I would like to thank everyone who was able to make a donation for the purpose of obtaining new features for the forum. The donation goal was met rather quickly and we here at Kung Fu Fandom can not thank you enough for the support. The plan is once the new site is up and running, the focus will then turn to the forum on updating and adding these new features and we will continue to strive to make your time spent here on the forum as enjoyable as possible. _/|\_

Ronin

MESSAGE FROM SPACE Finally on DVD with English subs/dub

Amazon Link

Just got this disc yesterday from Amazon and it is a fantastic presentation of the film. Anamorphic widescreen, Japanese and English audio tracks, Chinese and English subtitles - all region. The English subtitles are very thorough - all the opening credits are subbed. There are a bunch of the original Japanese trailers for the film included as extras, as well as a nice photo gallery.

The disc is credited to Eastern Star HK. Eastern Star = Discotek, so I think they actually produced this disc. Probably licensed it for HK and are "importing" it back to the US.

Anyway, if you are fan of this film (and I LOVE this movie) then this is the disc to get.

qOSmIJCHqcQ

Cool! Thanks for the link, Ronin.

CHIBA + SANADA + SHIHOMI + Eng Subs = must get DVD! :smile:

Plus the direction of Kinji Fukasaku aka The Man (Battles Without Honor, Battle Royale) and Vic Morrow finding glowing walnuts in his scotch. It is a film of undeniable sexiness.

Those expecting a Chiba action fest will be disappointed, this is a purely "SF" film. Chiba fights Mikio Narita's silver skinned Rockseia by sword, but that's about it.

It's a wonderful film, very 70s. It was made to cash in on Star Wars (Lucas totally saw this film and used its finale for Return of the Jedi, ironically) but it owes just as much to Satomi Hakkenden, the Japanese epic novel which Fukasaku would later apart into Legend of the Eight Samurai. Message From Space is dated badly, but that just makes it more wonderful to me. Tell me the trailer above doesn't make your heart sore with delight. It's like Inframan in many ways, but with a little more heart.

I'm probably gonna scoop this up, even though it looks like a bootleg.

As Stuntman Jules put it, it's a wonderful film - not only the best of the 70s Star Wars rip offs but a fun flick in it's own right, too.

It's a shame it still hasn't really had a wide release here in the West where it's still unfairly derided. Perhaps now a subbed print is out that might change and the film can finally shed an image it doesn't deserve.

And Lucas totally ripped it off for Return of the Jedi, absolutely!!

Agree with Jules and Karlos- with the availability of this new widescreen print (subbed or dubbed options), I think this film will get a big following. Thank you Discotek! :nerd:

How did Lucas rip off Jedi? They ripped Lucas off! Are you sure Lucas has watched this movie?

Both MFS and Jedi's endings are extremely similar.

There's also a shot in MFS that's in Empire Strikes Back, as well.

It seems more than mere coincidence in both cases.

DragonSword- also, Kinji Fukasaku spelled backward... wait for it... that's right, it spells Ukasakuf Ijnik, which is of course the Greedonian way of spelling... George Lucas. Coincidence? I think not!

I remember this movie came on every summer on WNUV Baltimore Channel 54 when I was a kid. As a fan of Star Wars and martial arts movies, this was fun to watch. I will be getting this...

The run through the Death Star in Jedi looks almost shot for shot like the "chicken run" through the Gavana's fortress. I would say it's mere coincidence, but I think it's almost certain that George Lucas saw the film. Not only are the two scenes similar, but he is known for being a pretty big fan of Japanese cinema and all.

This sounds very sketchy indeed.

I find it hard to believe Toei has ever been informed of this "officially licenced import". With Toei charging huge sums from foreign distributors, this one comes out from nowhere and with no marketing campaign. They call it an import, but the same disc has never been released in any other country (Toei's dvd is different content wise). Discotek's official site has no mention of this "secretly released import"...

I hope this doesn't mean Discotek is slipping with the legal aspects, especially with their recent dvds featuring transfers or extras sourced for French dvds. I hope HK Video knows their Burning Paradise transfer is being distributed in the US, and Studio Canal is aware their exclusive Jailhouse 41 extras are no longer exclusive... Maybe they do. I hope so.

Discotek's official site has no mention of this "secretly released import

Discotek's site has no mention of a few of their titles or press releases or....

Their site updates tend to be sporadic and haphazard, but they are legit.

I just recently bought this:

Message From Space(Eastern Star DVD).

I watched most of it, and enjoyed what I saw, but as others have stated in reviews, the English dub track is wanting, as some voices are clear and some are hard to understand. So, I want to watch it all again with the Japanese track and subs.

I also just got, in the mail today,

Sayonara Jupiter(Discotek DVD).

I have not seen this before, yet.

It looks good.

When I bought Message From Space, I also got War In Space.

I bought all these from Discotek's eBay store.

War In Space was pretty good. It had some hokey parts that I think hurt it, like the Chewbacca creature, and the bad guy being green in a Roman uniform.

Overall, the film is played straight, and has some cool effects.

Arggh! The eBay link is bad! I think I need this...

And there is a certian irony in the phrase Star Wars rip-off!

Well let's say Japanese Star Wars. Saw this in the early 80s dubbed in English. Was fun at the time but don't know if it has dated well.