I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

blue_skies

What was the last modern martial-arts film you watched?

The most recent modern day martial arts actioner I watched was Killer's Romance(1990)with Simon Yam,Co-starring Joey Wong and Philip Ko Fei.This movie was a loosely based version of the popular manga Crying Freeman along with The Dragon from Russia(same year)This is yet another actioner that proves Simon has the athleticism along with acting chops to do action sequences and combined with the choreography of Ko Fei he looks goods serving up fear and bullets coupled with some kickboxing and swordplay.Joey Wong was definitely the sweetheart of her her time with her sullen eyes and disarming smile.She of course was our resident killer's love interest.Ko Fei was a barbaric triad member who was the thorn in his side.This movie was slept on and is one of my favorite Simon Yam movies to both watch and own.Overall,Dragon from Russia has more action and a stronger cast involved but neither should be overlooked and both are praiseworthy.

Edited by kokuryuha

The most recent modern day martial arts actioner I watched was Killer's Romance(1990)with Simon Yan,Co-starring Joey Wong and Philip Ko Fei.This movie was a loosely based version of the popular manga Crying Freeman along with The Dragon from Russia(same year)This is yet another actioner that proves Simon has the athleticism along with acting chops to do action sequences and combined with the choreography of Ko Fei he looks goods serving up fear and bullets coupled with some kickboxing and swordplay.Joey Wong was definitely the sweetheart of her her time with her sullen eyes and disarming smile.She of course was our resident killer's love interest.Ko Fei was a barbaric triad member who was the thorn in his  side.This movie was slept on and is one of my favorite Simon Yan movies to both watch and own.Overall,Dragon from Russia has more action and a stronger cast involved but neither should be overlooked and both are praiseworthy.

I remember this one being released on VHS as part of Tai Seng's YAM CAN KILL series, which also included Cypress Tigers, which apparently nobody liked. On the other hand, I've yet to read a negative review of this film. I'll definitely have to check it out.

Not Sure if I mentioned these but:

Brotherhood of Blades

Reign of Assassins

Haven't watched reign but I rather enjoyed brotherhood of blades

Hirokin: The Last Samurai aka Hirokin: The First Rebellion aka O Último Samurai - Okay, this movie can be summed up by the following equation: Six-String Samurai - Music References + Star Wars references - cool + suck. Like that other movie, here you have a pastiche of different themes: Star Wars, chambara and Hong Kong films, a fertile woman subplot that feels like a test-run for the recent Mad Max film, and Gladiator. Only the final result is a boring mess of suck.

On a planet we may refer to as Not-Tatooine, there's a race of superhumans known as the "Arids" (or perjoratively as "Gigs"). The human race arrived at the planet at some point, but they feared the Arids' ability to see the future seconds before it happened, so they embarked on a campaign to wipe out the Arids. Now the planet is ruled by Gryphon (Julian Sands), a human who likes to enslave Arids and force them to participate in gladiator-like combat while shtupping as many Arid women as possible in order to produce an heir. There's a wandering human named Hirokin (Wes Bentley) who falls in love with Terra, one of the last fertile Arids. They have a child, but the two are kidnapped and Hirokin must train with Obi-Wan Kenobi/Morpheus (Angus MacFadden), who'll teach him Tai Chi Chuan and how to "unravel time." Only Hirokin can unite all the Arid tribes and rebel against Gryphon, although said rebellion consists of about 10 people fighting against Darth Vader/Boba Fett derivatives called Deacons.

This was a very bad movie. The dialog was cobbled together from whatever quote book the writers had in their bookcase, plus every possible cliché they could ever imagine (including the most nonsensical use of the villain saying "You and I are a lot alike" that I've ever seen). The fight choreography is less Six-String Samurai and more Zach Snyder speed-up/slow-down, when it occurs. The music shamelessly rips off the score of The Last of the Mohicans. I'm guessing most of the budget was spent on Julian Sands and the CGI hovercraft that reminded me of the one used in Return of the Jedi during the Sarlacc sequence, because the sets are limited and the big rebellion, as stated earlier, had less than a dozen good guys fighting. It's really one of those movies that you recommend only to people you want to see suffer.

Have to agree with you DrNgor. I saw this a while back with my parents and we were all in consensus that it just wasn't good. I just didn't see Wes Bentley as a believable hero here. I think he should stick with playing villain roles like he did in The Hunger Games, the first Ghost Rider, and that parking lot terror movie P2. He just isn't suited for "hero" roles IMO.

I just recently watched My Flying Wife(1991) starring Sammo Hung and it acts as an unofficial companion piece to his Close Encounters of the Spooky Kind movies or The Dead and the Deadly.This effort was just as enjoyable as the former and better than the latter.

Sammo is a car dealer and triad boss who finds himself ensnared in a power struggle to save one of his stooges(Terrance Fok) from the ire of a female ghost(Lu Yi) and her child trying to reincarnate by taking a pearl of reincarnation that can be plucked from a human corpse after they die.They targeted his stooge(Who has the ability to see ghosts) in the first place because he intervened by preventing a young woman(Fennie Yuen)from committing sucide because she was in debt with loan sharks.So being robbed of the chance to get the pearl from the woman they now are focused on getting his even if they have to deliberately cause his death in the process.

Without revealing any more to the plot because there is of course more to this story,This romp is an enjoyable one rife with laugh out loud moments and of course an infusion of kung-fu.Not to the extent of Close Encounters of the Spooky Kind but enough to get you by.This movie also has apperances by Roy Chueng Yiu Yeung as a triad ghost,Shing fui On as an administrator ghost in the sprit realm and Tommy Wong Kwong Leung in in an unforgettable performance as a blind Taoist/fortune teller.

This movie can be found on YouTube if you can't find your own to purchase but either way it's one of those movies you have to see at least once in your life.Especially if you're a Sammo admirer like yours truly.?

MyFlyingWife+1991-3-b.jpeg

Edited by kokuryuha

Last Hero in China- easily one of the best new wave kf comedies.  I've seen this one at least 30 times and I still can't get enough.  Great soundtrack, good story about the hero going deaf,  great action with Jet Li's double pulling off tons of impossible moves, and one of the most memorable villains (helped by his English voice actor).   "oooohoohoohoohoo, my kung fu's just shit."

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir

I need to see Last Hero in China. You also have my interest with Flying Wife and Killers Romance Koku.

I watched Fatal Contact today. Overall a very enjoyable movie, with a decent enough plot and some fine fights. The story is nothing new(good guy gets into underground fighting and gets mixed up with gangsters), but the chemistry between Wu Jing, Ronald Cheng Cheung-Kei, and Miki Yeung was entertaining enough between the action. The fights start off short, and get longer and better as the movie goes on. Wu Jing gets to showcase his skills pretty well throughout, and shows some seriously awesome acrobatics and kicks. Everyone involved looks solid in the fights (Andy On, Ronald Cheng, Paul Smith, etc.), but no one particularly stands out, especially with Wu Jing tearing the screen up. The ending was frustrating. For one the final fight was possibly the weakest of the movie, and on top of that, the tone of the movie gets extremely bleak in the last 15 minutes, and not to good effect for me.. Up to this point, I felt the story was pretty decent in between the action, if not completely original or unpredictable.

Anyway, definitely worth a watch, a pretty good but not great movie overall, and Wu Jing looks great throughout. Oh, and seeing Ken Lo in various colorful pimp suits is awesome, too bad he didn't get to kick ass in it!

That's it! I'm personally revoking choreographer Nicky Li's Ken Low Privileges. Between this, BAD BLOOD, IP MAN , and LEGENDARY ASSASSIN, it's clear that the man doesn't know what to do with him.

Last Hero in China- easily one of the best new wave kf comedies.  I've seen this one at least 30 times and I still can't get enough.  Great soundtrack, good story about the hero going deaf,  great action with Jet Li's double pulling off tons of impossible moves, and one of the most memorable villains (helped by his English voice actor).   "oooohoohoohoohoo, my kung fu's just shit."

You don't think Jet Li did any of his own wire stunts? I'm going to guess his double was Ku Huen-Chiu, who's now an action director of some import.

You don't think Jet Li did any of his own wire stunts? I'm going to guess his double was Ku Huen-Chiu, who's now an action director of some import.

Close but no cigar,Doc.Jet Li's main Stunt double throughout most of his career was none other than Xiong Xin Xin the guy who played in all of the once upon a time in china movies.He was the bald guy called "Clubfoot" One helluva stuntman and acrobat.He doubled for alot of hk actors in his heyday.He's a fight choreographer too.

I need to see Last Hero in China. You also have my interest with Flying Wife and Killers Romance Koku.

I watched Fatal Contact today. Overall a very enjoyable movie, with a decent enough plot and some fine fights. The story is nothing new(good guy gets into underground fighting and gets mixed up with gangsters), but the chemistry between Wu Jing, Ronald Cheng Cheung-Kei, and Miki Yeung was entertaining enough between the action. The fights start off short, and get longer and better as the movie goes on. Wu Jing gets to showcase his skills pretty well throughout, and shows some seriously awesome acrobatics and kicks. Everyone involved looks solid in the fights (Andy On, Ronald Cheng, Paul Smith, etc.), but no one particularly stands out, especially with Wu Jing tearing the screen up. The ending was frustrating. For one the final fight was possibly the weakest of the movie, and on top of that, the tone of the movie gets extremely bleak in the last 15 minutes, and not to good effect for me.. Up to this point, I felt the story was pretty decent in between the action, if not completely original or unpredictable.

Anyway, definitely worth a watch, a pretty good but not great movie overall, and Wu Jing looks great throughout. Oh, and seeing Ken Lo in various colorful pimp suits is awesome, too bad he didn't get to kick ass in it!

Yeah Paimei,check out my flying wife and killer's romance.I'm pretty sure they'll earn your approval.I also think that the best modern actioners with wu jing are sha po lang part 1and fatal contact because they showcase wu jing at his most intense and ferocious. He needs more roles like that.Fatal Move with him and Sammo was actually intended to be the prequel for Sha Po Lang but the script gotten scrapped and they improvised it to a lesser effect.

The characters that Sammo and Wu play are doppelgangers to the Boss Po and Jack characters in Sha Po Lang.What is noteworthy of Fatal Move is the awesome duel Sammo and Wu jing have at the finale.That alone is worth the viewing.

You don't think Jet Li did any of his own wire stunts? I'm going to guess his double was Ku Huen-Chiu, who's now an action director of some import.

He's visible on some of them, but his double does about 90% of the wirework/stunts.   I'm not sure who his double is on Last Hero.  Any chance you could school me on Ku Huen Chiu?  I'm not familiar with him, but taking a glance at hkmdb it looks like he's done some really good work.  

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir

Street Soldiers 1991- cheesy street gang movie.  It's played straight, but comes off a bit goofy.  There's a good amout of funny dialogue- "you're causing me a lot of shit karate man."  And there's a good pop/rock soundtrack.   I had fun with this one.    I bought it to see Hwang Jang Lee in an American movie.  He gives a good menacing performance as the main bad guy's silent sidekick, but he doesn't get to fight much.  He does fight Jun Chong which could have been good, but it's done American style with uninspired editing.

Finally saw FATAL MOVE (2008) and you know what, it was OK.

I think it worked as a 80's styled gangster drama much better than it did as an action flick, but a truly awesome cast, decent story and it's determination to be as misanthropic and hateful towards it's characters as possible really made it work for me.

Maybe I was just in a good mood when I saw it?

I think it worked as a 80's styled gangster drama much better than it did as an action flick, but a truly awesome cast, decent story and it's determination to be as misanthropic and hateful towards it's characters as possible really made it work for me.

I actually agree with you. While I don't remember it greatly, I know I enjoyed it and as Koku said the finale is great. The one thing I recall really disliking were some really awful and cheesy cg blood effects.

He's visible on some of them, but his double does about 90% of the wirework/stunts.   I'm not sure who his double is on Last Hero.  Any chance you could school me on Ku Huen Chiu?  I'm not familiar with him, but taking a glance at hkmdb it looks like he's done some really good work.  

Ku Huen Chiu was one of Yuen Woo-Ping's protégés, working as assistant action director on nearly everything Yuen did from the early 1990s up through House of Fury. He also stunt doubled for Jet Li as early as 1993 on The Tai Chi Master and subsequently most of his other films up until The Warlords. He then struck out on his own, working on 14 Blades and The Four trilogy, among other projects.

Ku Huen Chiu was one of Yuen Woo-Ping's protégés, working as assistant action director on nearly everything Yuen did from the early 1990s up through House of Fury. He also stunt doubled for Jet Li as early as 1993 on The Tai Chi Master and subsequently most of his other films up until The Warlords. He then struck out on his own, working on 14 Blades and The Four trilogy, among other projects.

Ku is also known as Deedee Ku or Master Deedee and he is serving as the action director of the upcoming AMC series Into the Badlands with Stephen Fung directing the action scenes. He trained the series' actors prior to filming in New Orleans. 

I like to think that he got his nickname while working in Brazil on Besouro, since his Family name "Ku" means "a**hole" (the body part) in Portuguese.

SPL: Kill Zone (2005) - 9/10

SPL II: A Time For Consequences (2015) - 6.5/10

Flash Point (2007) - 7.5/10

Special ID (2013) - 7/10

Edited by DiP

I was the same way. I'd heard a lot disappointing things regarding it, but I liked the grittiness of it. I thought it had a good plot for a gangster flick, and the MA was solid. I just could've used more of it. But hey, Sammo vs Wu Jing for an end fight? That was a nice little cherry on top.