blue_skies

What was the last modern martial-arts film you watched?

The last two that I watched was "high kick girl" which I thought was pretty woeful. And yesterday I watched "Tiger claws 2" which was OK but nothing special. Great to see Cynthia Rothrock in a film I don't think I've seen before and she looked very attractive in this movie especially in the sexy undergarment in the hotel.:xd: I still think to date the best she's looked (from what I've seen) was in a "lady reporter", she did really gorgeous then.

I recently watched Clash starring Johnny Nguyen and Veronica Ngo. (Karlos sent me a copy.)

I liked it. Not exactly on a par with The Rebel but some good fight sequences. For not having any formal MA, she can really sell a fight. JN does some really great grappling and ground fighting in this. Looking forward to a proper US release of this.

Hi blue_skies, sorry to be a pain in the ass, but what exactly do you mean by a "modern martial-arts Cinema film"?

You mean any martial arts movie made from 1980 - present as this forum section name specifies, or an actually modern day based martial arts movie, & does the cinema reference mean that it had to have had a cinema release?

Just want to clarify before I chip in with my 2 cents!

Hi blue_skies, sorry to be a pain in the ass, but what exactly do you mean by a "modern martial-arts Cinema film"?

You mean any martial arts movie made from 1980 - present as this forum section name specifies, or an actually modern day based martial arts movie, & does the cinema reference mean that it had to have had a cinema release?

Just want to clarify before I chip in with my 2 cents!

Sorry I wasn't very clear I was referring to films made between 1980 and the present, just like the forum name. By Cinema I meant a film, which doesn't have to have been released at the cinema , nor released on DVD , VHS or any other format.:bigsmile:

Sorry I wasn't very clear I was referring to films made between 1980 and the present, just like the forum name. By Cinema I meant a film, which doesn't have to have been released at the cinema , nor released on DVD , VHS or any other format.

Ahhh....gotcha, you where directly quoting the forum name, I should have caught on to that myself!

In that case the last movies I watched on DVD would be `Reign of Assassins` and `Ashes of Time Redux`....both thoroughly recommended, but for completely different reasons.

Last few at the cinema where `Ip Man` (`Ip Man` got a cinema release in Japan after `Ip Man 2`!...the only theory I can come up with for this is that maybe they never planned to release the first, due to the Japanese being portrayed as completely evil swines, but then considering the second one did quite well they must have just thought "what the hell, lets release the first one as well"!), `KG` which was a lot of fun, and `Kunoichi` which I am still attending therapy for in order to erase it from my brain.

The Blade - I watched this after reading another thread about violent movies and thought this would hit the mark. It wasn't nearly as violent as I remember but a good film nevertheless. The end fight wasn't as good as I remember either.

I have to admit being disappointed watching on a widescreen TV as I and wasn't able to zoom into the image without losing half the subtitles off the screen. Still I made do with the pretty poor picture quality.

Dragon the Bruce Lee story - I really enjoyed this again. One thing I have wondered though is how true is it to real life events? For example did he really lose that fight through unfair means or was that just perpetuating the legend of Bruce Lee? Also after his recovery from injury, when he's at that karate convention/Competition, was that definitely the same guy that beat him that put him in hospital? Is there any real-life footage of that event? And finally did Bruce really have this major real-life battle on the set of "the big boss"?

@ blue_skies

I'm very conflicted about that movie. I enjoy it but............

I think most of those "fight events" were incidents that were dramatized for the movie. I didn't think the fights themselves were all that bad. I just don't think they properly characterized Bruce's style of fighting.

I liked Jason Scott Lee in the role. He's done other action-y stuff, too. (I like him in Time Cop 2. Wish he'd do more movies like that.)

I'm very conflicted about that movie. I enjoy it but............

Likewise....in fact to be honest I find this movie pretty unwatchable, as anything tends to be that relates to Bruce Lee with the Linda Lee seal of approval on it.

So much of the movie didn't make sense to me...especially as one of the recurring themes is him being haunted by what seems to be a Japanese samurai demon...what connection does this creation have to an Amercian born Chinese like Bruce Lee!?

One thing I have wondered though is how true is it to real life events? For example did he really lose that fight through unfair means or was that just perpetuating the legend of Bruce Lee? Also after his recovery from injury, when he's at that karate convention/Competition, was that definitely the same guy that beat him that put him in hospital? Is there any real-life footage of that event? And finally did Bruce really have this major real-life battle on the set of "the big boss"?

I would probably say this is worth creating a seperate thread for, there are so many people on here with an encyclopedic knowledge of Bruce Lee, but unfortunately I'm not one of them, and I'm not sure how many of them would be checking this thread out. It might be worth posting it in the Classic Martial Arts Cinema forum as well, it's where you'll probably get the most responses.

Legendary Assassin. Not sure if this belongs in this thread. But it was a pretty good movie, Wu-Jings best performance IMO. And the female lead is DROP-DEAD GORGEOUS!

You know what they say about opinions....:tongue:

Fair enough, personally I find this movie to be one of the biggest let downs of recent years. With Wu Jing directing and taking a hand in the choreography along with Nicky Li, I was at least expecting some intricate exchanges and hard hitting throw downs...instead we get Wu Jing repeatedly swinging about on wires or acting like a boot master, thumbs down from me!

Dragon- when I first saw it all those years ago, I always found it funny that Bruce Lee was being attacked by Shredder from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I haven't seen it for years but would watch it again if Kara Hui makes an appearance. Is she speaking in English?

Wow really? Are we talking about the same movie? I didn't notice too much wirework at all. Mostly for falls and impact. It's mostly "grounded" choreography.

I thought the fight scenes were pretty brutal. Especially the finale. His acting performance was pretty good as well. Its obvious it didn't have a big budget, but I thought it was a well put-together movie. A cameo from Kara Hui (I think that's her) was good to see, as well.

Completely respect your opinion buddy. For me it just didn't cut it, it seemd like a wirework fest. Nothing wrong with that, but I thought it really wasn't appropriate for a modern day setting martial arts movie. A few examples of what I mean are in this fight scene - check out the 1:14 mark, 2:09 mark, 2:14 mark (this is the most glaringly inappropriate use!), 2:23 mark, & 4:17 mark...it was just ridiculous for me!

yo5ROb5-ir8

Dragon- when I first saw it all those years ago, I always found it funny that Bruce Lee was being attacked by Shredder from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I haven't seen it for years but would watch it again if Kara Hui makes an appearance. Is she speaking in English?

Sorry Phoenix, we're talking about 2 different movies here, the movie with Kara Hui is 'Legendary Assassin', which is also what I'm talking about above!

I would probably say this is worth creating a seperate thread for, there are so many people on here with an encyclopedic knowledge of Bruce Lee, but unfortunately I'm not one of them, and I'm not sure how many of them would be checking this thread out. It might be worth posting it in the Classic Martial Arts Cinema forum as well, it's where you'll probably get the most responses.

!

I'll do that thanks. I will perhaps give it a week or so first just to see if anyone Post's on here.

The last film I saw was Vampire Warriors, which I have commented more on the dedicated thread for that film, but simply put I thought it was an awful film, really boring and lacking any entertaining fight sequences.

The last film I saw was Vampire Warriors, which I have commented more on the dedicated thread for that film, but simply put I thought it was an awful film, really boring and lacking any entertaining fight sequences.

Ha ha...yeah Dennis Law, he definitely misses more than he hits! I haven`t seen all of his movies, but he is doing his best to single handedly re-create the glory days of HK cinema. Sadly he doesn`t seem to have a clue about being a decent movie-maker. Thankfully `Bad Blood` hit the mark, and hit it well....it did indeed feel like one of those nostalgic 80`s kickboxing movies, complete with nonsensical plot moments and crazy twists.

So I take it you weren't a fan of Jet Li's American movies i.e. Romeo Must Die, Cradle to the Grave? Haha, now THAT was ridiculous. Charlies Angels? Goofy. And those were action directed by HK legends.

Yeah....you got that right! Although both where choreographed by the legendary Corey Yuen Kwai, they somehow didn`t hit the mark, and there has never been a more wasted opportunity than having Jet Li, Mark Dacascos, and Kelly Hu all in the same movie! I did enjoy the fights in `Kiss of the Dragon` though, they seemed to have a harder edge than his other US efforts with Li.

I think you're breaking down L.A. too much. I mean, it seemed you're looking for the wires, down to the second its onscreen. Im not a big fan of wirework in a modern-day setting either, but it seemed more "natural" than some of the examples above.

Im not a big Jacky Wu fan either. His "boyish" looks and arrogant demeanor get annoying, but he wasn't bad in this. I guess thats why I liked it so much, because it was a Jacky Wu movie that I actually enjoyed.

Its not a masterpiece by any means, but better than alot of the mediocre movies coming from there, now. And I have to mention Celina Jade, again...

I wasn`t looking for wires, I noticed them straight away on my first viewing of the movie. The reason I provided the time references to the clip was to give you a few examples of what I was referring too, nothing more.

It simply seemed that every time Wu Jing jumped it involved going about 3 meters into the air, I didn`t really see the need for it and for me it was actually distracting. At one point he does one of these amazing jumps and upon landing you actually notice the wire harness almost pull him off balance a little, completely unnecessary.

But everyone has their own taste, I actually enjoyed him in `Invisible Target`, and that`s a movie that completely divides people down the middle. Have you seen `City Under Siege`?...terrible movie, but Wu Jing`s character deserves to have his own spin-off franchise as the kick-ass mutant hunter, his performance was great!

Ha ha...yeah Dennis Law, he definitely misses more than he hits! I haven`t seen all of his movies, but he is doing his best to single handedly re-create the glory days of HK cinema. Sadly he doesn`t seem to have a clue about being a decent movie-maker. Thankfully `Bad Blood` hit the mark, and hit it well....it did indeed feel like one of those nostalgic 80`s kickboxing movies, complete with nonsensical plot moments and crazy twists.

Yeah....you got that right! Although both where choreographed by the legendary Corey Yuen Kwai, they somehow didn`t hit the mark, and there has never been a more wasted opportunity than having Jet Li, Mark Dacascos, and Kelly Hu all in the same movie! I did enjoy the fights in `Kiss of the Dragon` though, they seemed to have a harder edge than his other US efforts with Li.

I wasn`t looking for wires, I noticed them straight away on my first viewing of the movie. The reason I provided the time references to the clip was to give you a few examples of what I was referring too, nothing more.

It simply seemed that every time Wu Jing jumped it involved going about 3 meters into the air, I didn`t really see the need for it and for me it was actually distracting. At one point he does one of these amazing jumps and upon landing you actually notice the wire harness almost pull him off balance a little, completely unnecessary.

But everyone has their own taste, I actually enjoyed him in `Invisible Target`, and that`s a movie that completely divides people down the middle. Have you seen `City Under Siege`?...terrible movie, but Wu Jing`s character deserves to have his own spin-off franchise as the kick-ass mutant hunter, his performance was great!

I saw "Bad Blood" and agree it was a very enjoyable movie. But it certainly gave me hope for Denis Law and Hong Kong cinema, as per your recommendation. However as I said I was extremely disappointed by Vampire Warriors. Out of curiosity one-armed boxer, do you happen to know who was the choreographer for Bad Blood?

I agree with what you're saying about cradle 2 the grave. it was probably one of my most disappointing moments watching a new Jet Li film. However "Kiss Of the Dragon" is one of my favourite Jet Li movies. I think that being a French movie not a Hollywood film works so much better.

I appreciate your comments on "legendary assassins" as I doubt I will bother with the film even if it's released in the UK.

I bought "Invisible target" because of Wu Jing as much as I enjoyed him and his character, I really didn't enjoy the film. Perhaps had he kicked the crap out of those "heroes" I would have felt different. But I just felt embarrassed for the poor guy having to pretend to be beaten by those three muppet's, that would have struggled to fight their way out of a paper bag. I spent most of the movie feeling embarrassed for Jackie Chan, the legend that is Hong Kong action cinema and his son was well not a chip off the old block!

Out of curiosity one-armed boxer, do you happen to know who was the choreographer for Bad Blood?

Hey blue_skies, yeah the action director was Nicky Li, who always tends to be the action guy for Dennis Law & Benny Chan's movies (as well as Wu Jing's 'Legendary Assassin'!). Sadly I find his action choreography to be as varying in quality as the directors he works for, sometimes it's great ('Bad Blood'), other times it's just sub-par ('City Under Siege'). I'm happy that Benny Chan decided to not go with him for the movie 'Shaolin' and instead chose, the also previously mentioned in this thread, Corey Yuen Kwai, I haven't seen it yet but it should be worth a watch based on that fact alone.

I appreciate your comments on "legendary assassins" as I doubt I will bother with the film even if it's released in the UK.

Perhaps just worth a rental, you can find a pretty good review on it by Mark Pollard here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/review-legendary-assassin-2008-5274

& there's some pretty good comments in the dedicated thread about it as well, might help you to make up your mind more than just the conversation we've had here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7028

I bought "Invisible target" because of Wu Jing as much as I enjoyed him and his character, I really didn't enjoy the film. Perhaps had he kicked the crap out of those "heroes" I would have felt different. But I just felt embarrassed for the poor guy having to pretend to be beaten by those three muppet's, that would have struggled to fight their way out of a paper bag. I spent most of the movie feeling embarrassed for Jackie Chan, the legend that is Hong Kong action cinema and his son was well not a chip off the old block!

Fair enough. I thought he beat down on the heroes pretty much throughout the whole movie personally, which is why they had to go for the 3-on-1 finale, because they realized none of them stood a chance of beating him alone. I respected the fact that the guys wern't afraid of getting thrown about either, when Wu Jing delivers the kick to Shawn Yue after making him eat the bullets, he falls pretty hard, Nicolas Tse also gets some punishment in, in the finale Wu Jing literally throws him head first over a desk, and also kicks him down a flight of stairs, painful stuff.

What's the connection with Jackie Chan though? Apart from his son being in the movie he had no involvement.

Hey blue_skies, yeah the action director was Nicky Li, who always tends to be the action guy for Dennis Law & Benny Chan's movies (as well as Wu Jing's 'Legendary Assassin'!). Sadly I find his action choreography to be as varying in quality as the directors he works for, sometimes it's great ('Bad Blood'), other times it's just sub-par ('City Under Siege'). I'm happy that Benny Chan decided to not go with him for the movie 'Shaolin' and instead chose, the also previously mentioned in this thread, Corey Yuen Kwai, I haven't seen it yet but it should be worth a watch based on that fact alone.

Perhaps just worth a rental, you can find a pretty good review on it by Mark Pollard here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/review-legendary-assassin-2008-5274

& there's some pretty good comments in the dedicated thread about it as well, might help you to make up your mind more than just the conversation we've had here -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7028

Fair enough. I thought he beat down on the heroes pretty much throughout the whole movie personally, which is why they had to go for the 3-on-1 finale, because they realized none of them stood a chance of beating him alone. I respected the fact that the guys wern't afraid of getting thrown about either, when Wu Jing delivers the kick to Shawn Yue after making him eat the bullets, he falls pretty hard, Nicolas Tse also gets some punishment in, in the finale Wu Jing literally throws him head first over a desk, and also kicks him down a flight of stairs, painful stuff.

What's the connection with Jackie Chan though? Apart from his son being in the movie he had no involvement.

I can see where you're coming from but for me it's one of those films that I didn't like the heroes and even three on one found it hard to believe that they could win. Just the idea that that guy wrapping his arms around his leg he takes such a pounding from Wu Jing without releasing his leg. Would probably have cracked his skull open on the first blow, at most one more should have knocked him unconscious assuming the first didn't do the job. Anyway I just didn't enjoy the film. It was all right but largely disappointing.

Just being his son you would have thought that it would have robbed off.