I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
daisho2004

I Saw The Devil (2011)

Thanks for the update, just placed my order!!!

Likewise....triple-billed it with `A Better Tomorrow` and `Man of Vendetta` to take advantage of the `Pick `n` Mix` offer they have on Korean movies....opted for `My Girlfriend is an Agent`, looks like one to watch with the girlfriend compared to the ones I`m actually paying for!

I cannot wait to get this movie!

daisho2004....after the bad experience you had with `The Good. The Bad. The Weird`, it might be good for you to know that just like that movie, the Korean 3-DVD set of this movie comes with the Korean version and the International version....so if you want what you consider to be the completely uncut version of this movie, go for the Korean set and not the US one, just trying to save you from making the same mistake twice!

OAB: The thing that gets me with The Good The Bad & The Weird is that its such a great movie and why couldn't they just put both versions out on BR on the same damn disc! And this 3 disc set isn't on BR again why the hell not! I'm still trying to find the extended version of The Good The Bad & The Weird on BR!

Ha ha...I can feel your frustration from here! As the Rolling Stones once famoulsy sung "You can`t always get what you want"!

Out of curiosity, how did you actually see the Korean version of `The Good. The Bad. The Weird`? It was only released in that format on Korean cinemas and as part of the Korean 3-DVD set, but from your description it sounds like you didn`t see it through either of those options?

OK I just finished watching this movie and I thought it was great! The acting, the storyline everything! I will agree that the last 30 minutes kinda lost it feeling that the beginning had, that was built up with so much steam. Choi Min-shik was as sick as a character as you can want to watch. I only wish he had suffered more, I didn't want him to get off so easily. I have to think that this was the uncut version the movie was almost 2-1/2hrs.

OAB: To answer your question I got to buy The Good, The Bad & The Weird from My Guy on eBay who I buy from all the time, who sells these movies from overseas. And it was the uncut extended version of the movie, which is the best version out. The US relase cut the film and it really ruins the end of the movie. I'm still pissed that the BR doesn't have the extended cut on it. If you know who has it let me know, Thanks

So, I don't have time right now to reread through the whole thread, but...

Is the upcoming region 1 release of I SAW THE DEVIL going to be the trimmed version? Or is it the uncut version?

To answer your question I got to buy The Good, The Bad & The Weird from My Guy on eBay who I buy from all the time, who sells these movies from overseas. And it was the uncut extended version of the movie, which is the best version out.

That must have been a bootleg buddy, the only way to get the Korean version on DVD is in the Korean released 3-DVD set.

Is the upcoming region 1 release of I SAW THE DEVIL going to be the trimmed version? Or is it the uncut version?

Without going on a technical fact finding mission, I'd say it's a safe bet that the version that will be released in the US will be the international version, as that's the audience the international version was made for. The Korean versions of these movies are rarely, if ever, released outside of Korea, and normally included in the Korean release along with the international print (see 'The Good, The Bad, The Weird', 'Thirst' etc.)

That must have been a bootleg buddy, the only way to get the Korean version on DVD is in the Korean released 3-DVD set.

Well where ever he gets them from I've never had any problems with them and there pressed DVD's so I'm sticking with him.

I still want the BR uncut verison of it so if you know who has it, please let me know...

Got to catch this in theater this week end... I thought it really blew. I like what Kim Jee Woon has done in the past but this an exception.

I mean the protagonist and antagonist are both supidly simplistic. For a 2h30 movie, there isn't much meat around the characters. Especially Choi Min-Sik's character who is as unidimensional as it gets. Psycho killer people have psycho killer friends, and cops have cops friends. Evrything is simple, uninvolving, and seemed put together only for shock value and voyeurism. And don't get me wrong, I wasn't shocked at all by the violence, it's just that everything felt soulless and emotionless, just showing off as if it was saying "Look how convincing I can make this violent scene! Cool hein? Look at him breaking his balls!"

Pointless and soulless, I was bored out of my mind...

If you want to see somthing sharing the same theme but with more emotional involvement, I recommend "Les 7 jours du Tallion" wich was released under the title "Seven Days" internationally.

Could only find the french trailer so : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJG6LpbsZ6c

I went into this movie looking for another saw/slasher horror type movie.. I'm not gonna sit for 2 hrs plus expecting some character driven development which has already been done in countless other movies like I don't know Old boy or something, but this was about the cat and mouse game, the violence and it delivered raw.. You were bored, really???

Again everyone has different tastes for movies, I know I really enjoyed this movie, I do wish it had some more violence by means of making him suffer some more for what he did to everyone, and how I thought he really got off to easily. But overall I thought it was an excellent movie and everyone said this wasn't an action packed movie it was more on the lines of suspenseful.

My Korean DVD of this arrived yesterday....it's a great looking set, and that's even before I've put it in my DVD player.

I thought it was interesting to point out, unlike 'The Good. The Bad. The Weird', which contained both the 'Korean Version' & the 'International Version'....the 'I Saw the Devil' DVD's are labeled as the 'Theatrical Version' & the 'International Version'.

I'll be curious to see which version it was that I watched on the cinema here in Toyko!

On a sidenote, this thread is interesting to see peoples different opinions on revenge. Considering the whole point of the movie is that Lee Byung-hun's characters goes so far on his quest for vengeance that he actually becomes the devil himself, it's interesting to see some people actually wishing he dished out more punishment and pain!

Great Point! And Hell Yeah I wanted that Psycho Son of a Bitch to suffer more!

Ha ha....fair enough! My personal interpretation of the movie though was that it wasn't so much about how much punishment Choi Min-sik received, but how far Lee Byung-hun was willing to dehumainze himself to give it.

Guest Yi-Long
OK this movie is out on BR has anyone picked it up? I'm just hoping that its not cut up like The Good, The Bad, & The Weird!

There seem to be multiple cuts again, and I don't think we're getting the completely uncut version.

Download instead.

I finally got to see this in the cinema over the weekend. I was delighted to finally sit down and watch it as I had incredibly high hopes. I can say, which a beaming grin on my face, that it met those expectations.

I can understand how some people don't like it. There isn't much in the way of character development. However, I don't think that's the focus of the film. I could watch Kim Soo-hyeon track down and torture Kyung-chul for seven hours straight. I couldn't get enough. I think the film is very much about its premise and the idea, or question, of "How will this end?" I thoroughly enjoyed the way it escalated and gave several nods to horror cliche, without tripping up on them.

I was also very happy to see, for the first time, someone walk out of the theater because of the violence portrayed on screen.

Two thumbs up.