I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
galvatron1976

Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake

Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake

A massive earthquake has hit the north-east of Japan, triggering a tsunami that has caused extensive damage.

Japanese television showed cars, ships and even buildings being swept away by a vast wall of water after the 8.9-magnitude earthquake.

The quake has sparked fires in several areas including Tokyo. At least 32 people were killed, officials said.

It struck about 250 miles (400km) from the capital at a depth of 20 miles. There have been powerful aftershocks.

The tremor, measured at 8.9 by the US Geological Survey, hit at 1446 local time (0546 GMT). Seismologists say it is one of the largest earthquakes to hit Japan for many years.

A tsunami warning was extended across the Pacific to New Zealand in the south and North and South America to the east.

The Red Cross in Geneva warned that the tsunami waves could be higher than some Pacific islands, Reuters news agency said.

Coastal areas in the Philippines, Hawaii and other Pacific islands were evacuated ahead of the tsunami's expected arrival.

Wall of water

Strong waves hit Japan's Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures, officials said, damaging dozens of coastal communities. Kyodo news agency said a 10-metre wave (33ft) struck the port of Sendai in Miyagi prefecture.

Japan's NHK television showed a massive surge of debris-filled water sweeping away buildings, cars and ships and reaching far inland.

Motorists could be seen trying to speed away from the wall of water.

link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598

I live in Tokyo and I'm still being shaken around by aftershocks even now, 8 hours after the original quake.

My work was evacuated and I came home to find my apartment in complete disarray....my bathroom wall has a huge crack in it streching from the ceiling to the floor!:cry:

Watching this on CNN; the two on-air personalities are about the biggest cluckheads I've seen. Very clear footage shows two large vessels that have been capsized by the tsunami and one of them goes: "Looks like a ship or a boat turned over." Hmmm, ya think lady?

Anyway, more disturbing is there appears to be one (or more) nuclear power plant reactors ablaze and they're having trouble cooling them off. Prayers to the people of Japan and any forum members who live or have families there.

Guest Yi-Long

Been following this all day. The number of deaths will probably be in the tens of thousands. Perhaps even around 100.000.

Very disturbing stuff.

The devastation is heartbreaking and will only get worse as this unfolds.

I've already said a prayer for all in Japan and those surrounding areas to be affected. I know one prayer won't be enough. I'll being praying throughout the day and the weekend.

OAB: Keep us posted please on how you are.

That really goes for all our forum brothers and sisters. Hope you will be able to check in and let us know you are alright, please.

The devastation is heartbreaking and will only get worse as this unfolds.

I've already said a prayer for all in Japan and those surrounding areas to be affected. I know one prayer won't be enough. I'll being praying throughout the day and the weekend.

That really goes for all our forum brothers and sisters. Hope you will be able to check in and let us know you are alright, please.

My sentiments exactly. My prayers and sympathies are are with everyone in the region. This is devastating, tragic, news!

Just saw an update that the radiation levels have surged 1,000x's above normal outside the Fukushima Daiichi power plant because the reactor's cooling system has failed.

Hi ShaOW!linDude....thanks for your thoughts.

Tokyo is as ok as it can be at the moment....we are still suffering from almost hourly aftershocks, with the possibility of another big earthquake in the next few days, but nothing compared to the devestation that has been brought on just a few hours north.

In terms of how it's effecting Tokyo, there are currently blackouts being rolled out over each ward during the coming week as there is not enough electricity to go around, and people are being advised not to switch on their TV or radio unless they absolutely have to....it is pretty much impossible to buy any freshfood or bread from the supermarket and many shelves are completely empty...and we have the small issue of the leaking radioactivity from the nuclear power plant a few hundred miles north which is prompting a few foreign people I know here to leave or in some cases have left already.

For now I am staying put, but there is definitely a sense of foreboding in the air at the moment.