teako170

PC monitor as TV screen?

Anyone have a computer monitor hooked up to their DVD player?

I don't want to buy a new TV for one of my bedrooms so instead I thought of hooking up a small flat screen monitor to one of my DVD players. Don't plan to watch "cable TV," just the discs, so been scanning the net for this type of set-up.

Anyone else try this?

I dont think it's a good idea, since monitor has really high resolution compare to your TV. To play full screen you have to stretch the image, graphic wise not really good. I bought all my TV from craiglist recently. I'm sure a lot of local people has monentary problem that willing to sell their lcd tv super cheap. I bought a 52" tv + bluray (both samsung) player for a mere $550 from the guy who was 3 houses away from my house. He posted on craiglist, I called him, checked it out, brought it home ._.

This sort of set-up certainly exists. Quite a few of the China-made DVD players have a VGA connection (in addition to video, SVHS, component etc). If you connected to a monitor with VGA input that would work.

More recent monitors sometimes have HDMI in. That would work for an upscaling DVD player (or Bluray) which has HDMI out.

Many monitors have DVI-in sockets. DVI is an alternative You could go from HDMI on your DVD - to DVI on the montior. There are cables which have HDMI on one end, DVI the other. There are also HDMI - DVI adapters.

A word of warning. DVI carries video only. So you would need to output sound seperately.

If you go the HDMI route, I would suggest getting a computer monitor with speakers built in.

When i didnt have DVD player in my room...i used to play DVDs on my computer, so if you have a DVD drive you can do that also

Yes, I have 2 DVD drives on my PC but my plan is to hook up the monitor to a DVD/VHS combo player and transfer tapes to disc.

Anyhow, appreciate your responses guys. After doing some further research, I'm going to just pick up a used 15" TV for $50 or so and attach that to the DVD player. Seems the simplest/cheapest way to go....

When I was contemplating getting a new TV for my bedroom to replace my old cathode ray tube TV, I agonized for months over whether I should get a computer monitor or an LCD TV. The price difference wasn't so great between the monitor and TV, and I didn't want to deal with the headache of buying components that didn't work when I hooked them together to the monitor. At least with a TV, you KNOW the HDMI connection will work. Also, TVs will have built in tuners, so you can pull digital signals out of the air with a rabbit ears antenna, which you can't do with a monitor. For those, you'd have to get a DVD or blu ray player with a built in HD tuner or some kind of receiver with an HD tuner, which is adding more expense.

In the end, I ended up spending 600 or so bucks on a 42 inch plasma. I haven't regretted it since. But do a lot of research if you're spending more than $300 on a new TV.

I went for plasma because I read about the better refresh rates and the truer to life colors, but they only make them 42 inches and larger. It was a little awkward in the beginning, but now I can't imagine life without it. I love watching not just movies, but old TV shows where they used to put them on film. When they upconvert, it looks really nice, like watching shows like CHiPs or The Love Boat in a movie theater. :)

KFS

When I was contemplating getting a new TV for my bedroom to replace my old cathode ray tube TV, I agonized for months over whether I should get a computer monitor or an LCD TV. The price difference wasn't so great between the monitor and TV, and I didn't want to deal with the headache of buying components that didn't work when I hooked them together to the monitor. At least with a TV, you KNOW the HDMI connection will work. Also, TVs will have built in tuners, so you can pull digital signals out of the air with a rabbit ears antenna, which you can't do with a monitor. For those, you'd have to get a DVD or blu ray player with a built in HD tuner or some kind of receiver with an HD tuner, which is adding more expense.

In the end, I ended up spending 600 or so bucks on a 42 inch plasma. I haven't regretted it since. But do a lot of research if you're spending more than $300 on a new TV.

I went for plasma because I read about the better refresh rates and the truer to life colors, but they only make them 42 inches and larger. It was a little awkward in the beginning, but now I can't imagine life without it. I love watching not just movies, but old TV shows where they used to put them on film. When they upconvert, it looks really nice, like watching shows like CHiPs or The Love Boat in a movie theater. :)

KFS

KFS Hello !!!

I must comment here although it is slightly off topic ,Sorry !!

Just this last year I could finally realize my Dream of Serious Big Screens ! I was able to by 2 (!) big screen TVs ! I got one Plasma & one LCD ( That was the end day for the piggy bank !!) .

Since the LCD is slightly bigger than the Plasma I choose it for my bedroom & the Plasma for my living room/ studio. This I could give myself a serious kick in the behind for, as I now think the plasma is WAY BETTER than LCD !! I know nothing of the technical aspect but judging by eyes Plasma is the Kung fu master of the TVs !!!

I love it !!!!!

I spent about a day putting this "monsters " up on the wall with very little help ( What a nightmare !!) but will have to switch them !! Every night I put on a movie in the bedroom I always irritate myself "GREEN " , thinking "If only it was the OTHER TV" !! Hehe !

To me Plasma = Han & LCD = Manchu !!

& I am a loyal patriot KFS !

Talk soon I hope ? Athena ..;)

Thank you for backing me up on the plasma, Athena! And for being a loyal patriot against the Manchu invaders! :)

It's too bad that plasma appears to be the dying technology, or so I thought. Like I said, the negatives of plasma are probably that you can't make a TV smaller than 42 inches, so if someone is looking for a tiny TV, then go for the LCD and that LED one they're working on.

Refresh rates and colors are what sold me on Plasma. LCD is slowly increasing their refresh rates. The problem is, when you buy a new TV, it's obsolete by the next year because they've decided to increase the refresh rate. It's almost criminal how slowly their doing that with LCDs and LEDs.

I hope you get your plasma and LCDs switched soon. One other issue with plasmas that you might need to consider if you didn't - the TVs work best in a darker room because of the glass. I'm surprised they just don't put on anti-reflective coating like they do with eyeglasses. :)

KFS

Thank you for backing me up on the plasma, Athena! And for being a loyal patriot against the Manchu invaders! :)

It's too bad that plasma appears to be the dying technology, or so I thought. Like I said, the negatives of plasma are probably that you can't make a TV smaller than 42 inches, so if someone is looking for a tiny TV, then go for the LCD and that LED one they're working on.

Refresh rates and colors are what sold me on Plasma. LCD is slowly increasing their refresh rates. The problem is, when you buy a new TV, it's obsolete by the next year because they've decided to increase the refresh rate. It's almost criminal how slowly their doing that with LCDs and LEDs.

I hope you get your plasma and LCDs switched soon. One other issue with plasmas that you might need to consider if you didn't - the TVs work best in a darker room because of the glass. I'm surprised they just don't put on anti-reflective coating like they do with eyeglasses. :)

KFS

Wow KFS !

You just gave me the motivation to get this " important switch " (LOL !) planed for tomorrow !! My studio/living room lighting is (pretty) bright & the PLASMA still looks amazing there ...!

In my bedroom I keep the lights always dimmed very low so that means IT WILL LOOK EVEN BETTER THAN I EXPECT !!!

I can not wait !

Thank you for the INCENTIVE to get this "labor (hard work !!) of love " of mine scheduled finally KFS !!

Great !!!, Athena the Han ..;) LOL !!

My Samsung lcd tv has been great. I just plug my laptop computer into it, and BAM! Huge HD monitor! It's great, I have no problems seeing words, images look great and colorful. The only problem is the lcd's generate lots of heat, and can make your room hot, but it's great in the winter. When I turn it on with my p3 in the winter it keeps my room warm with no heater.

Hello DragonSword !

Hope you are recovering well after you escape from death ? (You are BLESSED indeed...!)

I do not at all say LCD is bad ! Mine LCD is Samsung too ,& it is very good !

But I was able to put myself in the unusual position of purchasing both types ( similar sizes, slight difference ) at the same time, so I have had a good opportunity to compare.

Nerd that I am I often took one dvd straight from one to the other to see the comparison !

But I think it is off course a personal preference involved too, I am just very into the "look "Plasma provides...The sharp, crisp look but with a still very pleasing smooth soft tone ... I do believe Plasma & LCD provides different "looks" that you can see.

But it is all a personal preference !

Here is to your HEALTH DragonSword , Athena ..;)

Wow KFS !

You just gave me the motivation to get this " important switch " (LOL !) planed for tomorrow !! My studio/living room lighting is (pretty) bright & the PLASMA still looks amazing there ...!

In my bedroom I keep the lights always dimmed very low so that means IT WILL LOOK EVEN BETTER THAN I EXPECT !!!

I can not wait !

Thank you for the INCENTIVE to get this "labor (hard work !!) of love " of mine scheduled finally KFS !!

Great !!!, Athena the Han ..;) LOL !!

I hope you and your cats enjoy the new set up.

KFS

As others have said, plasma is definitely the way to go if you are serious about picture quality. The contrast, refresh rates, black levels, etc. all easily surpass LCDs and, IMO do a much better job handling SD content as well.

There are 32" and 37" Plasmas made, but they are not as readily available. Panasonic makes a 37" and VisionQuest makes a 32".