I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
spawn

A Bittersweet Life (2005)

It's a modern classic. The stylization is a mix between Tarantino's over the top violence and John Woo's slo-mo. This is a must see, a good representation to the cinema of Korea.

One-Armed Boxer and I were just singing the praises of this classic film.

Hey MODS- can we give this thread the proper love and move it to the Korean film section please?

I like the movie... But honestly I don't get the Tarantino comparaison.... IMO, it doesn't like a Tarantino movie at all, nor the pacing, characters or dialogues... Feels more like a Melville movie to me. More so then John Woo's movies who drew a lot of inspiration from Jean-Pierre Melville. Plus, I don't recall slow-mo shoot outs à la John Woo... Yes the shoot outs are somewhat stylized in the camera work, but, nothing like John Woo's. Not they are not good, they are different and far less over the top.

Still, it's a great crime action/drama and one of the better korean movies. I just don't think it's fair to go in expecting something it's not (or at least I don't think it is)... You might come out disapointed. The only point of comparaison that works for me is that, like Woo and Tarantino's work, it's style over substance.

BTW, I'm with KFB, please move this to the Korean section...

BITTERSWEET LIFE is a classic. Lee Byung-Hun is just an impeccably attired wrecking machine in this. The harder you try and kill him, the more of your flunkies get taken out in increasingly creative ways. For unknown reasons (well, I don't know them), while this film periodically runs on US cable TV it has never come out for sale in this country. I'd repurchase this film on Blu-ray without batting an eye as long as they didn't screw the disc up.

EDIT: Oh, this is in the Japanese section? Didn't notice. Yeah, someone move this please. A place for everything and everything in its place.

Well, it is actually a tough choice for me between which one is worse. I can’t say either one is a really horrible movie, but I found Bittersweet more boring. But that’s coming from someone who’s not a fan of newer Korean movies at all. Oldboy is the only one I “really” like, and then No Blood No Tears is a far off second. I guess I’m just partial to the older movies. I’ll take Kill the Shogun or even the Elton Chong classic Shaolin Drunk Monkey over Bittersweet any day.

I was majorly disappointed with this. I thought Public Enemy was better, and I didn't like Public Enemy much at all. Move this thread to the crap section.

I LOVE THIS PLACE :wink: !!

Well, it is actually a tough choice for me between which one is worse. I can’t say either one is a really horrible movie, but I found Bittersweet more boring. But that’s coming from someone who’s not a fan of newer Korean movies at all. Oldboy is the only one I “really” like, and then No Blood No Tears is a far off second. I guess I’m just partial to the older movies. I’ll take Kill the Shogun or even the Elton Chong classic Shaolin Drunk Monkey over Bittersweet any day.

You're missing out IMO! Of course Shaolin Drunken Monkey is a classic but there are many great modern ones. I wasn't mad about No Blood No Tears myself!

Have you seen Lady Vengeance, Joint Security Area, Tae Guk Gi, Antarctic Journal, Oasis?