blue_skies

What was the last modern martial-arts film you watched?

Just watched Dragons Forever, classic. I've watched a few JC movies lately (including Police Story 1 & 2) and it never ceases to amaze me how much I still enjoy them and how exciting and fresh the fights & stunts look even after MANY repeated viewings and despite them being 25 years old!!! I enjoy a lot of the recent stuff like Ip Man, Ong Bak, Undisputed 2 etc but I seriously doubt i'll ever watch any of those as many times as an 80s Jackie movie.

chocolate & choy lee fut

1st rewatch of chocolate. minor flaws can easily be overlooked due to the movies generally high entertainment values. only gripe i`m having: the impact of blows comes across too soft too often. the outtakes prove it was a bone crushing experience for a many of the actors/stunt guys, it doesnt quite show all the time. if the fiction doesnt live up to the reality, u may wanna reconsider your cam angles and crank up your editing game the next time around. 7.5/10

despite all the naysaying, i SORT OF enjoyed CLF. its been harshly critizised by critics and fans alike. i get why. as for all its mishaps and lapses, wouldnt know where to start.

realizing this might have been aimed at an audience age 10-15 with no priors in screen fu goodness to begin with and very little to no expectations after reading only negative critizism, i hadnt had the worst of times. belongs in a category with all the other underwhelming modern outfit MA flicks of the past years (ie fatal contact et al). being generous, i give CLF 4 out of 10.

Foot fist way - was an absolutely awful comedy that I didn't even bother to finish.

A dangerous man - one of the best straight to DVD Steven Seagal movies I've seen a long while. I still wouldn't recommend making a purchase but it passed the time well enough.

Iron fisted monk - I know this is classic martial-arts Cinema but I usually post in this forum. Was a good, ambitious debut directorial effort from Sammo. While I enjoyed it it certainly wasn't in the same league as the prodigal son, knockabout and warriors Two. Still it was a decent film and great to see a young Sammo once more. I found the rape scenes a little uncomfortable and surprising to watch, given how reserved most Jackie, Sammo and Yuen Biao films I've seen are. I completely forgotten I had purchased this DVD and turned out to be an excellent find tucked away in my collection.

SD, I look forward to reading your thoughts on dogs of Chinatown.

Kiss Of The Dragon - I love this movie! I haven't seen it in a number of years and it's great seeing Jet do what he does best in a violent action movie with minimal wirework.:xd: I wish he would make another movie in a similar vein. It's funny how certain things stick in your mind about a film and others you just plain forget. It certainly makes it more enjoyable when you don't remember everything happening before it appears on screen.

I'm not usually one for asking for sequels but I wouldn't mind seeing Jet team up with Luc Besson again and make a fresh story for Jet's character. Or just a similar movie would be fantastic!

Special Forces - I found this Isaac Florentine movie to be a pretty run-of-the-mill bland action movie for the first 60 - 70 minutes. I spent most of the movie during this time thinking how much better the TV show The Unit is. Except that is whenever Scott Adkins was doing his thing on screen, then things picked up dramatically as he stole whatever action scenes he was in. In all honesty I wasn't impressed with the first two thirds.

However the finale completely took me by surprise. Adkins had a terrific fight sequence and boy is he quick! :xd:I don't know the name of the other fighter but they were both superb and I don't often say this about a film. Yet I really think that fight sequence was worth seeing the whole film for and the only reason I won't flog this DVD immediately.

The more I see of Adkins the more impressed I am with him. There's no way this guy should be playing second fiddle to Van Damme, he's fucking awesome!:xd:

Kiss Of The Dragon - I love this movie! I haven't seen it in a number of years and it's great seeing Jet do what he does best in a violent action movie with minimal wirework.:xd: I wish he would make another movie in a similar vein. It's funny how certain things stick in your mind about a film and others you just plain forget. It certainly makes it more enjoyable when you don't remember everything happening before it appears on screen.

I'm not usually one for asking for sequels but I wouldn't mind seeing Jet team up with Luc Besson again and make a fresh story for Jet's character. Or just a similar movie would be fantastic!

Kiss of the Dragon - I just watched this again too and totally agree it's awesome. It was surprising that there wasn't a sequel cos it felt like a lot more could be done with the character.

I watched Angry Ranger the other night and found it a good entertaining action film. It's not the greatest movie but I will definitely watch it again in the future I have to say I really liked the look of modern set Hong Kong movies from this era, with the British influence of the former territory (especially seeing the old cars) mixed with the bright neon night life. I would have liked to have seen some more choreographed empty handed battles like the one against the character Macau Hua. But all in all a good movie.

Unfortunately naughty boys didn't work for me mainly down to the large amount of comedy used throughout. Like angry ranger the subtitles weren't great but I suspect with a better translation I would have found the humour more amusing. However that's speculation on my part. Most of the action takes place at the timber yard or the warehouse sequence at the end, most of which I had seen on you tube videos. It does feature some good action but I didn't find enough of it and with the translation extremely poor I kept getting distracted. I actually paused the DVD to do washing up. I might watch the action sequences again in the future but never the whole movie.

Dreadnaught - (I know it's really classic martial-arts Cinema but I don't really post there very often ) I've had this on VCD for a couple of years at least hoping to get the DVD before watching the movie but gave in & watched it. Anyway this was my first time I'm watching this film and it was really good! :xd:They don't make them like this any more, more's the pity. An excellent blend of martial-arts and comedy in places and also in others very dark and sinister, in particular the first time we see the masked killer stalking Yuen Biao's character. It's almost Hallowe'en -esque. It was great to see another Beardy movie and this time without his beard! I really hope Cine Asia puts out the Hong Kong Legends DVD for release.

Ninja in the Dragon's Den - I've been wanting to watch this again for a long while and forgotten how good it really is. The movie's jam-packed full of action and there's some funny comedy too. Was interesting listening to the Bey Logan audio commentary and finding out why Conan Lee didn't make as many films as he could have. It was also interesting to know that the Stunt where Conan Lee jumps off the bridge on to the lamp-post in Tiger on the beat 2, he fell and was hospitalised. I did wonder why the action didn't seem so dynamic from Conan Lee and that explains it .

Clash - quite good martial-arts action movie. I didn't think it was anything special and a bit of a disappointment after The Rebel .

Tiger on the beat 2 - not a bad action movie but not a patch on the original movie.

Dreadnaught - (I know it's really classic martial-arts Cinema but I don't really post there very often ) I've had this on VCD for a couple of years at least hoping to get the DVD before watching the movie but gave in & watched it. Anyway this was my first time I'm watching this film and it was really good! :xd:They don't make them like this any more, more's the pity. An excellent blend of martial-arts and comedy in places and also in others very dark and sinister, in particular the first time we see the masked killer stalking Yuen Biao's character. It's almost Hallowe'en -esque. It was great to see another Beardy movie and this time without his beard! I really hope Cine Asia puts out the Hong Kong Legends DVD for release.

I have a spare Deltamac dvd of Dreadnaught if you want it (for free). Let me know :smile:

Coweb - After wanting to see this film for so long I've finely caved and watch it online. I really don't have a lot to say about it beyond it bored the pants off me, the martial-arts/action wasn't particularly great and I wish Hong Kong film-makers would stop using wire work in modern films, or at very least minimise its usage to only accentuate certain moves. Luxia Jiang is definitely a talent and I look forward to seeing more of her films, but for me this didn't showcase her true talent. I much preferred Bad Blood over this.

Profile In Anger - for anyone interested this movie is on Youtube. My feelings about this movie are quite mixed as when there's no action on screen it's a pretty dull movie. The first 30 - 35 minutes especially nothing much really happens but after this point you get to see the action. Unfortunately there's plenty of dull dramatic scenes between these "hate" filled action set-pieces. However between the drudgery there's lots of fun filled vengeance to enjoy. :xd: At 1 hour and 20 minutes this film seems quite short but is a marathon, seriously. In my opinion what we need is somebody with video editing skills to cut away the "story" to reveal a little gem of a mini movie.:bigsmile:

Oh and watch out for Beardy's beard:wink: