blue_skies

What was the last modern martial-arts film you watched?

BLOODSPORT 3. Way worse than I remember from my last viewing @ the late 90's. Bernhardt has some good action in the kumite sequences, otherwise poor movie.

THE STORM WARRIORS - finally got to see the entire film. Action was good until they OD'ed on the slow motion and there wasn't as much character development and plot like its predecessor, THE STORM RIDERS.

Rescue => Training to stop evil warlord => Cloud trains from Nameless, Wind from Wicked in Evil Style => Big Fight scene => Cloud must stop Evil Wind

That pretty much describes STORM WARRIORS...it was as if during principle shooting the Pang Bros. just wanted to get it over with.

Geisha's Vs Ninjas AKA Geisha Assassin, average fair Japanese movie some of the action was a little over the top, quite a few of the fights were actually not to bad, the ending let the movie down really.

House of Traps - Rare Shaw movie that was remastered pretty good story behind the whole film and have been meaning to watch it for a long long time, wasnt let down in the slightest, i really do love a good shaw brothers movie sometimes, and this didnt let me down at all loads of good action and a House full of traps, although they are not as amazing how it sounds was a good movie :)

Wheels on Meals – I have been wanting to watch this again for a long time and it was better than I remembered. I enjoyed the comedy and silliness this time much more than previous viewings, Which no doubt increased my viewing pleasure. Plus I was quite surprised the English dub was actually rather watchable seeing this on YouTube. Watching this movie made me wish that Jackie had made more movies with Sammo and Yuen Biao, Than they actually made together.

universal soldier regeneration – I know others like this film but I felt it was pretty mediocre. Nothing grabbed my attention from an action point of view. Nothing particularly fascinating from a story point of view. Nothing that made me give a crap about anybody in the movie. Perhaps fans of the universal soldier franchise will appreciate it more?

The Master (Jet Li) - I know this got terrible reviews and many don't like it but i've seen it dozens of times and I love it.

you're not the only one who really liked this movie. While it has its flaws I've always been extremely partial to Jet Li in more grounded martial arts performances and while it's no fist of legend, nor kiss of the Dragon . I've always found it an extremely entertaining movie.:tongue:

Magic crystal – a very fun action adventure movie. Andy Lau puts in a very solid martial arts performance but the show is completely stolen by Cynthia Rothrock and Richard Norton, who are both superb in this movie. Some funny moments, some silly moments but there cannot be any doubt who the real stars are. Norton in particular really excelling himself in the role as the villain, even when not performing any martial arts… Or just a tiny bit.

ONG BAK 2 (blu-ray)...The film looks amazing in blu-ray and anybody that says there is no difference between blu-ray and dvd are either blind, have shitty equipment, or just plain hatin.

To be fair there are far more factors like the size of your TV and quality of the DVD versus Blu-ray discs (i.e. good DVD and bad Blu-ray).also if you have a cheap and nasty DVD player using the bog standard composite cable (yellow red and white)that comes with it, then upgrade to Blu-ray the differences can be far more noticeable. Than say somebody with a half decent DVD player with a quality component lead or HDMI cable. There's also the quality of your TV at standard definition level, that can make the jump to HD scene that much greater. I'm not saying Blu-ray isn't better, all I'm saying is the difference isn't necessarily huge on a good DVD set up compared to Blu-ray especially on a smaller screen. out of curiosity how big is your screen?

...The film looks amazing in blu-ray and anybody that says there is no difference between blu-ray and dvd are either blind, have shitty equipment, or just plain hatin

Agreed. Although BR is not necessarily essential to every film, the differences can be miles from once source to another.I have the Ed Norton film Red Dragon (Hannibal Lecter story) on DVD, and the video is simply gorgeous.

I won't up grade this to BR, however, My Lord of The Rings (EE), cannot compare with one another, even though the DVD's of these are great. The blu's are in another class.

That's why I cannot wait for Star Wars: The Complete Saga then I can die.

:nerd:

. Another thing I can notice too is the sound is better.

do you mean through the TV or through a sound system? While it's been a few years since I had a proper 5.1 setup, the DTS sound on some DVDs was simply stunning.

Dudes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I watched a 2009 documentary I dvr'ed, like, some time last year on 1 of the History Channels. It is titled Samurai and narrated by Mark Dacascos.

The documentary is a biography of Miyamoto Musashi. What's so cool about it is that MD travels to Japan to personally visit the historical sites of some of Musashi's duels/battles. I never realized that some of these places have become dedicated memorials and landmarks. He also visits a kendo school descended from Musashi's sword style.

This is one of the best bio-doc's I've seen in a long time. I've looked around a bit but I'm not finding a dvd of it anywhere. Kind of scared to erase it off my dvr.:squigglemouth:

Hopefully it's still circulating out there. Check your channel listings. The "samurai" buffs here will especially love this.

The tv speakers sound is better with blu ray than dvd.

DragonsSword, when you have the money I highly recommend treating yourself to a surroundsound home cinema system! Everything sounds so much better even Dolby Digital 2.0, Mono soundtracks, everyday TV through Dolby pro Logic 2. And the difference on a cracking Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS can really add an extra layer to the enjoyment of the movie. I don't know how much better a Blu-ray can be in that department but DVD soundtracks even using just a half decent all in one home cinema system with tiny satellites and a passive sub will cream the sound coming out of your TV. Obviously you'll get an even better return with a quality home cinema amp, speakers and powered sub woofer.I don't know if you import and what's in your collection but if you have the Hong Kong region three EDKO version of Jet Li's Hero, you're in for an absolute treat.:xd: Features a full bit rate DTS soundtrack that is as stunning aurally as the film is visually.:xd: I really miss not having one.:frown:

Dudes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I watched a 2009 documentary I dvr'ed, like, some time last year on 1 of the History Channels. It is titled Samurai and narrated by Mark Dacascos.

The documentary is a biography of Miyamoto Musashi. What's so cool about it is that MD travels to Japan to personally visit the historical sites of some of Musashi's duels/battles. I never realized that some of these places have become dedicated memorials and landmarks. He also visits a kendo school descended from Musashi's sword style.

This is one of the best bio-doc's I've seen in a long time. I've looked around a bit but I'm not finding a dvd of it anywhere. Kind of scared to erase it off my dvr.:squigglemouth:

Hopefully it's still circulating out there. Check your channel listings. The "samurai" buffs here will especially love this.

I uploaded this on Youtube :nerd:

1NT1tPpkVMM

DragonsSword, when you have the money I highly recommend treating yourself to a surroundsound home cinema system! Everything sounds so much better even Dolby Digital 2.0, Mono soundtracks, everyday TV through Dolby pro Logic 2. And the difference on a cracking Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS can really add an extra layer to the enjoyment of the movie. I don't know how much better a Blu-ray can be in that department but DVD soundtracks even using just a half decent all in one home cinema system with tiny satellites and a passive sub will cream the sound coming out of your TV. Obviously you'll get an even better return with a quality home cinema amp, speakers and powered sub woofer.I don't know if you import and what's in your collection but if you have the Hong Kong region three EDKO version of Jet Li's Hero, you're in for an absolute treat.:xd: Features a full bit rate DTS soundtrack that is as stunning aurally as the film is visually.:xd: I really miss not having one.:frown:

Yes, yes, and YES!!! Home Theater system is the way to go! That version of Hero you mentioned is the one I own, my first Region 3 disc btw, and it's a film I'll never get tired of watching... The sound; DTE-ES, is AWESOME!

:nerd:

Rebel Intruders – not exactly modern martial arts cinema, but I'm sure that it used to say from 1980, so this movie is included I think? Anyway fucking awesome movie. terrific display from the leading cast keeping me gripped from beginning to end. Much appreciation for Tony for sending me the DVD , amongst others including "magic crystal" .:xd: