I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Sign in to follow this  
spawn

What is this film?

Hi, new member here. I've been a huge fan of martial art films for most of my life, my favourite being Prodigal Son starring Yuen Biao.

The reason for this post is that i don't know the name of the first ever film i saw when i was just a wee grasshopper. It was in the 80's, though i'm not sure the film was made in that decade. Hopefully i will describe it well enough that someone may have seen it and know where i can get a copy.

The story is about a village taken over by bandits, a group of friends get together and plot a plan to trick the bandits into thinking a monk is protecting the village. The bandits see through the plan and the friend who was pretending to be the monk leaves the village on the promise of coming back as a trained monk. When he gets to the monastry, he isn't allowed inside, but gets caught sneeking inside and so is made to build a new wing of the monastry by himself. During the time it takes him to build the monastry he can see everyone train and copies them learning the art of kung fu (or similar). Eventually he leaves and goes back to the village and kicks ass!!!!

From what i can remember it wasn't a great film, i would just like to see it again. Does anyone have a clue what this film is?

Well, i've just seen Return to the 36th chamber, it's been at least 20 years since i last watched it. I thoroughly enjoyed the film!! Though 3 years of copying shaolin technique and he becomes a kung fu master?? Bit unrealistic! :tongue:

Well, i've just seen Return to the 36th chamber, it's been at least 20 years since i last watched it. I thoroughly enjoyed the film!! Though 3 years of copying shaolin technique and he becomes a kung fu master?? Bit unrealistic! :tongue:

3 years is OK time if one is talented and even better have some foundation in kung-fu.In these movies we see common dumbass becomes expert almost overnight.

I know it's not realistic and it doesn't really bother me, i was just commentating. Any way, my favourite film is Prodigal Son and Yuen Biao becomes a very good martial artist after a very short period of time. I don't get hung up on these parts of the films, it just makes me laugh sometimes. :tongue:

Notice how in 36th Chamber he couldn’t even be touched. In Return, he didn’t have as much training, so maybe that’s why his opponents actually put up a good fight at times. I was actually worried the first time I watched Return. Wang Lung Wei seemed invincible using his bench fighting style.

He also has a bench fight in Kid with a Tattoo. He should have used it in more movies. It's the highlight of both movies he used it in.

Wang Lung Wei seemed invincible using his bench fighting style.

He also has a bench fight in Kid with a Tattoo. He should have used it in more movies. It's the highlight of both movies he used it in.

I think his "Golden Statue of a Naked Woman" technique was pretty good as well....:tongue: