I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

mpm74

HKFlix website shut down...

DVD Compare is good for checking specs, but you should be careful as they rank releases by specs only, without actually comparing the quality. That means that if one dvd has perfect remastered mono track, and the other one has a DTS track that is 5 minutes out of sync and missing audio from the last 30 minutes, they will still rank the DTS edition as winner because they never compared the quality, just the technical specs.

Ok, a bit exaggerated, but I've seen something like that happen a lot.

People wanted them to close because they sell boots, but now they realized what a great resource has been destroyed..nobody will benefit from this.:tinysmile_angry2_t:

Well.. I love Burger King at the moment, but if they in ten years time start serving hamburgers with worms in them, take five hours to get the food to the table, and refuse to answer the customers when they have a question, I wouldn't set my foot there again. The HKflix website layout and functions are and always have been great and HKflix used to be good, but that's just nostalgia talking, they have been horrible lately. Them biting the dust is a good thing. Having inferiour retailers hanging around fooling newcomers and veterans of the genre is only causing our fan-base harm.

I remember ordering Way Of The Dragon 2 disc denmark edition or some shit and somehow it never came in the mailbox.. Sent them numerous emails regarding my order and in the process was angry and frustrated that the guy wanted to come over and kick my ass, LOL..

The guy was like, I would love for you to come over to the warehouse,hahhahah.. It was like in one of those kung fu movies where the guy sends the letter threatening to kick the protagonist ass.

I remember ordering Way Of The Dragon 2 disc denmark edition or some shit and somehow it never came in the mailbox.. Sent them numerous emails regarding my order and in the process was angry and frustrated that the guy wanted to come over and kick my ass, LOL..

The guy was like, I would love for you to come over to the warehouse,hahhahah.. It was like in one of those kung fu movies where the guy sends the letter threatening to kick the protagonist ass.

LOL! That woke me up. Great comment.

LOL! WTF? This was hkflix?

Yes the new management was very bad but the website itself was a great resource with reviews and comparsons. Shame they couldn't just leave the website up.

Maybe we can convince them to give the database away. It was already online for years, so it's not like they are losing anything if they let someone else host it. Perhaps even work out a deal where they receive ad revenue... hmmmm...

"Young men, suppose we assume that hkflix.com is going away and it's never coming back again. Now, would this be such a terrible thing?"

This is VERY bad news, indeed. When I discovered Kung fu Cinema in 2002, I also discovered HKFlix as well. Along with Mark Pollard, HKFlix is where I learned about DVD region encoding, universal DVD players, and what the best version of any film to get. HKFlix was THE "go to" site for reference, stock, professional reviews, customer comments, etc. Their search engine was THE BEST. You could click on any actor, director, studio/distributor and pull up all DVDs by what you click on. They were the pioneers of that, to my knowledge. When they were in the DVD player business, they were also the best. I bought my first 2 universal DVD players from them - a Malata, then an Oppo Digital. I would say 35% - 45% of my library of DVDs is from HKFlix, and some of them are my most treasured DVDs.

Their customer service was also excellent. It was so good, that I could use their email form from their Help page and address it to "George" and he would get it and answer it. I got to know George over time and he would clue me in on DVDs they were getting, stuff that was going OOP, etc. He was just awesome.

Then in Nov 2009, HKFlix changed management. That's when I noticed a huge difference. They got out of the hardware business, stopped answering emails, and raised their free shipping threshold to $75 from $49. They stopped their monthly email newsletter and started those obnoxious mass marketing emails. From Nov 2009, I provbably placed 1-2 orders and that's it.

A once superb retailer for us - now GONE! That just sucks! FUCK those guys who ran the company into the ground!

:yociexp78:

I never had a problem either. I didn't realise that their ownership had changed, but that does explain things. Even when I wasn't buying though, the site was awesome for reference purposes. Guess I'll have to find somewhere else. Where's best to look?

"Young men, suppose we assume that hkflix.com is going away and it's never coming back again. Now, would this be such a terrible thing?"

"When old Wang disappeared, you said the same thing! I bet their dead then!"

:wink:

Guest WuxiaFan
I had an order listed as "processing" for a month or two now. Guess I'm not getting reimbursed?

I wonder if they will still send my stuff.... it's only a couple of cheap DVDs fortunately.I will give them some time, but eventually I'll have to file a claim with Paypal.Not that it will ever get my money back.

HKFlix was good about not charging you until the order shipped, assuming you used a credit card. If your order never shipped before they closed or if you paid for it at the time of order, forget about it. That's just my take on it...:squigglemouth:

I just ordered Ip Man (US 2-disc) with the free poster for $6.76 shipped last month and still haven't received it.

If they shipped it Media Mail, it still could be out there somewhere. MM could take up to 30 days to receive. :ooh:

Maybe we can convince them to give the database away. It was already online for years, so it's not like they are losing anything if they let someone else host it. Perhaps even work out a deal where they receive ad revenue... hmmmm...

"Come on... he says it's okay"

From my understanding, the datebase is on sale. They're actually currently working on getting it back online (reference), but the problem is it cost a thousand yen to host. Still in limbo.

Guest WuxiaFan
Heard from George from HKFlix, yes.

Maybe just maybe, wouldn't hurt to try right!:neutral::bigsmile:

George was a good guy that I got to know at HKFlix before they changed management. Maybe roycck could contact him and see if Lixiao's idea would work. SR is right, wouldn't hurt to ask...:squigglemouth:

"Come on... he says it's okay"

From my understanding, the datebase is on sale. They're actually currently working on getting it back online (reference), but the problem is it cost a thousand yen to host. Still in limbo.

Dad, Could you let me have 2,000 yen?

:wink:

Sigh. I'll never get my VCD I ordered of Rape and Die a few weeks ago. Thankfully it was on backorder so I didn't get charged for it. Had I known they were going under I'd have ordered more discs during their sale. The last email for their big sale said 'last day for huge sale.' They weren't kidding. I hardly ever purchased from them but as it's been pointed out, they were good for reference points.

People wanted them to close because they sell boots, but now they realized what a great resource has been destroyed..nobody will benefit from this.:tinysmile_angry2_t:

Yeah some people get way too bent out of shape about bootlegs. Bootlegs may not be the sole source of getting these movies these days but they still have their place.

Guest Hiro UK
ZOKE is not a bootleg company..

I stand corrected (they just looked like boots when I saw pics online).

I'm not sure but I think they did do bootlegs (as just Zoke?) and then went legit (as Zoke Culture?), or there was some one selling bootlegs also called Zoke.