in this. For me, the standout fight would be Lee and Al Leong in the laundry area. The exchanges are good, but I love when Brandon switches into "old school" mode and resorts to Wing Chun-based fighting. 

Edited by ShaOW!linDude

2 hours ago, ShaOW!linDude said:

For me, the standout fight would be Lee and Al Leong in the laundry area. The exchanges are good, but I love when Brandon switches into "old school" mode and resorts to Wing Chun-based fighting. 

I'm with @ShaOW!linDude, that penultimate one-on-one is an American classic.

3 hours ago, sym8 said:

some blonde bad ass women go at it

That's Kim Maree Penn. She had a great swordfight with Cynthia in In the Line of Duty V: Middle Man, and has a standout performance in the 1997 classic The Death Games.

16 hours ago, sym8 said:

Queens High-Cynthia Khan.

...some blonde bad ass women go at it.

@DrNgor, Kim Maree Penn is in this? Now I have to see it. Probably gonna be a bugger to run down.

Edited by ShaOW!linDude

13 hours ago, DrNgor said:

That's Kim Maree Penn. She had a great swordfight with Cynthia in In the Line of Duty V: Middle Man, and has a standout performance in the 1997 classic The Death Games.

I don't think it's Kim Marie Penn,just been on hkmdb and they list her as Christiane Duhler.

They look very similar though

8 minutes ago, sym8 said:

I don't think it's Kim Marie Penn,just been on hkmdb and they list her as Christiane Duhler.

Kim Maree Penn took on Cynthia Khan in Middle Man, but yeah, the one in Queen's High is Christiane Duhler, who is originally from Germany. She was also in The Good, the Bad, and the Bandit and Midnight Man

Edited by AlbertV

1 hour ago, sym8 said:

Do you still want to see it, @ShaOW!linDude?

martial law. Unfortunately movie has too many flaws...carradine as villain, 1st half is bit of slowburner tho has some action but worst of all Benny The Jet is massively underused, just very short(but good) fight with cynthia rothrock. Many familiar faces on thugs who could have done more(one I am pretty sure was on excellent richard nortons Iron Fist- Under the gun).

It`s not bad movie but flicks like perfect weapon, bloodsport, best of the best etc. And even mission of justice which is on same br compilation are better.

2.5/5

On 4/7/2019 at 2:26 PM, saltysam said:

Rapid Fire

The late Brandon Lee stars in this actioner from the early 90's ,it's quite sobering knowing subsequent events to note the film's title and the amount of times Lee's character dodges bullets here. His character witnesses a drug baron executing another criminal so they set out to silence him. He escapes but ends up in the hands of corrupt FBI agents before hooking up with honest cops Powers Boothe & Kate Hodge. Not bad, no fights really stand out but it's clear Brandon had charisma & big potential. The new german blu ray is much cheaper than the Twilight Time one but there are no english subs for the short bits of foreign dialogue.

I'll have to look into the German disc. I have the twilight, love it. 

On 8/13/2018 at 11:11 AM, PaiLum said:

Watched The 36th Chamber of Shaolin last night. Such a wonderful flick! I love all the training sequences and the thought process of when he's trying to pick a weapon to battle for his promotion.  Getting my 14yo daughter into these movies as well.  

One of the greats for sure. Could pop it in anytime and never get bored. The sequels on the other hand. I might be the minority but I'm always adrift asleep when I try to watch the sequels. 

1 hour ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

One of the greats for sure. Could pop it in anytime and never get bored. The sequels on the other hand. I might be the minority but I'm always adrift asleep when I try to watch the sequels. 

Agreed. I do not not exactly fall asleep on sequels but definitely far weaker than 1st. On 2nd wang lung wei as very cool villain saves a lot, 3rd is just...well can watch it but not much to praising it.

Part 2 suffers that it takes long time before liu chia hui actually fights, those fakings do not count.

PaiLum obviously posted this in wront section mods may remove it.

According to the KFF search engine, Chung Siu-Tung's 1994 modern-day wuxia 'Wonder Seven' has never received a single mention...how is that even possible!?  Well, time to remedy that.  I recently checked it out, and gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

http://cityonfire.com/wonder-seven-1994-review/

3 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

According to the KFF search engine, Chung Siu-Tung's 1994 modern-day wuxia 'Wonder Seven' has never received a single mention...how is that even possible!?  Well, time to remedy that.  I recently checked it out, and gave it the full review treatment over at COF - 

http://cityonfire.com/wonder-seven-1994-review/

But...but...but...

Tiger on the beat 2. Quite bad movie, must be well over decace since watched it last time before yesterday and although had forgotten most of movie there was feeling on back of the head has to be reason why did not revisit.

Not fan of danny lee but he is not one to blame movie quite much sucks. It`s the plot of girl stealing ring and thugs after her. Good action would of course save that but there is far too much dragging and slapstick in first 70 minutes.

Last 20 minutes are action packed but unfortunately Conan Lee does not have really skilled enemy, Conan is great martial artists and displays he can really move well. Still those last minutes saves little bit so movie is not complete failure but stick with part 1.

Martial law 2. Easily better than part 1 and Cynthia had more action. Plot about investigation death of an police officer also felt tad more interesting than story in first movie.

Really enjoyed this. so overall german br box set was not bad purchase at all.

😀

Master Z by Yuen Wo Ping, highly disappointing. It sounds that Wo Ping & Zhang Jin just put their names to make a few bucks, garbage goofy movie.

Edited by Rodolphe Dux