blue_skies

What was the last modern martial-arts film you watched?

lionheart. Hard to choose fav van damme movie, I have loved this since saw it in cinema some 20 years ago. On the other hand, "sudden death" is his ultimate action flick.

Story of man earning money for widow of his brother by fighting is good one, and director manages to put some emotion into it.It`s not always case in movies like this. One such great moment is when one of legionnaires who came to take damme back to africa starts to cheer him in end fight.

Nice music too, pity UK 101 films is r-rated version. I might eventually get german bluray:devil

7 hours ago, Tex Killer said:

Nice music too, pity UK 101 films is r-rated version.

What did the MPAA remove from this one for the R-Rating?, I wasn't aware it was ever cut by them. One of my favorite Van Damme movies, one of those titles I've still yet to up-grade to DVD or Blu-Ray.

Recently picked up Sword Of Bushido on DVD and re-watched it over the weekend. Those interested, can check out my ramblings by clicking on the link below.

34.jpg

9 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

What did the MPAA remove from this one for the R-Rating?, I wasn't aware it was ever cut by them. One of my favorite Van Damme movies, one of those titles I've still yet to up-grade to DVD or Blu-Ray.

I do not know details(and do not want to find out now as going likely to get another br) but international version in german bluray is several minutes longer...While 101 disc is very barebones release it´s still despite shorter version not bad choice for upgrade if comes across for decent price. PQ is great.

Edit:could not resist but searched what is different  http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=2895

Edited by Tex Killer

Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon - Unfortunately, I've never been a fan of Karl Maka. He's always come across as a slightly less irritating version of Dean Shek to me. So, an entire 90 minute film of him was never going to have me singing its praises.
The plot is pretty flimsy and merely acts as a segue between Sammo and Maka's high jinks...that usually involve boob grabbing in some form or another. This film is very lady focused as "Baldy" and "Fatty" are not only two CID cops but two big ol' perverts too. It's eye rollingly droll each time each time a new lady steps into a scene only to end up the victim of the pair's perversions.
However, the film does house some phenomenal fight scene. Sammo is great here, doing his best Bruce Lee impersonation. There's a fight towards the end where Sammo and Lau Kar Wing (the film's director) go at each other wielding twin knives and it's mind blowing. The choreography is so crisp. I do wish the film was a little more action focused but the fights we do see are definitely a plus.
Far from the best Sammo film, but it has enough pleasing moments not to be totally dull. Comedy aside, this one is worth a watch.

On 01/02/2017 at 4:08 PM, Drunken Monk said:

Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon - Unfortunately, I've never been a fan of Karl Maka. He's always come across as a slightly less irritating version of Dean Shek to me. So, an entire 90 minute film of him was never going to have me singing its praises.
The plot is pretty flimsy and merely acts as a segue between Sammo and Maka's high jinks...that usually involve boob grabbing in some form or another. This film is very lady focused as "Baldy" and "Fatty" are not only two CID cops but two big ol' perverts too. It's eye rollingly droll each time each time a new lady steps into a scene only to end up the victim of the pair's perversions.
However, the film does house some phenomenal fight scene. Sammo is great here, doing his best Bruce Lee impersonation. There's a fight towards the end where Sammo and Lau Kar Wing (the film's director) go at each other wielding twin knives and it's mind blowing. The choreography is so crisp. I do wish the film was a little more action focused but the fights we do see are definitely a plus.
Far from the best Sammo film, but it has enough pleasing moments not to be totally dull. Comedy aside, this one is worth a watch.

I agree with the Karl Maka thing he is annoying but like you the fights are amazing.I have two versions of this movie one being just under 100 mins which has more fight action( think it's the Taiwanese version)the ending has a longer fight with Sammo and Mark Houghton.I think there is more action in the movie but can't quite remember what or where in the movie it is as it's been a while since Ive seen itbut I do remember watching it and thinking god this has loads of fights so maybe you should try and get that version you won't be disappointed ?

17 hours ago, massa_yoda said:

I had no idea there were two versions of Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon!  Good movie, I should give it a rewatch.

I didn't know this either until years later. Fortunately I have the version containing the Sammo/Houghton fight. It's not real long, but it's really good. Yeah, Karl Maka...meh. I don't remember the film being pervy regarding every woman who shows up. One of my favorite fights in this is Sammo taking on the 2 Thai hitwomen in an alley. That is an absolutely brutal fight.

Never Back Down 2 (2011) - That was certainly better than the first one, which was essentially The Karate Kid with some lesbian make-out scenes thrown in for good measure. While this one has its share of exploitive elements, it has a better cast, characters who are more well developed, and probably better overall fighting. I liked how each character, even the main villain, is given a background and some inner demons to deal with. One guy has anger issues because of the breakdown of his own family; another has financial issues and the sting of his mother working at a strip joint to make ends meet; one's an unrepetant womanizer, but is also dealing with the reality that his next fight may leave him blind; and one is a picked-upon dork who simply doesn't know how to deal with the new power he has.Heck, even Evan Peters's sleazy promotor archetype has an extra layer or two and some redeeming qualities. Michael Jai White is great and far more convincing than Djimon Hounsou, and his fight against the racist cops is really good (if a little unnecessary). In the end, an entertaining American martial arts movie.

On 18/02/2017 at 5:37 PM, DrNgor said:

Never Back Down 2 (2011) - That was certainly better than the first one, which was essentially The Karate Kid with some lesbian make-out scenes thrown in for good measure. While this one has its share of exploitive elements, it has a better cast, characters who are more well developed, and probably better overall fighting. I liked how each character, even the main villain, is given a background and some inner demons to deal with. One guy has anger issues because of the breakdown of his own family; another has financial issues and the sting of his mother working at a strip joint to make ends meet; one's an unrepetant womanizer, but is also dealing with the reality that his next fight may leave him blind; and one is a picked-upon dork who simply doesn't know how to deal with the new power he has.Heck, even Evan Peters's sleazy promotor archetype has an extra layer or two and some redeeming qualities. Michael Jai White is great and far more convincing than Djimon Hounsou, and his fight against the racist cops is really good (if a little unnecessary). In the end, an entertaining American martial arts movie.

Enjoyed this movie a lot, never got round to writing anything up about it on here though. Agree with your comments on the sequel Doc, yet to see the first film.

Fight the Fight

A movie that clearly has a bunch of dub work done, and the fights aren't the greatest. Sammo Hung can't even save this movie about him owning a fighting school that a big corporation wants to take over and make into what they feel is a modern martial arts school. Editing is pretty quickly done at times and a lot of the movie feels rushed. Some of the fights towards the end in the competition are done nicely though. I just can't recommend this one sadly. 

Re-watched Extreme Dragon starring Hector Chavarria and Michel Qissi, anyone interested in my thoughts/ramblings can click on the link below, thanks.

41F4PJQTEZL._SY445_.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws

I watched Shanghai Express the other day. Fights were superb and it was great to see so many HK stars on one film. With that said I thought it was just "pretty good" overall. I prefer the other Sammo films I've seen from around that time.

On 01/02/2017 at 4:08 PM, Drunken Monk said:

I was very disappointed in this one after Enter the Fat Dragon which in the past I often considered it the best 'Bruceploitation'  but I might give it another try soon.

8 hours ago, paimeifist said:

I watched Shanghai Express the other day. Fights were superb and it was great to see so many HK stars on one film. With that said I thought it was just "pretty good" overall. I prefer the other Sammo films I've seen from around that time.

I think I've watched this one about 5 times. I managed to get both my mum and dad to watch this one under the context this ones like a western. IIRC this was the first movie I watched in 2009. Yeah it's great to see all those familiar faces. This is another I might watch soon. 

Skiptrace

Not the worst Jackie has done, just average. It had me laughing at times so it did it's job. The fights didn't impress, but they did decently. I did like the chase through the mud festival though. Not one I will buy but will probably watch again at some point in the future.

eastern condors. Bit borrowing from 12 dozen and some vietnam flicks, and have to say I am not hugest fan of yuen biao or samo hung. Still this is among best modern day hk action flicks, storyline is nothing to talk about tho not bad. But action scenes is top notch. Lot great slow motions and fantastics kicks even as yuen biao do not show lot of his best stuff still he delivers.... Funtastic finale at basement, save a little dire comedy(there is not much of it tho) this is movie I am gonna show to some friends  who are not much into hong kong cinema...

Besides finaly my fac scéne is where our good guys take out vietnam guys silently..Benji jump yuen biao style :D

Bangkok knockout,not the best story or direction(a bit confusing in places)but the action is quality and relentless,if you like fight choreography with big hits and bodies hitting the floor then check it out?

Edited by sym8
Wrong title

Funny, Bangkok Adrenaline was the last for me, I'm into Thai martial arts now, watching stuff that I've missed before. It was discussed a lot here, and I'm one of those who really enjoyed the movie, despite the fact that other than action, everything else is awful. Tonight I'll be watching Kill 'em All, I understand it's not as good, but I'm gonna check it out anyway.

6 hours ago, sym8 said:

Bangkok dangerous,not the best story or direction(a bit confusing in places)but the action is quality and relentless,if you like fight choreography with big hits and bodies hitting the floor then check it out?

I think you've most likely mixed up the title here (I'll place my bets on you either meaning 'Bangkok Knockout' or 'Bangkok Adrenaline').  'Bangkok Dangerous' was the debut of brothers Danny and Oxide Pang, from 2000, about a deaf hitman.

8 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

I think you've most likely mixed up the title here (I'll place my bets on you either meaning 'Bangkok Knockout' or 'Bangkok Adrenaline').  'Bangkok Dangerous' was the debut of brothers Danny and Oxide Pang, from 2000, about a deaf hitman.

And later remade into a Nicholas Cage movie.

13 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Tonight I'll be watching Kill 'em All, I understand it's not as good, but I'm gonna check it out anyway.

The one with Tim Man? I really dug that movie. I think you will, too.

I watched Heart of Dragon for the first time on Saturday. I knew it wasn't going to be action heavy but I thought it was a pretty good film, all in all. Jackie's portrayal of the conflicted brother struggling between making a life for himself and looking after his sibling is really quite excellent. It's nice to see Jackie flexing his drama chops so early on in his career.
Granted, Sammo's role is a bit cliched and really doesn't deserve a ton of praise but he certainly has his emotional moments in the film. Hats off to both leads. One of the most shocking things about the film is the on screen talent. There are so many icons of martial arts cinema in this one and yet the action is so sparse. It made me crave an extra fight scene or two.
When the action does kick off, it's, of course, quality stuff. Some of the exchanges between Jackie and Dick Wei are just jaw dropping. But still, with people like Yuen Wah, Chung Fat, Chin Ka Lok, Mang Hoi and Phillip Ko Fei on board, I did expect just a little more. It's an enjoyable film but the cast is painfully underused in the action department.

On 2/19/2017 at 2:25 PM, DragonClaws said:

Enjoyed this movie a lot, never got round to writing anything up about it on here though. Agree with your comments on the sequel Doc, yet to see the first film.

I did too. And you do know that Evan Peters was playing the same character from the original film. :) I even liked the recent installment, Never Back Down: No Surrender.

41 minutes ago, AlbertV said:

I did too. And you do know that Evan Peters was playing the same character from the original film.

I skipped the first movie for now, as so many people on the forum told me the sequels were much better. As a Wesley Snipes fan, I will get round to seeing the first movie at some point.

Just now, DragonClaws said:

I skipped the first movie for now, as so many people on the forum told me the sequels were much better. As a Wesley Snipes fan, I will get round to seeing the first movie at some point.

As Doc said, the first was basically MMA's answer to The Karate Kid, but Djimon Hounsou's mentor character made the film watchable. He's already trained in martial arts (karate and kung fu), but for this film, he trained in grappling under martial arts legend Erik Paulson. I saw it on a BTS featurette of the film.